Who Cares about what they Eat? - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I doubt that most of the food I eat is messed with....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,103, Level 97
Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97 Points: 27,103, Level: 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
I do. I'm the dude reading the Nut. label before it goes in my cart. If it doesn't provide anything for me, why would I pay for it? Just to eat it and be hungry again in 5 minutes.
That's the effect of MSG and it's derivatives. I've only been really digging into this (fear of becoming a neo-hippie) in the past couple of days. That stuff is ridiculous- search excitotoxins. Aspartame, contained in all diet sodas and other diet sugary foods, is also really insane. Lab tests show it turns into methanol at temps over 86F. Now what was body temperature? Anyway, some people believe it is a cause, if not the cause, of Desert Storm disease. My mother is old, but not that old. I had to move back in with them about 10 years ago, and while I was there I noticed she was returning to the house for something she forgot very regularly- sometimes twice. She didn't believe me when I told her it could be due to Diet Coke. "A study comes out every few years that this or that is bad for you, then good for you again." Ok, well she finally humored me, and now she won't touch diet soda or anything with aspartame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJohnson View Post
You need to maintain a healthy diet for life.
Oh yeah, that's the distinction I was looking for in people who commented. Diet is what we eat every day to provide ourselves with the proper nutrients for the body to run itself as best as it can. Remember, the recommended daily minimum allowance is just that- 60 mg of Vit C is enough to keep you from getting scurvy. That's what the minimum is about. The benefits of eating more than the minimum are well documented. I work outside, and double up on V-C taking 2k mg every day in the winter. I never get sick, and when I do it's not as debilitating as it is for others. Either that or they are just sissies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJohnson View Post
And yeah is there is a ton of sh!t that's bad for us that for some reason is fed to us anyway. Like mercury. I have my ideas on why.
Is the "Government Flu" by the DK's I hear in the background? I swear I didn't even think of looking up the dictionary definition of amalgam until I started writing that last night. That's extremely freaky. If you have Netflix, check out "A Beautiful Truth", "Food Matters", and the more famous "Supersize Me" is quite funny as well. I was most impressed by the cardiologist's response on Day 21. How do you go from above average health to "you might die within the next week" in 3 weeks: eat McD's 3 meals a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
probably cost of production is cheap..... I'm sure that's one of your ideas.
Nope, just more proof that it's an industrial complex that controls our leadership. It's amazing how many heads of the FDA were employed by companies like Cargill or Monsanto, then went back to those companies after serving "the people". I'd define that as treason against the people of the USA, and punish accordingly. We saw recently what putting industrial lackeys in charge of safety for mining operations did for 43 families in WV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex62390 View Post
I try not to eat a lot of shit.
Me too, it doesn't smell great, and I feel all the nutrients are already gone. Kinda like everything you can get at Taco Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tukaniSVT View Post
I have also opted to eat Fish and chicken as opposed to red meat.

Also, my wife and I have been choosing sandwiches over burgers as best as we can.

I started doing this when my father became ill and same with my mother. Also had a talk with my other family members (Aunts and Uncles) and over a year ago and we talked about the High Cholesterol, Diabetes and Cancer that plagues our family line.
You definitely need to watch those programs I mentioned to Mr. Johnson, I think you do have Netflix IIRC. I don't think anyone who doesn't have a serious disease needs to go as far as the Gerson diet suggests, however there's nothing wrong with getting the nutrients from juicing your own veggies. Veggie juice OTC is not the same, it's processed. When I worked at Cargill, I watched pigeons fly into the giant vats of processed corn being stirred, and I've seen the poisoned rats fall in there as well. I've also worked at Fleishman's and Kelloggs- there's not a lot of difference. Make your own veggie/fruit juice with a quality juicer, and you'll save enough in medical expenses to make it worthwhile in the long run. I think it's worthwhile to investigate this stuff, but I'm not for taking meat or spices completely out of my diet. There are a ton of alternatives though, and if you're interested in cooking like I am, it is possible to make veggie meals that even a full time carnivore can enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeladict View Post
lately ive been really thinking of like a daily multi-vitamin.
I used to do a lot of that. Those are ok, but only the minimum as I related above. Also, some of those manufacturers also put things like MSG in their vitamins- it's part of the processing, an aftereffect. I still take V supplements, usually the pills that just have one vitamin in them. The best way to get your vitamins is still the natural way, but that takes a lot of dedication. If I were undedicated (like I have been for many years) then I'd do like I was doing and take 2 multi-vitamins, and V-C supplements during the winter to scare off the colds. That sinus cocktail that the doctors shoot us up with at med clinics during the sniffly season is mostly V-C, about 10k mg, plus a little steroids. That costs $120 the last time I did it- I can get a lot of V-C for that. I know you're young, but if you ever take a job at night- be sure to supplement your vitamin therapy with D. IDK if you knew it or not but suicide and depression rates are higher for people who work at night, as well as disease- but that might just be them laying out after partying with some daywalkers- LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestmespi View Post
I'm 24 and I think diet is just die with a t on the end, I eat 3-4 cows a year and am damn proud of it. I eat what I want and if I die early then I die early, but happy, I didn't climb my way to the top of the food chain to eat rabbit food.
Heart attacks are life changing. Most people don't die from them- instead it's just a few weeks of hospital torture. I'd never suggest leaving meat alone- just planning what we eat on a daily basis to make sure we get all the right nutrients- that's diet. You don't have to do it, because the only 3 things you have to do in life are eat, die, and pay taxes. Most people are like you, and don't want to think about what they eat. If they have a problem, then there's a pill for that sold somewhere, and hopefully covered by insurance. I've only recently become interested in preventative medicine, nutrition, and the like- and I'm nearly 40. All my 60 yr old friends are spending more time in the hospital than vacationing with their families. I've seen that with my own eyes, and I've also seen how a relative's extended illness can destroy a young familie's future. Your alarm clock just hasn't gone off yet. Maybe you'll get lucky and the FDA will start being more of the agency we think it should be by the time you're my age.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I try to avoid synthetic additives(HFCS, Sucralose, milk with rBST or rBGH, partially hydrogenated anything oil, etc.) and rarely eat fast food at all anymore, mainly because I don't like how I feel afterward. I also cook damn near every meal I enjoy, and shop at a local Farmers Market whenever possible, in hopes of getting steroid-free meats and milk, and prematurely chemically-ripened produce.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
FDA better stay out of my business
Old 12-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
MikeF2D
Fist Pumpin' Champ

Fan#: 54450
What I Drive: 2008 Black SE coupe

FF Reputation: 17 MikeF2D Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Im only 18, 19 in 2 weeks, and i watch what i eat, mainly because i workout so i need to do a 40/40/20 diet, and i eat alot..i mean ALOT of protein

Team Duratec #211
Learn from my mistakes....FRPP suspension is not god. Go to F.R.12 or GO HOME!
Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #16
1sloho
12 years strong

Fan#: 111
What I Drive: '02 zx5

Points 14,357, Level 77
Points: 14,357, Level: 77 Points: 14,357, Level: 77 Points: 14,357, Level: 77
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 1sloho Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
ughh..this thread is making me feel bad. lol. i really dont eat all that great. chips are my kryptonite!! i think its hereditary cause my grandfather ate pretty bad himself, and later on got diabetes. not to say that EVERYTHING i eat is horrible but, id say more than 60% is most likely bad. lol. i have my morning Monster energy drink to help wake me up(deffinatly not a morning person). after ill mostly drink water the rest of the day as my job gives us bottled water for free. ill easily drink 4-5 bottles of water at work. my girl does a good job at makin dinner in the evening but, when she doesnt feel like cooking, we'll most of the time go get fast food. ive got a great metabolism as im 6'2 and only weigh about 145lbs.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #17
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestmespi View Post
I doubt that most of the food I eat is messed with....
Really? Lol how often do you eat out, do you eat all organic?
Old 12-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,103, Level 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF2D View Post
Im only 18, 19 in 2 weeks, and i watch what i eat, mainly because i workout so i need to do a 40/40/20 diet, and i eat alot..i mean ALOT of protein
In "Food Matters" one of the nutritionists recommended spirulina which is a kind of seaweed. IIRC, he said it contained the highest percentage of protein of any food. He might've meant any vegetable, but I haven't researched this on my own at all. I wouldn't have even remembered that comment if it hadn't been for my wife who was jumping up and down because that's common food in the Philippines. Here it's probably ridiculously expensive. Edit: added some info for you, I was right about it's protein content: http://www.nutritional-supplements-h...e-effects.html

This doesn't necessarily apply to you, but would apply to others reading this (I'm wholly surprised at so many commenters and afraid we'll be swapping recipes before it's over), but here's the site for some of the MSG information I touched on. I was surprised at how many other products listed on nutritional information contain MSG but because these are ingredients in themselves- it isn't listed separately.
http://www.msgmyth.com/

Yeah, really scared of becoming a neo-hippie, but I'm not at all sure it would be a bad thing. I've been telling my wife for a year now that if we wanted to lose weight- the best way was to just eat more veggies. Now she's seen the proof from another source so we have tons. Also mentioned in "Food Matters", most of the fresh produce you find at supermarkets is actually about a week old if not more due to shipping. It is actually better to get frozen veggies because those come from the farm directly to the freezer, and don't require any preservatives. Of course, a prudent individual would double check the label for MSG or derivatives.

Quote:
Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #19
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post

Yeah, really scared of becoming a neo-hippie.
nothing wrong with that
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #20
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,103, Level 97
Level Up 76% Completed
Forum Activity 4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex62390 View Post
nothing wrong with that
Yeah I know. I think the only bad part about that is the urge to drive a VW, and I think with the right Ford therapy I can beat that one.

Here's an article about Excitotoxins I found. There's a book too, as well as other books. This whole food thing has really taken me for a loop. I've not been so interested in researching for a long time. I do tend to be anti-establishment, but most research into those ideas leads you to realize there is a good reason. I'm not finding a good reason for mercury in fillings, and I'm thankful I don't have any fillings. There are epoxies- can't one of those be made safer than mercury infused silver?

Now I'm watching a movie on the food industry ("Food Inc.") and how the big food companies keep the farmers under their thumb through debt. Back when I was in my 20's I read about how within 10 years 5 corporations will control 90% of all business in the USA. It's really bad in the food industry, but some of those giant food corporations are owned by even more giant international corporations. The government, and government agencies are just a scam to keep us all following along with their plans. Government subsidies, like paying farmers not to grow corn, don't benefit the public or the world, but only benefit the food corporations like Tyson, ConAgra, or Cargill. Regulation is out the window, what we have now is FDA approved. A great deal of this is a result of deregulation ideas that gained popularity in the 80's with cowboy Ronnie who came to save the day for us...... or them.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks