Jgrove's ST Boost Build - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
Looks good!
I'll be in Hagerstown at Mason Dixon Dragway this Friday the 24th.
It's a track rental, but I believe spectators/visitors are OK if you wanted to swing by.
I'll be there from 4:30-8:30.
I'm working night shift or I would definitely be there!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
sporadic
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post
That's sick dude! For the Volvo company day? It'd be sweet to come out and see your setup and watch you run. I'll bring the camera and tripod for pics/vids. I'll PM you.
Yep. I'm coming as an employee guest. A buddy of mine works for Mac/Volvo.
He'll be there in his 1000whp Camaro (still a 6-speed manual!).
I think spectators are $5.
I'll be running drag radials for the first time on the Focus.
EDIT: the drag day was canceled. Sorry for the OT post.

Last edited by sporadic; 09-22-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Thanks! The intercooler install took place in my garage at home in Clear Spring. I had to button everything back up to drive back down for school during the week. Thanks for offering your assistance!

Quick questions though....
1. Where did you get your boost reference from on your '07 for the BOV/boost gauge?
2. Did u modify your PCV system at all?

I've been doing a lot a research on how to properly set up the PCV system with a boost application since the manifold will be pressurized instead of always in vacuum.
1. I tapped the boost gauge into the vacuum hose I have running from the bypass valve to the intake manifold. I think the 2.3L manifold is slightly different but there should be a small nipple on the very top of the manifold that is just capped off. I tapped the hose right to it.
2. I just stuck a small breather on it. It's been doing fine, I just replace it every other oil change with a new one. That's not the best way to go about it though. The best way would be to use a catch can and run the hose from the valve cover to the catch can, and then to the intake piping somewhere before the turbo.

Man, I would LOVE to get up to Mason Dixon Friday night to see Sporadic run. But the event would be over by the time I got off work and got up there.

You and PSUrive should come out to our weekly meet in Glen Burnie once you get it done. We could always use a third turbo'd Focus at our meet. lol

We should all get together one night for a boosted Focus track day. I've been meaning to see what time I'll run with the new, more aggressive tune and poly mounts.

If you want, we could meet up one evening this week and I could show you how everything is run on my car and possibly answer anymore questions you might have.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Fan#: 45311
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
1. I tapped the boost gauge into the vacuum hose I have running from the bypass valve to the intake manifold. I think the 2.3L manifold is slightly different but there should be a small nipple on the very top of the manifold that is just capped off. I tapped the hose right to it.
2. I just stuck a small breather on it. It's been doing fine, I just replace it every other oil change with a new one. That's not the best way to go about it though. The best way would be to use a catch can and run the hose from the valve cover to the catch can, and then to the intake piping somewhere before the turbo.

Man, I would LOVE to get up to Mason Dixon Friday night to see Sporadic run. But the event would be over by the time I got off work and got up there.

You and PSUrive should come out to our weekly meet in Glen Burnie once you get it done. We could always use a third turbo'd Focus at our meet. lol

We should all get together one night for a boosted Focus track day. I've been meaning to see what time I'll run with the new, more aggressive tune and poly mounts.

If you want, we could meet up one evening this week and I could show you how everything is run on my car and possibly answer anymore questions you might have.

My '05 2.0L had that little nipple on it but my 07 2.3L does not Guess I'll have to find somewhere else.

I thought the stock setup had the fresh air entering through the valve cover and then contaminated air exiting through the PCV valve into the intake manifold. As a result of the turbo pressure the PCV value would be forced closed forcing the contaminated air out the valve cover.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. But how is Thursday after 7:30ish? It'd be sweet to take a look at your setup. Friday's event has been cancelled though.
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!

Fan#: 56301
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
My '05 2.0L had that little nipple on it but my 07 2.3L does not Guess I'll have to find somewhere else.

I thought the stock setup had the fresh air entering through the valve cover and then contaminated air exiting through the PCV valve into the intake manifold. As a result of the turbo pressure the PCV value would be forced closed forcing the contaminated air out the valve cover.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. But how is Thursday after 7:30ish? It'd be sweet to take a look at your setup. Friday's event has been cancelled though.
Man, that sucks that got cancelled.

Thursday evening is good with me. I'll be home about 5:30 so anytime after that. I'll PM you my number and you can text or call me.

The other boosted Focus that comes out to our meet has the FSWerks Stg 2 on an 07 ST 2.3 Duratec but he's not on any of the forums though. I'll get in touch with him and see how he set his up.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
The other boosted Focus that comes out to our meet has the FSWerks Stg 2 on an 07 ST 2.3 Duratec but he's not on any of the forums though. I'll get in touch with him and see how he set his up.
I appreciate it man!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
on the pcv you can either leave the valve hooked to the IM and put a one way check valve in line and just put a small breather filter on the valve cover.

or you can take the guts out of the pcv valve and run a hose off of it and to a catch can and a hose from the valve cover to the catch can and put a breather filter on the catch can. this way no oil or oil fumes make it to the IM.

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
sporadic
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
FWIW I ended up running running 5/8" hose from my valve cover and PCV to under the car and behind the cross member.
Unless you have blow-by, nothing comes out except water depending on humidity.
If the underside of your car gets covered with oil blowing out the hoses, time for a rebuild.
Ask me how I know. :P
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
yep you can do that

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
on the pcv you can either leave the valve hooked to the IM and put a one way check valve in line and just put a small breather filter on the valve cover.

or you can take the guts out of the pcv valve and run a hose off of it and to a catch can and a hose from the valve cover to the catch can and put a breather filter on the catch can. this way no oil or oil fumes make it to the IM.
Thanks for the advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
FWIW I ended up running running 5/8" hose from my valve cover and PCV to under the car and behind the cross member.
Unless you have blow-by, nothing comes out except water depending on humidity.
If the underside of your car gets covered with oil blowing out the hoses, time for a rebuild.
Ask me how I know. :P
I may end up doing that because I believe my best place for boost reference is going to be the spot the PCV value enters the intake manifold.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
bamf'n, custom, duratec, turbo