A rule suggestion for the military - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Military Fanatics

Military Fanatics A place dedicated to our members in uniform. Here you can hang out, share stories as well as keep us updated with day-to-day activities.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Nik00117
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 58749
What I Drive: 2011 Fusion SEL, 2010 Road Glide

FF Reputation: 0 Nik00117 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
A rule suggestion for the military

This is something I've been tossing around and have received pretty positive reviews.

Often times young soliders get taken, and I mean seriously taken...They got a steady income, they think they are living large. They walk into a dealership and buy expensive cars, and get ripped off...So he's my suggestion.

If your under 25 and a E-4 or below any vehicle purchase has to be vetted by a NCO who has at least 2 years in grade of being an NCO (so at least 2 yrs of NCO life of e-5 or better)

The purpose is for the NCO to simply review the deal and make sure they are not getting taken for interest rate, drastically over paying, or buying a vehicle they simply cannot afford.

This is inspired by what I saw once, an NCO witnessed one of his new PVTs buy a Mustang, when the NCO inquired about the deal it seemed fishy, the payments are ridiculous, and the car was in poor shape. The NCO took his PVT down to the dealership and sat down with the GM, and they hashed it out. The dealership wouldn't take back the car but did cut his rate from 24% to 11% and issued a refund check of $4,000 (they had over charged the guy by like $8,000)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I know I've seen the younger guys get taken a few times. Always told my guys to come and get an nco for any major purchase to make sure things were legit. (aafes also got one of mine with their credit and overpriced furniture).
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Rudel
FF's Quadriplegic!

Fan#: 13465
What I Drive: 2.3 ATX-RSVT

FF Reputation: 15 Rudel Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I guess new comer briefs fail....

For those young enlistees, I think a financial class and budget should be done too.

MCIs dont work..haha

Edit in: I thought you had to be a SNCO in the USMC, to even get a K-SOFA license?

Part III: Install Handicap Driving Controls
Ma Cah: http://imgur.com/a/TuyYL
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 32 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudel View Post
I guess new comer briefs fail....

For those young enlistees, I think a financial class and budget should be done too.
They should have gotten those in AIT. I know I did.

My DS's had some awesome horror stories about things like this. Honestly, new guys should just know better and do some research before they buy a car. I would go at least 50 miles away from base to buy a car off a lot. All those dealerships place themselves that close for that simple reason.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I don't know, I've known a lot of NCOs that didn't know how to handle money any better than the next guy. The idea needs some refinement but it would be better for everybody to have dedicated people to talk to about financial decisions. Would make a hell of a lot more sense than some MOS', and it would actually transfer to the civilian world.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member CJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The Army won't make this into a written rule, because it's the leadership's responsibility to know their Soldiers. It doesn't hurt to talk to them and learn what their interests, hobbies and background is. When Soldiers learn that they can afford stuff now or when there's a chance of big money to come (such as Per Diem from a deployment), it's that Soldier's leadership's responsibility to counsel the Soldier and inform them on things like that. Now, that being said, there are several commands and units that have shady places like that on their "black list" or "off limits" list. These "businesses" have the right to run a business, but it's our jobs as NCOs and Leaders to make sure our Soldiers are armed with the knowledge on these businesses so they don't get taken. If the Soldier ignores his leaders counsel and gets taken, it's the Soldiers fault not the leaders. We can't hold their hands for everything.

That's why Leaders need to be aware of the different programs out there, such as finacial management classes. It doesn't hurt to attend one of these to see what you could learn.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
brown7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84107
What I Drive: 2006 DSG Zx5, 2003 DSG Mach1

FF Reputation: 1 brown7 Good Standing Member
Quote:
A fool and his money are soon parted

I got 8% 2-3 years ago and i still feel its too high...
Old 06-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #8
5characters
No Mo Fo Fo

Fan#: 78897
What I Drive: 2012 M2 Touring

FF Reputation: 2 5characters Good Standing Member
My super. and I are pretty tight, he will kick my a$$ when I need it and tell me when I'm doing a good job. We bought a car not that long ago, and my wife, him and I all went over the details, and he asked can you afford this? And we showed him that we made X amount of money car cost R amount good chunck of change left over and we could, then he asked about insurence... All in all he really took on the 'leadership' role. So I guess what I am saying is know your troops.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
birdman_a15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75473
What I Drive: 2003 Red SVT Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 birdman_a15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I fell for it... Brand new E2 - $21000 for a 4 year old cavalier with a 24% APR... Life lesson learned. Part of me says, some need to learn this but the other side says you would go into combat by yourself, then why do this.

I don't know about having an NCO there but making a mandatory class for awareness sounds reasonable.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
I always tell new soldiers to get with me before buying a car, the ones that do are always glad they did.

Posted via FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->