Who Cares about what they Eat? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,598, Level 98
Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Who Cares about what they Eat?

Seriously, maybe it's a sign of being old and gritty now that I feel the effects of a poor diet much more than when I was young, dumb, and full of.....

Linda and I have been watching things on Netflix about the Gerson diet, and superfoods. I was wondering if anyone was a nutritionist, or if anyone else thought of a diet as a way to get all the necessary minerals and vitamins- not just a way to lose weight.

OH, that thing about dental amalgam- who knew it had mercury, a poisonous heavy metal that drives you insane in it. Yet the ADA will disown any dentist who speaks out against it- dig this, here's the definition of amalgam from my Apple dictionary: noun
a mixture or blend : a curious amalgam of the traditional and the modern.
Chemistry an alloy of mercury with another metal, esp. one used for dental fillings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRDC website
In adults, mercury poisoning can adversely affect fertility and blood pressure regulation and can cause memory loss, tremors, vision loss and numbness of the fingers and toes. A growing body of evidence suggests that exposure to mercury may also lead to heart disease.
I just thought to look that up here, too easy. That's scary.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

Points 9,048, Level 63
Points: 9,048, Level: 63 Points: 9,048, Level: 63 Points: 9,048, Level: 63
Level Up 99% Completed
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I do. I'm the dude reading the Nut. label before it goes in my cart. If it doesn't provide anything for me, why would I pay for it? Just to eat it and be hungry again in 5 minutes.

I'm a big fan of complex carbs (rice, bread, oats) and high fiber food. I have a very high metabolism, so the high fiber helps keep me feeling full.

Breakfast is oats every single morning. Provides awesome energy and keeps me full until lunch.

Lunch is where I can be a little unhealthy. Usually some kind of sandwich (tuna, turkey, peanut butter) on wheat. I always eat a granola bar along with whatever else (more oats).

I do eat a lot of TV dinners, but I try to make sure the calories from fat is 1/3 the total calories.

I drink a crap load of water, but thats been a lifelong thing for me, a 24 case will last me half a week. Other than water I drink V8, V8 Fusion or cranberry juice.

*That's not to say I won't hit up Taco Bell or Five Guys Burgers and Fries once in a while.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

Points 62,373, Level 100
Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100 Points: 62,373, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
IMO "dieting" is the wrong word. People "diet" and lose some weight and then go back to eating unhealthy and gain the weight back. You need to maintain a healthy diet for life.

I try to eat pretty healthy & I'm cutting out soda on the 1st. And yeah is there is a ton of sh!t that's bad for us that for some reason is fed to us anyway. Like mercury. I have my ideas on why.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,553, Level 94
Points: 23,553, Level: 94 Points: 23,553, Level: 94 Points: 23,553, Level: 94
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 17%
Activity: 17% Activity: 17% Activity: 17%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
probably cost of production is cheap..... I'm sure that's one of your ideas.

right, a diet doesn't work. It should be considered more of a lifestyle change if you want to keep the weight off and be healthy.

I'm trying to do well but damn school food is filled with so much crap, and they hardly have anything nutritional. And I'm required to buy a meal card too so I can't do my own thing unless I want to donate $900 to the school (yeah we don't get the money back) so I go with what's there. at least I can get water for no charge.

once I'm out of college I'm gonna be so much better on what I eat. I actually get to pick my food.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parted) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (racecar) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (daily).
ModeratingGeneral Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 12-31-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I try not to eat a lot of shit. home cook most my meals. limited fast food or heavily processed stuff, and I buy Mexican coke to help eliminate corn syrup. i am only 20 so i still love fried/ greasy food. i hate the feeling i get after eating a bunch of fast food
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

Points 36,339, Level 100
Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100 Points: 36,339, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have in the past couple of years have started to watch what I intake.

This year I have pushed off Sodas and my body doesn't feel pain like it use to. Water does wonders.

I have also opted to eat Fish and chicken as oppose to red meat. Though it is good to have a bit of red meat and I have had a couple of occasions where I have had meat, I am really trying to stick with fish and chicken.

Also, my wife and I have been choosing sandwiches over burgers as best as we can.

I started doing this when my father became ill and same with my mother. Also had a talk with my other family members (Aunts and Uncles) and over a year ago and we talked about the High Cholesterol, Diabetes and Cancer that plagues our family line. So, I wanted to try and battle that with eating better. My sisters are also doing the same thing now.

So we are doing a family watch what we eat thing. Helps when you have others around you doing it as well.

-Ray-
Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
2wheeladict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69029
What I Drive: 2005 focus zx4, 2003 cbr f4i

FF Reputation: 8 2wheeladict Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
well im 22, and have been eating horribly since i was little. (single mom trying to raise 3 boys she was always working and we were kinda on our own alot for dinner) it seemed like a switch as soon as i got my highschool diploma that my horrible diet started to show. ive thought about changing to a healthier diet, got a little bit better than what it was but not much. lately ive been really thinking of like a daily multi-vitamin.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #8
arrestmespi
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 27586
What I Drive: '04 Mazdaspeed Mx-5, '72 M35A2

FF Reputation: 27 arrestmespi Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
I'm 24 and I think diet is just die with a t on the end, I eat 3-4 cows a year and am damn proud of it. I eat what I want and if I die early then I die early, but happy, I didn't climb my way to the top of the food chain to eat rabbit food.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestmespi View Post
I'm 24 and I think diet is just die with a t on the end, I eat 3-4 cows a year and am damn proud of it. I eat what I want and if I die early then I die early, but happy, I didn't climb my way to the top of the food chain to eat rabbit food.
i like your philosophy.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 12-31-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 25,851, Level 96
Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Seriously, maybe it's a sign of being old and gritty now that I feel the effects of a poor diet much more than when I was young, dumb, and full of.....

Linda and I have been watching things on Netflix about the Gerson diet, and superfoods. I was wondering if anyone was a nutritionist, or if anyone else thought of a diet as a way to get all the necessary minerals and vitamins- not just a way to lose weight.

OH, that thing about dental amalgam- who knew it had mercury, a poisonous heavy metal that drives you insane in it. Yet the ADA will disown any dentist who speaks out against it- dig this, here's the definition of amalgam from my Apple dictionary: noun
a mixture or blend : a curious amalgam of the traditional and the modern.
Chemistry an alloy of mercury with another metal, esp. one used for dental fillings.

I just thought to look that up here, too easy. That's scary.
Ive been looking up everything and anything for the past year and a half. Good for you man, its good you are being health conscious. As you dig deeper and start getting into all the lies and deciet, you wont believe some of the stuff you find out. Watch food inc and Future food. Future food is on hulu too. I could go into so much detail, but you seem to have a good head on your shoudlers and youll easily absorb all the info. If your a fan of podcasts and youtube check out underground wellness. They go into tons of stuff about health, from diet and excerise, to dentistry, pharmasuticals, water, the works.

I am flouride free as far as I know for the past 8 months. Some believe flouride was put into the water supply to make us more docile, which the nazis did in concentration camps. But one of the big things is flouride is a waste product from I believe its the aluminum industry, and they needed to find a cheap way of disposal. So they dumped it into the water and people started saying it was healthy for you. Mercury is another one of those things dentists say wont hurt you in their applications....my ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
I do. I'm the dude reading the Nut. label before it goes in my cart. If it doesn't provide anything for me, why would I pay for it? Just to eat it and be hungry again in 5 minutes.

I'm a big fan of complex carbs (rice, bread, oats) and high fiber food. I have a very high metabolism, so the high fiber helps keep me feeling full.

Breakfast is oats every single morning. Provides awesome energy and keeps me full until lunch.

Lunch is where I can be a little unhealthy. Usually some kind of sandwich (tuna, turkey, peanut butter) on wheat. I always eat a granola bar along with whatever else (more oats).

I do eat a lot of TV dinners, but I try to make sure the calories from fat is 1/3 the total calories.

I drink a crap load of water, but thats been a lifelong thing for me, a 24 case will last me half a week. Other than water I drink V8, V8 Fusion or cranberry juice.

*That's not to say I won't hit up Taco Bell or Five Guys Burgers and Fries once in a while.
Not just the nurtition lable, read the ingrediants, which imo is even more important. The lable has been outdated for over 15 years and the basis and testing which is done to come up with it hasnt been changed since the 80s, i wouldnt hold it to high. Say something has 20 grams of sugar, doesnt seem like much...but then what if you look at the ingrediants and their is sugar or hfcs the second ingrediant...20grams seems pretty big then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrestmespi View Post
What if your diet doesnt only effect you. Food is seriously messed with these days, you have no idea of its effects on you or your children or childrens children.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.