How do you bypass a fuel cutoff switch? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
mikealicious
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
How do you bypass a fuel cutoff switch?

I just replaced a dead fuel pump on my svtf and the car still won't start. I'm wondering if there's a way to bypass the cutoff switch so we can rule that out. I had a passenger that accidentally kicked it and broke the tab that holds it up. It's worked just fine, but I'm wondering if it finally went bad or something. So how would I bypass it to see if that's what it is?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
hypnoticracing
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 51709
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Zetec 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 13 hypnoticracing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
unplug it and connect the two wires.... all it is, is a ball that connects to a magnet when the ball is not connected it does not transfer power...

really a simple simple system, there are no actuators or relays or anything involved but if you want o bypass it just put a jumper between the wires

Parting out the slammed sedan...
Old 10-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
hypnoticracing
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 51709
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Zetec 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 13 hypnoticracing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
i would also check to make sure the key is connect to the car properly, if the key lost its program the car will not start

Parting out the slammed sedan...
Old 10-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
mikealicious
'Merica

Fan#: 47077
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT (gone), 2012 SEL

FF Reputation: 8 mikealicious Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Turns out it was a bad relay and the car runs now. But I'd still like to bypass it for track duty. Thanks. I'll check I out.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
YOu don't want to bypass it for track duty until you put an upgraded fuel cell and pump system in. Its there so if the car rolls over the pump stops working keeping the gas from adding more fuel to a possible fire.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Yea man agree^. I would even say if you using it for track put it under the back bumper with stickers saying it's there so if your rolled over and can't get out. fire crew can turn it off.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Want a vehicle without an inertia switch to cut off the fuel pump? Get a GM. There is no such device on any that I know of. Onstar will call a tow truck and ambulance for you- hopefully they get there before all your fuel is pumped out, and someone coming to help you throws a cigarette down.

No kidding, that almost happened to me. I witnessed a Safari rolling over about 1/4 mile in front of me. When I got there the van was on it's roof, the engine was off, but the fuel line had ruptured and was squirting fuel just as fast as it could. The girl was trying to get out of the van, and I asked her to reach up and turn the key off on the van if she could. Just that moment the crowd- including 4 other smokers (I smoke, but know better than to get near an accident with a smoke) gathered around, even one asking what that was that was still spraying out. I told them it was fuel, and to get back with the cigarette. That freaking idiot dropped right there and put it out- pissed at me for asking I think. WTF? I guess we're all lucky that he was uphill from the fuel spill.

Fortunately the girl had enough of a brain to cut the key off when she grabbed her purse, so the fuel stopped flowing right about the same time the cigarette went out on the ground. I can't remember if someone asked why that was still running or not. LOL if they had, I'd have told them to buy a Ford instead. All the girl had was a mild concussion, and some bruises from what I could see.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: 13 stang

FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
most sanctioning bodies require some way the fuel or electric system can be shut off. Personally the inertia switch is the best to me. If you hit a rail / wall or roll it will automatiacally be off. If your trapped in the car you don't have to wait for someone to pull a dead man switch, the inertia would have already shut it off.

Bookmarks & Social Networks