Problem with 2.0 L DOHC engine - Ford Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Dilyan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81432
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Dilyan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Problem with 2.0 L DOHC engine - Ford Focus

Hi guys, Marry Christmas .
I have 2005 ZX5 2.0 L on 118000 km manual and from a while the engine start knocking so mutch when warm up . Seem to me it is some of the lifters. Does somebody experiance the same, and cuold you please share what the best solution?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"
Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
0352marine
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81199
What I Drive: 2000 blue zts

FF Reputation: 2 0352marine Good Standing Member
You will need to be more specific. Is it knocking all the time or just on start up. If it's knocking then it's probably too late and you need a total rebuild if it's knocking from the lower end of the engine. If the lifters are tapping then maybe change your oil and add a cleaner like BG MOA. Other than that keep your oil changed on a regular basis and you won't have major engine trouble.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 26,975, Level 97
Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97 Points: 26,975, Level: 97
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
WHOA WHOA WHOA let's not go to total rebuild so soon. Knocking can be interpreted differently by different people, and not every knocking sound under the hood is cause for a rebuild. He might simply be referring to a knocking sound caused by a bad motor mount- not rod knocking from inside the engine.

First off- what transmission do you have? If you have a manual transmission and you're hearing this sound while the vehicle is idling in the driveway to warm up, then before do anything try this: listen for the sound, push the clutch pedal down. Did the sound go away? If so, and that's the sound you're hearing, it is not a connecting rod knock, but a throwout bearing rattle. It's harmless, although it sounds terrible. When you push the clutch pedal down, that extends the slave cylinder and presses the throwout bearing against the pressure plate, and now it doesn't rattle.

Second- regardless of transmission, the motor mounts can make some knocking sounds if just one is bad. You'd see a lot of engine movement in the engine compartment if this was the case. It might even cause secondary sounds like exhaust rattles.

Third- as mentioned above, you might be hearing tapping sounds from the valve train. A knock sounds like someone using a heavy hammer under the hood, and is usually muffled at idle. It will become louder as the engine is put under a load, and will disappear as the engine climbs in rpms without a heavy load- ie, downhill travel. Valve train tapping, however, is typical, and louder in colder weather until the oil gets up to it. This will sound like someone rapping a ball point pen on sheet metal- it's a high, sharp sound. This engine makes a lot of sounds like that because there's no hydraulic action to the valve-train, it's purely mechanical. Mechanical lift cams tend to make more noise than hydraulic cams.

I can't write more right now, but I'll be back.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Dilyan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81432
What I Drive: 2005 ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Dilyan Good Standing Member
Thanks Guys,
I realy apreciate your help.
That knocking is definetly from the upper engine and it is knocking all the time on hot engine when it's on idle and at 2000 rpm it's disappear. I bought the car on 80 000 km and probably the previous owner did not look after the car I mean oil exchange ect..I realy did not expect that on this low km. ,but you never know. Other than the car is running and handling perfect , I check spark plugs and they are so clean. I am just wandering if it is harmless to keep going driving or to do some thing.

Thanks and have a nice day!!!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
0352marine
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilyan View Post
Thanks Guys,
I realy apreciate your help.
That knocking is definetly from the upper engine and it is knocking all the time on hot engine when it's on idle and at 2000 rpm it's disappear. I bought the car on 80 000 km and probably the previous owner did not look after the car I mean oil exchange ect..I realy did not expect that on this low km. ,but you never know. Other than the car is running and handling perfect , I check spark plugs and they are so clean. I am just wandering if it is harmless to keep going driving or to do some thing.

Thanks and have a nice day!!!
If the knocking is coming from the upper part of the engine. It's more likely the lifters due to poor oil change. If your an experienced mechanic and the knock is louder than normal you might be able to get away with changing the lifters and it will sound better. It's really hard to diagnose this problem without hearing the engine. If you do decide to change the lifters just make sure you put plenty of cam lube on the cam lobes and lifters before installing them. Also make sure you torque your bolts back to the correct torque.
Camshaft bearing cap bolts. Start on the cam closiest to the firewall on the right side working your way left 1-5 caps. Then front cam right to left 6-10 caps

Stage 1: 10 Nm
Stage 2: 19 Nm
Old 12-30-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
0352marine
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
WHOA WHOA WHOA let's not go to total rebuild so soon. Knocking can be interpreted differently by different people, and not every knocking sound under the hood is cause for a rebuild. He might simply be referring to a knocking sound caused by a bad motor mount- not rod knocking from inside the engine.

First off- what transmission do you have? If you have a manual transmission and you're hearing this sound while the vehicle is idling in the driveway to warm up, then before do anything try this: listen for the sound, push the clutch pedal down. Did the sound go away? If so, and that's the sound you're hearing, it is not a connecting rod knock, but a throwout bearing rattle. It's harmless, although it sounds terrible. When you push the clutch pedal down, that extends the slave cylinder and presses the throwout bearing against the pressure plate, and now it doesn't rattle.

Second- regardless of transmission, the motor mounts can make some knocking sounds if just one is bad. You'd see a lot of engine movement in the engine compartment if this was the case. It might even cause secondary sounds like exhaust rattles.

Third- as mentioned above, you might be hearing tapping sounds from the valve train. A knock sounds like someone using a heavy hammer under the hood, and is usually muffled at idle. It will become louder as the engine is put under a load, and will disappear as the engine climbs in rpms without a heavy load- ie, downhill travel. Valve train tapping, however, is typical, and louder in colder weather until the oil gets up to it. This will sound like someone rapping a ball point pen on sheet metal- it's a high, sharp sound. This engine makes a lot of sounds like that because there's no hydraulic action to the valve-train, it's purely mechanical. Mechanical lift cams tend to make more noise than hydraulic cams.

I can't write more right now, but I'll be back.
^^^ good advise
Hows the saying go a happy lifter is a nosiey one. lol I had a bad engine mount on mine it did not make a knocking noise just vibrated alot more than normal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks