GLU goes to autocross! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Fan#: 56705
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
GLU goes to autocross!

Hey guys, i just wanted to start a thread for myself so i can ask questions and get feedback on what i'm doing.

first off, this will be my first season trying autocross needless to say i'm pretty nervous. i do think i have a pretty good starting platform though.
my zx3 has been dropped with the dynamic suspension, i've got an exhaust and intake and i'm adding a 24mm adjustable RSB and an SVT FSB. oh also my tires aren't the best but i'm running a 215/45/17. something i don't have is SEAT TIME! that will change this year. i'm planning on going to at least 65% of the races this year.

i just have a couple questions and i'm sure more will come up as the first race gets closer and even after that.
launch? zenranger told me 3k is pretty good to to launch at, any other suggestions or tips?
also what are some tips on memorizing the course? like when you're walking it, do you guys take a notebook to sketch it out? i think this would help me remember some of it.

thanks in advance, more questions and discussion to follow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Dont waste your money on the SVT front sway bar, its the same size you have already. The only models that came with a smaller front sway bar is the SPI LX sedan, and the 05 S sedans. Never did the ZX3 come with a smaller front sway.

What I would invest in is some new endlinks for the sway bars. Pick up some MOOG OEM replacements for the front sway bar, and some poly bushings for the rear. The MOOG will look stock but are beffier and have zerks on them.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Your launch isn't very critical, just get to where you get a little bit of chirp or spin off the line. Work on being smooth on the launch so you can be to WOT as soon as you can without wheelspin. Note this will vary with course design. More critical than launch is how you line up at the start. Position the car for the best line at the first turn you have to make.

Walking the course is very important, people sketch the course, some don't. Personally I don't sketch it, but I have some friends that do. I just try to walk as many times as I can, when I walk, I walk a line where my car is going to be, not just blindly following the course.

On key thing that helps me with looking ahead, is asking myself where I need to be looking ahead to at each element, while I walk the course. I used to find myself focused on a turn while I was walking to it. Now I focus on the turn that is one or two or more from where I am walking at.

While I'm waiting for my first run in grid, I'll sit in the car with my eyes closed and visuallize myself running the course. Hands on the wheel and visuallize where I'll brake, turn, and so on. I get weird looks from people, until I beat them:D

Also, take advatage of instructors, and ride along with other fast drivers. Don't be afraid to let others drive your car during fun runs, if your club does them. This is probably on of the quickest ways to learn to be faster when you're a beginer.

Also, don't forget to talk to people, BS about stuff, ask questions, look at other cool cars, and have a good time!

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 03-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #4
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Dont waste your money on the SVT front sway bar, its the same size you have already. The only models that came with a smaller front sway bar is the SPI LX sedan, and the 05 S sedans. Never did the ZX3 come with a smaller front sway.

What I would invest in is some new endlinks for the sway bars. Pick up some MOOG OEM replacements for the front sway bar, and some poly bushings for the rear. The MOOG will look stock but are beffier and have zerks on them.
i'm definitely getting the Moogs at the time of front sway install.
on the fsb, i thought that all 05 s had the smaller one? mine looks SMALL.. i wanna measure it now.. i already ordered the svt one.. used 90 bucks so not bad if it's the same size. Maybe Mike will buy it lol.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

wrc, that was some awesome info!! thanks
Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
steve35svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61033
What I Drive: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

FF Reputation: 4 steve35svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Take a couple walks with some expeienced drivers to show ypou the course. Then walk it many times after, a few times alone to concentrate on where you have to go. Learn how not to get lost then work on proper lines.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:43 PM   #7
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
GLU check this thread out for swaybar info http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151534
Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #8
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

yeah, i checked that out for sure.
it says this, "there is also the 18mm sway bar that is on the SPI as well as the 05+ S and SE Models." so that right there means all 05+S&SE models right? zx3,zx5, sedan..
it really looks tiny man, like it could be 18mm. i'll measure it this weekend.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
sldghmr
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56236
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF, 2003 F-350, 1967 GT-500

FF Reputation: 6 sldghmr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Walking the course is invaluable. One thing that helped me tons, was working the first session and driving the second. I got to watch where others were making mistakes and focused on those spots. I've only been 2 or 3 times and they've been a blast (especially the rain one!!). I've given up trying to do a smoking fast 1st lap and let that be my 'track learning' lap. I do it like I was driving Ms. Daisy....then I keep stepping up my pace lap after lap till the last lap when I'm hoping someone will come up to me and say "if that wasn't your last lap of the day, we'd throw you out of here!"
#449 of 1978 - Black on Black
JRSC w/BBK, McNews's tune, ORP, K&N air, R3d_RovrZX3 3rd brake conversion w/blinkers, FRPP strut tower bar, cross drilled rotors, HPS pads, SS brake lines, lit door locks, Torsen LSD, Centerforce clutch & flywheel...
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #10
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

hopefully WD40 catches this, it's a question about camera mounts. the one he made in particular. i'm going to be making on this weekend, and just wanted to know more about the strap that is needed per scca rules. does it just need to attach to the camera and something else solid? like the mount or headrest bars?
thanks

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->