Who Cares about what they Eat? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #31
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i just watched Food, inc. All i can say is WOW. our country is screwed.

Organic food is extremely hard to certify. Its almost impossible to say that there are no chemicals in the soil or air. There are fertilizers that are all natural, but not organic, and there are fertilizers that are organic but are chemically derived. I think a strong first step is to buy LOCAL. Not organic.

organic is becoming a profit label. The corporations can charge more for the "organic" food. for example, wild fish is not and can not be organic. just because there is no way to truly verify all the sources of its food.

that brings up another question of mine. Is a cow that is feed non organic corn, or soy, but with out hormones or anything still organic?
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #32
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
My mother is a health food nut, I had to take cod liver oil when younger. arg.
I do not like vegetables to this day. But I take multi vitamins....question...is that good enough???
Old 01-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
alex62390
BACON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyrider_tim View Post
I do not like vegetables to this day. But I take multi vitamins....question...is that good enough???
if you like chemical nourishment, its a good start. A good diet would not require them. That does not mean that you can even find food that contains the correct nutrients. Most soil is so depleted, and fertilizer does not provide everything to the plant, to make the correct vitamins. hydro broccoli does not always have as much calcium as natural organic broccoli.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 01-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #34
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I eat a dairy inclusive paleolithic diet (during the week), but pig out hard on the weekends. I essentially live off eggs, ground round, cheese, milk and whatever veggies I eat. Fatty meats are not your enemy.
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #35
alex62390
BACON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman355 View Post
I eat a dairy inclusive paleolithic diet (during the week), but pig out hard on the weekends. I essentially live off eggs, ground round, cheese, milk and whatever veggies I eat. Fatty meats are not your enemy.
fatty meats are the enemy, are even if you aren't fat. I am 6'2" about 175 ( wet before my morning dump) for the record. What i eat does not and can not effect my weight.

A corn fed cow has 9 times more fat then a grass fed cow. Red meat, in its natural grass feed state, is not the enemy, its high in valuable nutrition. Its the way we are growing the food thats bad, creating worse and worse foods. before feed lots for cows they did not need to give them antibiotics. the cows are so weak now that they NEED to be slaughtered sooner, before they die on their own. same with chickens, and pigs.

i buy local eggs, walking distance from my house and eat 4 for breakfast 3 days a week.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 01-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #36
Duffman355
Tasty Red Meat

Fan#: 31282
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue SE Sport 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 43 Duffman355 Great Standing Member
fish oil pills ftw
ST Crew #11 / SSR #5
Official Mayo Hater #1
Randomie's Lover #8
Old 01-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #37
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyrider_tim View Post
It's better to get your nutrients from uncooked vegetables like what is described in the Gerson diet- which is not a diet to lose weight, but a diet for nutrition and healthy living. Now, real world crashes in. There are a lot of people out there who can't stomach uncooked veggies. It's something that you have to build up to, or- like you- there are those who simply don't like veggies cooked or uncooked. You're a Southerner- or Texan- so I can assume that the veggies you were fed were straight up veggies, maybe with some butter, or combined together like butter beans, green beans, field peas, and sweet corn simmered together with some pork fat seasoning (it's what's for dinner here tonight). You don't want to look at it- I can't stand cauliflower myself.

There are other ways to get nutrients from veggies besides just eating the veggies. So many dishes like hummus which is really cheap to make if you have a food processor that's strong enough- I killed my Oster blender with one, but the Cuisinart has survived. This is uncooked, and full of protein as well as essential vitamins and minerals (not all of course), and doesn't look like veggies. Juicers are mentioned as a great way to get the nutrients out of vegetables without having to eat veggies- you drink them. There are several recipes for some really good tasting veggie juices out there. It is possible, and I've proven it recently- to make a meal that's mostly (if not all) nutrient rich veggies without missing the missing meat, or having to look at the veggies your mom forced down your throat. Fruits too can be mixed, and fruit juices frozen for later use. Like you make a lot of fruit combination juices when fruits are in season, then you don't have to pay as much in the winter.

The trick I'm trying to learn is what nutrients are in X food, what's lost by cooking, and so forth. Then learn how to combine these things in a way that's palatable and as pleasing as possible. Thankfully the internet (and USA immigrants who believe in learning English) gives us access to world reaching international recipes without having to purchase a library.

Now to answer your question Tim, it is better for you to take vitamins. Sure, there's a lot of processing that comes with vitamins, and labs. Where there's processing (you work in industrial, me too, so you know) there's contaminants, and when it comes to food- MSG. Gelatin is an MSG rich additive- according to the MSG freaks 78% of gelatin is MSG. MSG occurs naturally, and is fine- however the MSG we find in processed foods and products is not that MSG. It acts more like a neurotoxin that prevents re-uptake similar to many poisons.

That being said, I'm just regurgitating what I've been reading recently about MSG. Personally, I now avoid MSG in foods, but I'm not throwing away my vitamins. I'm interested in making sure all essential nutrients are in the foods I eat, but I'm still going to take supplements. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to do something I'm not. The amount of gelatin in any pill is negligible, and the effects likely minor. What you might want to research is "Vitamin Therapy" which will lead you to discover which vitamins to focus on for your special needs- niacin for depression, C for boosting the immune system, D for boosting melanin, and so forth. Keep in mind that it's not something you can jump into. It might be advised to take 3000 mg of C daily during the flu season, but I doubt you could stomach that much in pills.

Alex62390: FoodInc is scary, but the other 2 are more likely to get you doing your own research into superfoods and nutritious eating. Some of those international dishes are really very good as well. I can already swear that Mousakke is a good substitute for lasagna if the eggplant is prepared correctly, and Falafels in pita with cucumber yogurt sauce- basically a veggie Gyro is not the same, but damn good if the right falafel recipe is followed. If it doesn't have at least a cup of parsley and a cup of cilantro- it's not right.

Duffman: There's nothing wrong with that diet. You already know it! Eggs are considered a superfood in spite of the cholesterol and fats. Fats are beneficial for people who exercise- and that's been proven in tests. If you wanted my advice, I'd suggest you do research on what you typically eat to see what nutrients you might be missing and supplement accordingly. I'm not on some crusade for food animal rights like ultra-righteous vegans, but at the same time I can't overlook what's good about what they eat. Neither meats nor fats are the enemy in my book, but everything has it's place. I have an uncle who has been a vegetarian since '69 or so. He's just as fat and unhealthy as my father, in fact, he might be worse. The diet has to be balanced for healthy living, and appropriate for whatever goals a person might have for their diet whether it be weight loss or vitamin therapy.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #38
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Oh, I forgot to mention, but I think I did some time before: Recommended daily allowances of anything are not what it takes to remain healthy, it's the minimum to avoid a serious vitamin deficiency disease like scurvy, for example.

Quote:
Old 01-07-2011, 06:22 AM   #39
alex62390
BACON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post

Alex62390: FoodInc is scary, but the other 2 are more likely to get you doing your own research into superfoods and nutritious eating. Some of those international dishes are really very good as well. I can already swear that Mousakke is a good substitute for lasagna if the eggplant is prepared correctly, and Falafels in pita with cucumber yogurt sauce- basically a veggie Gyro is not the same, but damn good if the right falafel recipe is followed. If it doesn't have at least a cup of parsley and a cup of cilantro- it's not right.
I watched King Corn, and The Future of Foods, yesterday. my Mommy makes me hummus ll the time, it tastes good. never had a falafel, but my sister makes palali (sp?) traditional food in Barcelona, its not to bad, and looks healthy.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #40
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

The other 2 I was referring to were "A Beautiful Truth" and "Food Matters". Both on instant view.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->