Who lifts here? want to lose weight? - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #21
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btgrah01 View Post
bigjordan; i see what your sayin. do you bench at all, or just stick with dips and overhead press?
I used to bench, but I lift alone and never really felt comfortable pushing myself on the bench without a spotter. Plus, I just like doing dips better.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
Btgrah01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77018
What I Drive: 03 screamin yellow svt

FF Reputation: 1 Btgrah01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
ok i see. front delts are secondary's when doing dips, put primary's on overheads. front delts don't really start to come into play until you really sink down low. if you can distinguish that point and keep from going past it, you can really target your pectorals. then when your finished with dips, your front delts (only have been used as a secondary muscles) will be sufficiently warmed up but not fatigued from the dips to go onto overhead presses. again i'm not tryin to tell you this is how to do it; just givin an opinion.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #23
Btgrah01
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF2D View Post
lol i made the mistake of not doing legs enough (out of high school now, but may play next year in college)

regardless; do them either way man... women do love a nice tight man butt.
lol we males aren't the only ones with a strong appreciation for butts, we're just more open about it.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #24
femmefocus87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78800
What I Drive: 2010 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 femmefocus87 Good Standing Member
Quote:
regardless; do them either way man... women do love a nice tight man butt.
lol we males aren't the only ones with a strong appreciation for butts, we're just more open about it.
This is true!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 PM   #25
Btgrah01
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmefocus87 View Post
This is true!
yes. thank you lol
Old 11-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #26
MikeF2D
Fist Pumpin' Champ

Fan#: 54450
What I Drive: 2008 Black SE coupe

FF Reputation: 17 MikeF2D Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
doin some squats tomorrow....lol

Team Duratec #211
Learn from my mistakes....FRPP suspension is not god. Go to F.R.12 or GO HOME!
Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #27
femmefocus87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78800
What I Drive: 2010 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 femmefocus87 Good Standing Member
I guess the main reason I'm working out is so I tone up. I'm not happy with where I'm at especially for someone at my height. The only thing that sucks is that I can never find anyone to work out or go for walks with.

I started cutting out soda....its rough, but I'm dealing I also cut back a bit on the junk food. Starting to eat healthier..been eating a banana a day for breakfast....whole grain sandwiches....eating more vegetables and such as well. Eating at home more instead of eating out all the time. Also thinking about going on Weight Watchers.

I guess my goal is to get where I have somewhat muscular looking arms and legs. I don't want to look like those bodybuilding chicks I want to be one to turn heads instead of frightening people off
Old 11-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #28
Btgrah01
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmefocus87 View Post
I guess the main reason I'm working out is so I tone up. I'm not happy with where I'm at especially for someone at my height. The only thing that sucks is that I can never find anyone to work out or go for walks with.

I started cutting out soda....its rough, but I'm dealing I also cut back a bit on the junk food. Starting to eat healthier..been eating a banana a day for breakfast....whole grain sandwiches....eating more vegetables and such as well. Eating at home more instead of eating out all the time. Also thinking about going on Weight Watchers.

I guess my goal is to get where I have somewhat muscular looking arms and legs. I don't want to look like those bodybuilding chicks I want to be one to turn heads instead of frightening people off
its a good start... let me say first; there is no such thing as "putting on muscle too fast" lol to look like a competing ifbb female (bodybuilding), you would need years and special ingredients to achieve what they have. however there are also figure and bikini class in womens competitions that can maybe provide some idealistic goals or motivation.

now; a banana for breakfast? your about 10% complete for breakfast. you need a good source of protein (around 10-20g is a good goal) and a good source of carbs (oatmealllll!!!!!!). breakfast is the most important meal of the day being that your body is depleted of nutrients from that 8 hours of sleep you just got.

weight watchers... idk anything about it lol

but again as far as working out, don't hold back. trust me, your not going to "beef up" too quick lol. also, don't be intimidated by the squat rack! its easy to tell if a woman can squat... the results show! not only that but i never see the average woman go and bench or do dumbbell press. why? idk, you'd think that building up some pectoral muscles behind those two uhmm.... well it brings them out. not sayin you need to go bench your boyfriend or anything, but everybit counts hahahaha. basically to sum it up; (for females) work out like an animal, look like a jaw dropping sex goddess.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #29
Yocrew
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
yocrew and wakewill, yea thats right, keeping your resting times low between sets keeps your heart rate up; in turn keeps the amount of energy your using higher. also yocrew, if you switch and do your lifting first and your cardio second, imo, you'll see better gains. lifting first, you utilize your stored energy/food you ate to get through the lift because the body will break down carbs before fat. also the energy released from the breakdown of carbs is more than that of the energy from breaking down fats; thus you will be able to use this more efficient energy to lift more weight for more reps, producing more muscle gains. now after using your carbs up during lifting, by the time you get to doing cardio, your body is forced to breakdown fats because there are no more carbs; so it dips into your body's stored fat for energy. boom!

edit: i'm not saying that this is the ONLY way to workout/cardio; i'm simply suggesting something and providing reasoning for it.
I see what your saying and have noticed the difference from weights and cardio. What I do different now is I use the weight trainging as almost another form of cardio. Low weights 25 reps of each around 3 to 4 times. I press(arms/biceps) then go right into cross(chest) then a reverse curl (forearms) then downward push for back. And I do all this with 100 forward crunches inbetween(pushing 50 pounds.). And i do this all in about 20 minutes, no breaks with minimal water so I don't hold the water and get lazy. I do the bike or treadmill before and after all this. This all takes 1-1.5 hours. Do you see any benifits or draw backs of what I'm doing? I make sure all my weight training is done with a stiff back and arms locking so I'm actually moving weight and not just in a pattern if you know what I mean.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
Btgrah01
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocrew View Post
I see what your saying and have noticed the difference from weights and cardio. What I do different now is I use the weight trainging as almost another form of cardio. Low weights 25 reps of each around 3 to 4 times. I press(arms/biceps) then go right into cross(chest) then a reverse curl (forearms) then downward push for back. And I do all this with 100 forward crunches inbetween(pushing 50 pounds.). And i do this all in about 20 minutes, no breaks with minimal water so I don't hold the water and get lazy. I do the bike or treadmill before and after all this. This all takes 1-1.5 hours. Do you see any benifits or draw backs of what I'm doing? I make sure all my weight training is done with a stiff back and arms locking so I'm actually moving weight and not just in a pattern if you know what I mean.
are those the only exercises you do? if ya, i would rotate in other lifts too so that you don't over develop a group of muscles while the antagonist muscles are underdeveloped. (ex chest and back, or quads and hamstrings) failure to properly develop each in coordination can lead to injuries. i know your mostly using the weights to keep some muscularity, and not necessarily put on size; being said, with your pressing (which targets chest/shoulders not bis/tris) put in an antagonist movement (rows), the fly's are a good pectoral isolator. you can also do reverse fly's to target your back and rear delts. btw the "downward push for back" haha are called lat pull overs (if i understand right..) and if you do curls for bis, don't forget extensions for triceps (triceps make up 2/3 your arm mass) you'll get bigger looking arms by developing your triceps than you will just your biceps. this is all upper body stuff,... i'm a huge fan of working the leg muscles, if you don't like squats, do some leg presses or lunges, as well as stiff leg deadlifts and leg curls/extensions.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.