Replace master cylinder clutch - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #101
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJohnson View Post
Sorry man, just got home from work. The bleeder valve is on top of the transmission. Bleeding the brakes won't help you bleed the cmc.
My problem is that i don't know ANYTHING under the good and the locations. Installation took an hour and a half, tried bleeding for for hours and not a drop. I wonder if i was on the wrong valve? And now my brake peddle will not go in at all? Stiff as a board?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FF Mobile

My Build/Mod Thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462393
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #102
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Again I apologize, I work too many hours...
The valve you need to bleed is on top of the transmission. If you remove your battery and battery tray you should be able to follow the line from master cylinder to the valve on the transmission. It looks just like the valve on your brakes. To bleed it you need two people: one to pump the clutch, one to open and close the valve. It will take a little while to fully bleed the clutch. The best way to tell that no more bubbles are coming out (and to keep the area clean) is attach a clear tube to the valve and use a bright light so you can see the fluid as it comes out (route it to a bucket).
Again, make sure you keep the brake fluid reservoir topped off or you'll have to start the bleeding all over.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #103
bboyjamin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103696
What I Drive: 2007 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 bboyjamin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thank you NotoriousOne! Your how-to is better than Haynes or AllData.

Here's my experience from following NotoriousOne's instructions:

At first I pulled it all from the car piece-by-piece, but I had trouble with reassembly. I couldn't get the CMC to connect properly to the pedal assembly. I then used the steps below, and found it much easier.

After completing step 5, you've got all the switches off of the pedal assembly. At this point you can remove the entire assembly and CMC without disassembling.

(a) Remove the 4 bolts that connect the pedal assembly to the firewall (step 8).

(b) Remove the white plastic pin which attaches the brake pedal to its actuating rod(also pictured in step 8, in the middle of the 4 bolts.)

(c) Complete steps 9,10,11,12.

(d) Also remove the metal clip at the base of the CMC. This clip holds the CMC in place on that threaded rod.

(e) Pull out the pedal assembly, with brake and clutch pedals, and CMC.

(f) Stand up straight, put it on the workbench, and swap the CMC.

(g) Make sure the butterfly clips from step 12 are already in the new CMC. (DO NOT attempt to connect the hoses to the CMC, then put the clips in.)

(h) Place the whole assembly back in, pushing the CMC connectors through the firewall.

(i) Do not attach the pedal assembly yet. Ask a friend to push the base of the CMC into the firewall and wiggle it a little. At the same time, from the engine side, you push the lower hose in, then the upper hose. The butterfly clip clicks when the hose locks in.

(j) Put the metal clip back on the base of the CMC, attach the plastic pin to the brake actuator. Bolt the assembly to the firewall.

Continue from there..
Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #104
bboyjamin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103696
What I Drive: 2007 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 bboyjamin Good Standing Member
This post is about my experience with the mityvac for bleeding, manual bleeding, and grinding noises during shifting.

On my 2007 2.0 Duratec, the clutch bleeder could be reached by removing the intake air resonator.

I tried using the ford recommended procedure of reverse bleeding by pumping 100ml of fluid into the clutch bleed nipple. For this task I bought the Mityvac MV8500. You switch it to pressure mode and start pumping, but under pressure the tubes keep popping off of the tool. Maybe I just don't know how to use it right. Oh well, I'll save that tool for another day.

Back to manual bleeding. On the first attempt, 1000 pedal strokes and no pedal pressure built up. Some of the old fluid bled out however.

I came back the next day and it had gotten a lot better overnight. Another round of manual bleeding and the fluid coming out looked good, and the pedal felt good.

If I were doing the CMC replacement again, I'd look into bench bleeding it first. It might be a way to save some time.

Time to test gear shifting! The car was still on jacks. Started the engine and I could move the shifter through all gears. But when I tried to disengage the clutch i heard a grind. This had me worried but a friend thought it might be the cv joint grinding because it was jacked up. I lowered the vehicle and the noise was gone. I don't quite get it, but the car passed the test drive, so I guess he was right.

Thanks for all the great posts everyone, this thread helped a ton.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #105
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

I've been meaning to give an update on my replacement from about two weeks ago. So here it is:

Everything went together smoothly at first. I removed the CMC and replaced everything. only hitch was that I could not have the CMC put into place before placing the peddle bracket onto the four bolts. Meaning, I had to place the CMC onto the bracket prior to placing both to the wall (firewall). That was because the CMC had a couple of tabs that required the CMC to be turned into place, locking those tabs. Once I performed this, I was then able to mount both, simultaneously, onto the wall below the dash.

This all took me about an hour and a half. My next problem was finding the bleed valve on the bell housing. Unfortunately, I do not know technical terms, so I had no idea what the bell housing was or is meant for. I'm an idiot. I found a valve plug with my fingers, and felt some threading with a nut on it. I attempted to bleed this for the next FOUR HOURS with no luck. By this time it was getting dark so I left it to begin in the morning, pi$$ed. Morning came, I found what I was "bleeding" and it happened to be a bolt holding two separate brackets together. The cap on the end of it was to keep it from snagging other electrical lines around it. After some much needed help from Notorious (WHICH I CANNOT THANK ENOUGH), I finally found the bleed valve on top of the bell housing. It took all of 15 minutes to completely flush out all old and replace with new brake fluid. (I never ran out in the reservoir. I kept refilling until all fluid came out clear, not black).

MY CLUTCH HAS NEVER BEEN BETTER.

Thank you all for your help, and I ESPECIALLY thank Notorious for the help he gave me during my change. I learned a lot!!!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #106
Mr & Mrs Roush
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88346
What I Drive: Focus Roush ZX3, Red 2005

FF Reputation: 1 Mr & Mrs Roush Good Standing Member
maybe you can help me out

I had the master cylinder replaced at the dealer, and now my car has lost its torque and clutch sensitivity. They say they don't know what's wrong. Do you know what could cause that? I drive a 2004 Roush Edition Focus.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #107
benjaminj6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102584
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 benjaminj6 Good Standing Member
I got out of work yesterday to discover a puddle of brake fluid in my floor mat. I'm running into a snag when it comes to removing the clips that hold the fluid line into the CMC in the engine bay. I know you're supposed to us a "pick", but is there a secret to getting these off another way?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 AM   #108
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

I used a long flat head driver with a small head. Or use a long pair of needle nose.

Remember, don't remove the clips off of the new Cmc. The lines should snap into the tubes when reinstalling.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #109
benjaminj6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102584
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 2 benjaminj6 Good Standing Member
I tried using needle nose pliers and just pulling on the clip, but it wouldn't budge.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #110
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Wiggle it, kinda at a side to side motion outward from the direction the lines are disconnected.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
clutch master cylinder
-->