Vortech Install - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Regional Forums > Mid West Fanatics

Mid West Fanatics Serving the Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska and South Dakota regions.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
zincyellowfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 11519
What I Drive: 00YelloFoFo

FF Reputation: 1 zincyellowfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Vortech Install

Well, in total, with 3 guys working on the car 75% of the time, it took us 35 hours over the course of a weekend to install the thing, I looked like this at about 1 a.m. on Monday morning:

But it was well worth it! The car ran damn rich, and we found the problem the next day when we found out that when we mounted the SVT MAF in a Zetec tube, the venturi effect of the smaller tube kept the airstream out of the meter's path, thus registering more MAF counts than what was actually going into the engine, thus dumping in more fuel than necessary. After the initial test drive, some backfires occured and hesitation like no other. We tested the theory out when a friend with an SVT came by and swapped his setup into mine, and it ran much better. NOTE: Do NOT mount a different MAF sensor in a tube that it is not meant for, bad things will occur!

Per Shady's request, here are a couple of images of the install, more will be up when the new tube comes in tomorrow and the bumper gets put back on, but this is all I had time for:

BEFORE PIC:

BEST AFTER PIC I HAVE FOR NOW:

The parts:

More will be up soon, if you have an Imagestation account, you can look at the rest at: Vortech Pics

Last edited by zincyellowfocus; 09-10-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
CTGrey02
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12490
What I Drive: 02 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 CTGrey02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not sure what you have for a tune right now, but that should help the back firing somewhat.. my mustang.. and pretty much every other vorteched one I've seen backfires like that. What are you putting out for boost and what kinda bypass or BOV?

2002 Mustang GT
370 RWHP - 361 RWTQ
12.9 @ 106
http://www.ctgrey02.com/ctgrey02.jpg

Last edited by CTGrey02; 09-10-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
zincyellowfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Damn the Red X Syndrome, I have an SCT chip reburned by FocusSport that was burned for a 12:1 A/F ratio, obviously it's a lot less than that. With the SVT MAF housing on, it ran fine w/o the backfires, but it still hesitated when mashing the gas hard. My LM-1 wideband O2 will come next week, and the SCT Pro Racer software will be ordered next week so that I can custom burn my chips. It's sitting at my shop right now until that part comes, but I should have a fun weekend. Will post dyno charts (which won't be good) after next Saturday's run. Mainly using it for a baseline for tuning the chip, see how rich it really is.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #4
zincyellowfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

2nd Attempt

Old 09-10-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
CTGrey02
Focus Enthusiast

Just becareful on the chassis dyno.. they're brutal on your driveline. How much boost and whats the expected output of the kit running optimumly?

2002 Mustang GT
370 RWHP - 361 RWTQ
12.9 @ 106
Old 09-10-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
zincyellowfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The H.O. kit (aftercooled) will see about 10 psi at around redline. Boost will not come on until about 2k-2500 RPM. I am using the Bosch bypass valve that came with the kit, since blow-off valves spell "No no" for pull-through MAF sensors. I've dynoed before on this specific dyno, so I will watch out for bucking and keep both hands on the wheel.

When it gets fully tuned safely and corrctly, I'm going to expect about 190-210 WHP, if I get in that range, I'll be very happy. The only engine mod I might do later is a FR intake manifold, but I'm going to wait for their redesign first. Since this will be daily driven, I want to aim for a safe, reliable tune, nothing that comprimises engine longevity for 5 extra horses. I'll keep updating this as everything spells out....
Old 09-10-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Fernymack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 12375
What I Drive: 03 ZXcubed

FF Reputation: 1 Fernymack Good Standing Member
Nice setup. Please tell me you have a SVT MAF ?????
Old 09-10-2004, 01:58 PM   #8
zincyellowfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yep, just waiting for the SVT MAF housing/tube to arrive....

EDIT: Wait, are you asking WHY I have the SVT MAF? Well, because if the stock Zetec MAF is used, the MAF will "peg" the +5V (1023 MAF counts) threshold and will not be accurate anymore with the increase of air intake. Yes, you can recalibrate the MAF with a new transfer function in the SCT chip (which was done with the SVT MAF), but going to one that can handle the bigger air need is easier to mend into the electronics. Some people opt for the 4.6L Mustang GT MAF, but the resolution is too broad to cover my engine output, that would suit an SVT w/ a Vortech better than a regular Zetec.

Last edited by zincyellowfocus; 09-10-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:10 PM   #9
CTGrey02
Focus Enthusiast

http://mafterburner.com/mafxtender.htm

Stick with stock Ford pieces.. SVT ect.. This might help if you push the limits of the stock maf. I use a 80 MM lightning maf on mine, works fine. And yeah.. Vortechs are good from a reliability standpoint. I've had mine on over 15,000 miles with no issues.

2002 Mustang GT
370 RWHP - 361 RWTQ
12.9 @ 106
Old 09-10-2004, 02:39 PM   #10
zincyellowfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks for the link, but I know when I peg my MAF with my Raptor datalogger when I see the counts go above 1023, so far it's been good, but have only driven 1.5 miles on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks