Replace master cylinder clutch - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #91
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I plan on taking the say off this Friday to do this replacement. Did you guys bench bleed the cmc prior to installation or simply gravity bleed it when it was all together?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using FF Mobile

My Build/Mod Thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462393
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #92
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Fan#: 51724
What I Drive: '04 ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 30 MisterJohnson Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf66 View Post
hey my white plastic rod broke on it's own somehow yesterday...(now clutch pedal is floppy and won't dis-engage)

Is that available as a stand alone replacement part or did you have to buy something larger and more expensive to get that part and how hard was the replacing of said part?
Sorry boss, it's only available as a whole unit. You can't get just the rod. I think I paid right around $40 for when I replaced mine this summer, so it's not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudziel View Post
I plan on taking the say off this Friday to do this replacement. Did you guys bench bleed the cmc prior to installation or simply gravity bleed it when it was all together?
I got my brother to help me pedal bleed the system from the nipple on the transmission AFTER full installation. It took a little while but we just kept going until zero bubbles came out. When bleeding the clutch system STAY AWARE: don't let the brake fluid reservoir get low.
15.07 @ 93.49 Team Duratec #149
Old 10-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #93
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJohnson View Post
Sorry boss, it's only available as a whole unit. You can't get just the rod. I think I paid right around $40 for when I replaced mine this summer, so it's not bad.

I got my brother to help me pedal bleed the system from the nipple on the transmission AFTER full installation. It took a little while but we just kept going until zero bubbles came out. When bleeding the clutch system STAY AWARE: don't let the brake fluid reservoir get low.
But don't you physically remove all fluid from the reservoir prior to disconnecting the clutch line from the fire wall?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #94
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

^^Negative, I capped the reservoir output line with the rubber cap from the clutch bleeder nipple to prevent it from draining. The only reason you would drain the reservoir during this procedure would be if you were replacing the brake fluid with new fluid.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #95
svtfiend
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 22268
What I Drive: 2005 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 svtfiend Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just did this on my 05 ST yesterday. The access hole in wheel well was only useable after disconnecting the abs sensor and 2 giant connectors for ( I assume) the dash and pulling all three into the engine bay out of the way. I also had an issue getting the lower hose to reconnect to the new cmc. There's a bracket on my car holding it that I unbolted so I could adjust the angle it was entering.
Bled it using mity vac until solid flow came out, then pumped it up by hand and used a brake pedal depressor to hold the pedal down while I went to the front and popped the bleeder open. I didn't get a really solid feel until I manually bled it, but I only had to do it 4 or 5 times til I did.
feels better than ever!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 AM   #96
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
^^Negative, I capped the reservoir output line with the rubber cap from the clutch bleeder nipple to prevent it from draining. The only reason you would drain the reservoir during this procedure would be if you were replacing the brake fluid with new fluid.
Ok, i've never bled lines before or changed the CMC. I'm taking a vacation day this friday from work just incase something should happen, I have two additional days to get it fixed. I'm going to be doing this on my 2007 SE.

This quote above confuses me a bit. I've watched many a video's and talked to some coworkers who drag race their own cars and feel confident with bleeding lines now.

But Step 6 states to not pull the CMC out until most of the fluid is drained. From where?

And step 10 states to drain most of the brake/clutch reservoir using a turkey baster. So these do not need done?

If the fluid is not removed from the reservoir, and you disconnect the green lines (step 12), wouldn't fluid drip out everywhere? and when you removed the CMC without removing fluid in the reservoir, wouldn't all of the fluid flow out from the old CMC prior to new CMC installation?

Sorry for the rookie questions, I just want to make sure that this is done right the first time by me. Once I do it the first time, I will know for good what to do. Can you please help me understand just what exactly you did with the fluid and how you did it? Otherwise, following the steps with disconnection and replacement is pretty self explanatory.

Thank you all.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #97
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Nevermind for my dumb questions. I just fully understood this when I gave it a quick re-read. Sorry. Thanks for your help!!!!
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #98
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

No prob!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #99
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Is the bleeder valve located kinda to the bottom right of the engine under lines? I have an 07 focus. I don't want to start bleeding brakes or anything. It is the only valve i can find. Please answer kinda quick. Doing this now actually. Thank you all

Old 10-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #100
MisterJohnson
M0derator Monkey

Sorry man, just got home from work. The bleeder valve is on top of the transmission. Bleeding the brakes won't help you bleed the cmc.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
clutch master cylinder
-->