Who lifts here? want to lose weight? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Btgrah01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77018
What I Drive: 03 screamin yellow svt

FF Reputation: 1 Btgrah01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Who lifts here? want to lose weight?

quit hovering and enter the thread. lol

so who lifts? why? (powerlifting, bodybuilding, fitness, general health, sports)
what are your goals?

those lookin to lose weight;
first you need to get your diet under control.
then there is burning up that stored energy (fat)
imho the best and most effective way to do so, is lifting and doing interval cardio afterwards. the reason i suggest this is because you use up most if not all your immediate energy (what you have eaten that day) while you work out; then when you go to do the intervals, your about to, or already breaking down fats for energy. or if you don't want to lift, i recommend doing your cardio in the morning as your body will already have used up most of the food/energy you consumed... thus resorting to breaking down fat for energy.

interval cardio, which is; 3 minute intervals. first 2 minutes are a light jog, 3rd minute is intense! equivalent of a 200m dash pace for a whole 60 seconds.
and repeat. to sum it up;
minute 1; jog
minute 2; jog
minute 3; haul ass (all out sprint)
repeat.

its easiest to start out maybe 6-9 minutes the first week, then add 3 minutes every 1 or 2 weeks.
4 times a week is a good goal if you also incorporate a lifting routine. if not aim for 5 times a week.

the reason this works so well is because of the constant change and demands on your body's energy output levels; where as if you run for an hour everyday, sure you'll lose weight for a week or so,... until your body is in condition to complete that hour at that pace. your body will grow only enough to complete what you demand from it. if you run for an hour a day. your body will get to that condition and stop; unless you increase your time running or intensity.

oh and for all you reading this thinking twice..... 20 minutes of intervals like this is the equivalent of running hard for 1 hour straight.

made this as easy to understand as i could. I'm a natty bodybuilder and have used this form of cardio along with a ketogenic diet for a contest prep. so i'm not just bs'n around.

Last edited by Btgrah01; 11-11-2010 at 10:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
femmefocus87
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78800
What I Drive: 2010 Ebony Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 femmefocus87 Good Standing Member
I lift every other day for personal health...need to keep my girlish figure. I do a few reps working on my arms and alternating with some cardio. Other days I will go on a long walk. Then the day after that I work on my legs just to give my arms a break so they aren't super sore.

My problem is my diet
Old 11-11-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
wakewil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50446
What I Drive: 04 silver svt

FF Reputation: 3 wakewil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i workout to stay in shape for work. most the time it is cardio. running, hiking with packs, running hills. go back and forth with weightlifting, i dont want extra muscle to carry around all day.
anyone know much about crossfit? ive come to the conclusion that people love it or hate it. i personally like it because to me its a blend of weightlifting and cardio work at the same time. pretty cool when you can be completly gassed in less than 10 minutes

and i am horrible with my diet and i know it... i just love junk food.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Btgrah01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77018
What I Drive: 03 screamin yellow svt

FF Reputation: 1 Btgrah01 Good Standing Member
i'll agree, diets the hardest. I'm a sucker for the dollar menu chicken sandwiches. and yea i've heard of crossfit, i actually tried it out a few times and it was a great workout.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
CamoCustom
Focus Addict

Fan#: 78390
What I Drive: 2011 Mazda 3 iTouring 2.0

FF Reputation: 2 CamoCustom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
This is something I need to get doing again. As I got older, I got lazier :( I skate 2-3 times a week for inline hockey, but I need something to do the other days. First I need a better diet, guilty of that! But I also want to build my endurance and stamina so I can skate harder for longer.....
Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #6
Yocrew
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Working out 1st thing in the morning is great or atleast eating 4 hours before you workout. Good info. This method is the same as any bike or treadmill fat burning feature. Slow, medium then fast and several times. I like doing the treadmill like this but with a incline. i start with that then wieght training between 3 machines non stop with moderate weight and doing 2 exercises per machine. I rotate between them 3 to 4 times then back to the treadmill or bike. My key and I've been told by a personal trainer too that you need to keep moving. Resting and long breaks make you lazy and let the body shut down and gice up. Can you confirm this?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
wakewil
Focus Addict

^^id agree with it. keeping the fast pace keeps your heart rate up and at least for me, keeps me focused. once i start slowing down my mind goes to video games, dollar chicken sammiches and then before i know it im over working out.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Yocrew
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 54713
What I Drive: 02RedSVT #306

FF Reputation: 19 Yocrew Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I use to get distracted. Music in my ears keeps that from happening. Before I know it I'm done with my workout or worked out longer than I had planned, which isn't a bad thing.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
bigjordan
AAAHHHHH!!!!

Fan#: 35026
What I Drive: miata

FF Reputation: 7 bigjordan Good Standing Member
Lift twice a week. Heavy squats, deadlifts, weighted dips, weighted pullups, overhead presses. Goal is pure strength gains, anything else is an added bonus.

No cardio, and eat as much as my stomach will allow, without forcing the food back up.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
wakewil
Focus Addict

what weight/reps do you do for dips and pullups?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.