Zetec timing tool oem# - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Your welcome.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
WrinkledCheese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94287
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 5 WrinkledCheese Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In a pinch, you can remove the spark plug on 1, insert a screw driver and find TDC that way. It doesn't have to be a screw driver, something long enough to touch the piston, slender enough to not damage the spark plug threads and clean enough to prevent contamination.

Person #1 turns crank with wrench
Person #2 holds the screw driver so that it's sitting on the piston, making sure it doesn't come into contact with the cylinder wall or the spark plug threads.

As person 1 VERY SLOWLY turns the crank, person 2 finds the location of TDC. TDC in this trick is exactly when the piston starts to lower.

For the slot bar for the cams, I used a piece of flat bar for welding I had floating around. I shined it up real good so no rust got under the valve cover and cleaned it. Then I ground two spots with my grinder until they just fit into the cam slots.

I made my own bolt without specs and it was too short so the timing was off but the screw driver trick worked enough for me until my timing kit arrives.

Last edited by WrinkledCheese; 07-07-2013 at 02:02 PM. Reason: trank typo should read crank
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 19 amc49 Great Standing Member
Problem is, there is a dead spot at TDC that extends to both sides of it while piston slows down to a stop and reverse direction. You actually are supposed to try and gauge the exact center of that dead spot where screwdriver doesn't move. If you use where it stops or starts you are off a few degrees.

You can make the bar out of Home Depot 3/16" keyway stock for maybe $4 and then use a couple of feeler gauges stuck in either side to build up the .187" thick bar to .200". I use a .012" and .013" to fill in space and perfect. The bolt can be made too, mine cost maybe $2 and a bit of grinding on the bench grinder. Have used them several times now and they work perfect. Much closer than a screwdriver, one of my zetecs has VCT, it has to be pretty exact there.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
CharlesWA
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8774
What I Drive: Twilight Blue 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 CharlesWA Good Standing Member
Since I've seen 2 different lengths mentioned in this thread I'll add that there were some early timing tool kits (AEM I think, bought around 2000-2001) that had a pin a few millimeters too long. Lots of fun to run with the timing off that far... It may be that the older Zetecs (Contours, Cougars, etc.) needed the slightly longer pin. Once cut down to spec (probably out of the Haynes manual) it worked fine in my 2000 model year Focus/Zetec.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
Ceelos87
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104701
What I Drive: 02 twilight blue zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Ceelos87 Good Standing Member
You can simply use a metal beam to line up the cams like I did and it worked perfectly. I save me time and money by just looking around in my garage. All you need it to do is to keep your cams in line why spend so much money on something you can maybe find in a hardware store
Old 08-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
amc49
Focus Fanatic

I do the same thing but it needs to fit tight. Like using the screwdriver in plug hole. Doable but you will often have error that way, maybe motor doesn't run quite as well or the mileage drops a bit. But do that same thing on one of these with VCT and you will go crazy, they require dead on timing, a two degree eroor can post codes.

I use my same timing pin from Haynes manual dimensions on my '98 Contour. The timing pin lines up the crank damper notch exactly to the oil pan timing bump. So, two ways to verify TDC on that one.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Bozok
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118216
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Bozok Good Standing Member
Cheapest I found was the OTC 6486 at Amazon.com. Currently, it's only $20 and has free super saver shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #18
joecicalese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105573
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 4 joecicalese Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's not easier to just make the tool. Unless you happen to have a machine shop in your garage. Just scoop the OTC part for $20 and call it a day.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #19
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Can make the pair for $5 and using a twenty dollar bench grinder. Machine shop? I think not. Internal brain limitations? Oh, yeah.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #20
joecicalese
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105573
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 4 joecicalese Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Can make the pair for $5 and using a twenty dollar bench grinder. Machine shop? I think not. Internal brain limitations? Oh, yeah.
Haha, well you make it for him then! I'm just saying it has to be pretty damn close to perfect and even then the bastard is hard to work with. Can't beat $20 combined with the knowledge that what you have is exactly as it's supposed to be.

Bookmarks & Social Networks