directional tires? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
directional tires?

I recently bought a full set of used tires off craigs list Firestone firehawk GT. They look darn near new they had 3X the tread depth of my last set.

I also bought an older set of 2000 ZX3 wheels the 5 spoke split spoke alloy wheel that came on the older ZX3s

After a few weeks of prep and painting cleaning the wheels i take everything up to NTB to have them installed and these things sound like a jeep or somthing. They roar down the road. My old tires had some noise but nothing like this. Its unreal the difference in sound.

I wonder though if im just not use to both the sound of the wheel AND the tire? When i was cleaning the wheels a few times i bumped them with a screw driver when i was scrapping off tar and gunk from the wheel. They sounded like bells big metal bells when bumped BOOONG!

These tires say "inside" and "outside" so i know they are directional but does it do anything to the wear of the tires?

Is this the direction indicator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
they must have been sitting for a long time...... now I can't say for sure that's why cause I'm not sure if that's a symptom but I put my old tires on that have been sitting for a long time and the OLDER two of the set were really loud.

they are also the ones that say inside and outside, but are fuzion HRi's
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
hypnoticracing
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 51709
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Zetec 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 13 hypnoticracing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
if it says outside make sure its ont he outside,
that tread design is not directional.... just make sure inside is towrds teh middle of the car and outside is towards, well, the outside

Parting out the slammed sedan...
Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Godzukidan
ELVIS LIVES !

Fan#: 20925
What I Drive: 05 ZX3, 95 T-Bird V8, 2012 Stang V6

FF Reputation: 5 Godzukidan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sometimes they will also say on the tire ( right side only ) or ( left side only ). Be sure to read the small print on the tire. Most directional tires are louder because of the aggresssive tread.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Yeah they are on the right way "outside" out and "inside" in

The part i question is maybe the 2 front need to be switched or the 2 rear?

Maybe 2 of them or all of them are now running the oposite direction they were on the last owners car? Does this make sence?

If the outside on the right front was on the left front wouldnt it be running the other way?

This is a crude drawing but maybe you can see the tread pattern if it was like this how it would be noisy one way and not so noisy the other way? Or maybe driving them a while on one side would sort of lay the tread over like this image and then if you put them on again the wrong way you are running them against the grain so to speak?

They do seem like an aggressive tread pattern though. A fairly hard compound also i think.

Another thing is these are 15X6 wheels and i put 205/60/15's on it so another thing i wonder about is they are being pinched in a little by the wheel maybe this is causing the tread to stand up different then on the last car?

I hope you can fallow what im saying its kinda bizarre
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
There are quite a few tires that are not directional but must be mounted with a certain side of the tire facing out and are marked as such. These tires can be rotated and used in any position/corner of the car as long as the outside is out when marked as such. Directional tires will have a very dsitinct arrow and will usually include the words such as "direction of rotation" or "rotation direction". Some directional tires (to confuse things) may also have an inside and outside as well.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
mikebontoft
Toxx

^^ yeah when I switched to my old tires I saw I had them all pointing the wrong direction. that's what I get for not paying attention when I rotated them to try and keep from wearing so much with my negative camber...

I get what you're saying though bower...... I may have done that too. in fact the fuzions I put on, I put on the front since my other two are newer. I couldn't stand it. they made everything vibrate and it sucked to drive. put them back on the rear where they were when I bought the car, and I don't feel it anymore.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #8
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

well im reading alot of other reviews about noise also. I guess its just common on this tire.

I just wanted somthing to get me threw the winter. My last set is darn near bald. I want to get a different size wheel so i didnt want to spend alot on new tires then in 4 months just go and do it again with 17s

Thanks for everyones help, ill just have to turn the radio up a little more.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

some day I'll get two new (or four preferably lol) tires.... my old I purchased used and were great till I flat spotted them almost spinning out at the last autox event. haha.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
^^ yeah when I switched to my old tires I saw I had them all pointing the wrong direction. that's what I get for not paying attention when I rotated them to try and keep from wearing so much with my negative camber...

I get what you're saying though bower...... I may have done that too. in fact the fuzions I put on, I put on the front since my other two are newer. I couldn't stand it. they made everything vibrate and it sucked to drive. put them back on the rear where they were when I bought the car, and I don't feel it anymore.
Well my last set were on bent steel wheels. The rear were slightly bent (both) but not warn to the wear marks yet they made some vibration. The front were both good wheels but the tread was down to the wear marks and they made a loud noise.

These firehawks make a similar noise but its alot deeper growel more like a truck or a jeep tread kinda.

They are smooth and have very good traction, they have way better grip then the last set. The only complaint is the noise is all.

I just thought maybe there was somthing i was over looking that might quiet them down a little. I think its just the nature of this tire

Bookmarks & Social Networks