Who Cares about what they Eat? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2010, 05:18 PM   #21
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 25,851, Level 96
Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 PM   #22
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Points 25,851, Level 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Arrestmespi, you seem well informed. 95% of the food americans eat is messed with in the sense that it is either over processed, stripped of nutrients which are replaced with sugars, salts, and oils, genetically modified, loaded up with hromons or pesticides. Oh and you dont have to worry about tye FDA because they rarely do their job and have left it up to the food companies themselves to decide whether their product is safe for you or not.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #23
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

Points 9,034, Level 63
Points: 9,034, Level: 63 Points: 9,034, Level: 63 Points: 9,034, Level: 63
Level Up 95% Completed
Level up: 95% Level up: 95% Level up: 95%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Not just the nurtition lable, read the ingrediants, which imo is even more important. The lable has been outdated for over 15 years and the basis and testing which is done to come up with it hasnt been changed since the 80s, i wouldnt hold it to high. Say something has 20 grams of sugar, doesnt seem like much...but then what if you look at the ingrediants and their is sugar or hfcs the second ingrediant...20grams seems pretty big then.
Yeah I read the ingredients too, I just meant the Nut. label as a general term for "the back of the package".
Old 12-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #24
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Points 25,851, Level 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
Yeah I read the ingredients too, I just meant the Nut. label as a general term for "the back of the package".
I figured...just wanted to go into it to throw some info out there.

Oh and good for you too jmiller. Im actually really surprised of the responses on here.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #25
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I though I should add that I used to eat the worst crap available(I still have a special place in My heart for Jack in the Box tacos, lol) up until about 2 years ago, when I finally accepted that I no longer have the hyper metabolism I had in My youth, lol. I grew up with a nice organic garden that took up most of Our back yard, so I was familiar with healthier choices without having to be pointed in the right direction, but as for taking it all so seriously nowadays, I'm pretty new. I still smoke, but some demons are harder to slay than others, I guess.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #26
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Arrestmespi, you seem well informed. 95% of the food americans eat is messed with in the sense that it is either over processed, stripped of nutrients which are replaced with sugars, salts, and oils, genetically modified, loaded up with hromons or pesticides. Oh and you dont have to worry about tye FDA because they rarely do their job and have left it up to the food companies themselves to decide whether their product is safe for you or not.
I buy beef by going to a friends farm and telling him that one and he doesn't use hormones and antibiotics(unless necessary which is rare), I own a share of a farm and pick up a box of fresh veggies and fruit once a week, what I can't eat at the time I either can, freeze, or dehydrate. I have my own garden in which I grow a decent amount of my own, and if I want to plant more I have 5 acres on farm land that I can do what ever I want with. All of my home plant selection is heritage, none genetically modified seeds. Most of the farm I bought the share of is the same, there pesticide use is minimal, in my garden it is none existent. Any biological or even paper product in my trash is processed into mulch.
I eat out 4 to 5 days a week for lunch, do to my company reimbursing me if I am away from my office(union contract rule) but I tend to choose a better quality of food and stay away from BK and McDs and the alike.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #27
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Points 25,851, Level 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestmespi View Post
I buy beef by going to a friends farm and telling him that one and he doesn't use hormones and antibiotics(unless necessary which is rare), I own a share of a farm and pick up a box of fresh veggies and fruit once a week, what I can't eat at the time I either can, freeze, or dehydrate. I have my own garden in which I grow a decent amount of my own, and if I want to plant more I have 5 acres on farm land that I can do what ever I want with. All of my home plant selection is heritage, none genetically modified seeds. Most of the farm I bought the share of is the same, there pesticide use is minimal, in my garden it is none existent. Any biological or even paper product in my trash is processed into mulch.
I eat out 4 to 5 days a week for lunch, do to my company reimbursing me if I am away from my office(union contract rule) but I tend to choose a better quality of food and stay away from BK and McDs and the alike.

There really needs to be a ff like button. Sorry for doubting you, but your previous posts made it sound like you were the opposite. I wish I was as fortunate as you to hve all that selection around me.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #28
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just got done looking at juicers- for anyone following this thread. There are 2 types, masticulating and centrifugal slicers. The masticulating will be more expensive and slower, but get more juice with less waste. It basically uses gears to press and grind up what you put in it. The centrifugal slicer is most common, faster, but with more waste. The waste is not waste, of course, just ground up mush. I think we're going with a Hamilton Beach model that was second dog in a Consumer Reports article, but costs 1/3 of the top dog: Juiceman Pro.

You also need a second juicer for citrus fruits, but I think my Cuisinart food processor juices as well- if I can find the manual and the pieces.

I've found Spirulina cheap ($10/lb powder) from "nutsonline". I'm hoping to force feed some of this down my mother's throat. She was treated (or irradiated and poisoned) for cancer about 20 years ago and they didn't tell her to exercise and stretch her neck. The treatment caused her muscles and nerves in the back of her neck to decay, so that now she can't lift her head. The treatment: more poison- Botox!

Arrestmespi- I wish I had your resources. My farm friends grow hay. We'll see how it goes, with a Kroger literally across the street, I haven't tried to find fresh veggies, but I didn't know then what I know now.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #29
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
There really needs to be a ff like button. Sorry for doubting you, but your previous posts made it sound like you were the opposite. I wish I was as fortunate as you to hve all that selection around me.

Posted via FF Mobile
It's a great thing living in Farm country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Arrestmespi- I wish I had your resources. My farm friends grow hay. We'll see how it goes, with a Kroger literally across the street, I haven't tried to find fresh veggies, but I didn't know then what I know now.
You can always start a garden at your house. I lived in a townhouse growing up and my parents always, and still have a garden.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #30
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Ok lets get off the butt rubbing, guilt tripping, and get back to topic: food industry dietetic poisoning of the general population, and how to avoid it for the sake of health and well being. Maybe if we get past that we can move on to "freaky" benefits of high doses of vitamins. To gather a bit of interest for future discussion- I take 2-3 niacin tablets before banging the old lady, and the effect is similar to Extenze.

OK, so I'm sitting here, and noticing that there are a lot of people interested in these sorts of things- even though this forum isn't devoted to anything "green". That's great, in my experiences it takes about 20 years for something to get from people to the national leadership, either that or it takes the national leadership 20 years to figure out how to profit from the ideas of the "little people".

I've been doing some shopping around as well, trying to figure out where I'm going to find some good food sources for organic foods. Then a thought occurred to me- if you're paying a premium for organic foods, don't you want to be sure that what you're getting is really organic? If I was Monsanto or Cargill, and I saw the growing trend, I'd jump all over it. Now they can get even more money for their patented seeds that are destroying the bee and butterfly population. Who's to say it's not organic? Certainly not the FDA who would be more than happy to certify their lobbyist's product as organic without so much as a test tube of proof.

Now, of course we can go visit Farmer Joe down the road, and that's about the closest we can hope to get to real organic. Is it really organic though? Most farms have used pesticides at some point. All pesticides are related to military chemical warfare agents, and most have a life of decades in the soil. The idea is that the pesticide would build up in the soil reducing necessary treatments, but the reality is that the pests build up a resistance. There's no telling how many years Farmer Joe used pesticides so he could have a larger crop for market. A man has to make a living somehow- if it profited more than what he paid for it, I'm sure he used it more than once. That leaves us paying more for a product that is still giving us trace amounts of neurotoxins.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting a headache already. I haven't thought this much about something since I studied for my masters license.

Worse than the dilemma of finding true organic food is avoiding MSG it's derivatives, or ingredients where it is a substantial part. That's like almost everything out there- at least all the things I do enjoy. MSG is not new, it's been around for a very long time, and the Romans actually craved a version of MSG derived from fermented fish called garum for ancient recipes. Some store bought spices contain MSG, so I'm reading labels I never thought I'd read.

BTW- one of the driving forces here is my daughter. I fully intend on her being able to out perform at least 50% of Memphis kids in placement tests even though she has Down Syn. I certainly wouldn't want her to be held back because I was feeding her trace amounts of toxins.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.