Changing Coolant on 06 FOCUS 2.0L - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
JSWIFT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 65685
What I Drive: 2006 White Focus ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 JSWIFT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Changing Coolant on 06 FOCUS 2.0L

Time to change the coolant on my 2006 Focus Wagon ZXW 2.0L (N) and the ol' Haynes Manual is somewhat lacking. I was planning to remove the thermostat to flush the system but it looks like a pain to get off. Any pointers on changing the coolant on this engine?

JSWIFT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
JSWIFT
Focus Rookie

I guess my question is do I have to remove the thermostat housing to drain the coolant and is the heater hose the only way to refill the system.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
deezx5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
Don't you have a drainplug on the bottom of your radiator and a coolant reservoir to refill? I don't own a duratec but it can't be much different than any other car.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
J-Town_2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77950
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 R.I.P.-Currently 02'zx3

FF Reputation: 3 J-Town_2006ZX3 Good Standing Member
There should be a drainplug (or draincock, how ever you say it) on the bottom drivers side of the radiator( I have heard). There is a spot for some flex pvc hose you can connect to a flange to help drain most of it out. Place a bucket under the drain to help keep from messes. Turn counterclockwise to drain.

I have been told to place draincap back on, and fill coolant resevior with distilled water( for no impurities) a gallon or so, and turn heat on full blast and turn car on. Wait until the radiator fan kicks on, which should open up the thermostat to help the water flush any junk left in the line. Promptly shut the car off and let it cool down.

Repeat first step and drain the water out of the radiator and then replace with coolant. I have heard this can be done to keep you from removing the thermostat ( i did that in my old 96 contour and it was a giant PITA).

I am going to attempt this on my focus in the next month or so as the coolant needs changed and I will try to take pictures to post.

Do all Ford's have the drainplug o nthe radiator? looking @ doing my 04' Taurus too
Old 10-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
JSWIFT
Focus Rookie

Changing Coolant on 06 FOCUS 2.0L

Yea, removing the thermostat housing to flush the cooling system looks like a giant PIA. However, running the engine dry until the T-stat opens concerns me in that the water pump is spinning without coolant lubricating the shaft. There has to be a better way of flushing/changing the coolant without T-stat removal. I wonder what the dealers do?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
deezx5
Focus Addict

Who said anything about running the engine dry? Where are you getting this info?

Read what Jtown said and also read here

Most places just do a drain and fill of the coolant, some use a machine to do a power flush but arguments can be made against that method in older cars.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
J-Town_2006ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77950
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 R.I.P.-Currently 02'zx3

FF Reputation: 3 J-Town_2006ZX3 Good Standing Member
I'm pretty sure I saw those instructions on myfordfocus.com

Doesn't sound right to me either to run it dry-hindsight being 20/20, that could cuase a slew of issues.

If you just drained it and re-filled, would you have to worry about any sediment or "gunk" in the lines?

It would still be much cheaper to drain and re-fill the coolant yourself, if that's what a shop or dealer would do. My dealer in town wants$90-$100 for a flush...do they really flush it or just drain it out?
Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
JSWIFT
Focus Rookie

If I read it correctly, the coolant is completey drained before the reservoir is filled with water on J-TOWNs procedure. I've always flushed a system when changing the coolant. This engine has no radiator cap. Refill is through a disconnected heating hose. A coolant change isn't a problem, the flush is. Looks like I'll have to just replace the coolant and bypass the flush on this engine.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
deezx5
Focus Addict

I don't really understand your thought process here. Why aren't you refilling using the reservoir? Check your owners manual that's what they recommend. https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/results.asp

Anyhow I posted link to generic instructions that mentioned flushing with a hose and Jtown mentioned flushing by briefly running distilled water in the system. If anybody on these boards has a different way to DIY this I would love to know.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Memberviney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you are changing out warm fluid, there is no real need to flush if it comes out clean.

Drain and replace, with new coolant.

On some cars I just remove the lower coolant hose, its crude but it can be the quickest way to drain the fluid.

Bookmarks & Social Networks