Jgrove's ST Boost Build - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic
 
PSUrivie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Fan#: 67329
Location: Elkridge, MD
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

Posts: 1,973
FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
Looks good!
I'll be in Hagerstown at Mason Dixon Dragway this Friday the 24th.
It's a track rental, but I believe spectators/visitors are OK if you wanted to swing by.
I'll be there from 4:30-8:30.
I'm working night shift or I would definitely be there!!!!!
__________________
Finishing up the winter projects.
PSUrivie is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
sporadic
Focus Addict
 
sporadic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 12724
Location: Fairmont, WV
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

Posts: 1,235
FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post
That's sick dude! For the Volvo company day? It'd be sweet to come out and see your setup and watch you run. I'll bring the camera and tripod for pics/vids. I'll PM you.
Yep. I'm coming as an employee guest. A buddy of mine works for Mac/Volvo.
He'll be there in his 1000whp Camaro (still a 6-speed manual!).
I think spectators are $5.
I'll be running drag radials for the first time on the Focus.
EDIT: the drag day was canceled. Sorry for the OT post.
__________________
2006 sonic blue zx5 GT2871r turbo.

Last edited by sporadic; 09-22-2010 at 08:40 AM.
sporadic is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!
 
SMITHBOY76908's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Fan#: 56301
Location: Dayton, Oh / Dallas, Tx, United States
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Posts: 5,272
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post
Thanks! The intercooler install took place in my garage at home in Clear Spring. I had to button everything back up to drive back down for school during the week. Thanks for offering your assistance!

Quick questions though....
1. Where did you get your boost reference from on your '07 for the BOV/boost gauge?
2. Did u modify your PCV system at all?

I've been doing a lot a research on how to properly set up the PCV system with a boost application since the manifold will be pressurized instead of always in vacuum.
1. I tapped the boost gauge into the vacuum hose I have running from the bypass valve to the intake manifold. I think the 2.3L manifold is slightly different but there should be a small nipple on the very top of the manifold that is just capped off. I tapped the hose right to it.
2. I just stuck a small breather on it. It's been doing fine, I just replace it every other oil change with a new one. That's not the best way to go about it though. The best way would be to use a catch can and run the hose from the valve cover to the catch can, and then to the intake piping somewhere before the turbo.

Man, I would LOVE to get up to Mason Dixon Friday night to see Sporadic run. But the event would be over by the time I got off work and got up there.

You and PSUrive should come out to our weekly meet in Glen Burnie once you get it done. We could always use a third turbo'd Focus at our meet. lol

We should all get together one night for a boosted Focus track day. I've been meaning to see what time I'll run with the new, more aggressive tune and poly mounts.

If you want, we could meet up one evening this week and I could show you how everything is run on my car and possibly answer anymore questions you might have.
__________________
Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger!
MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!
SMITHBOY76908 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 AM   #14
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST
 
Jgrove998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45311
Location: Sykesville, MD
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

Posts: 2,416
FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
1. I tapped the boost gauge into the vacuum hose I have running from the bypass valve to the intake manifold. I think the 2.3L manifold is slightly different but there should be a small nipple on the very top of the manifold that is just capped off. I tapped the hose right to it.
2. I just stuck a small breather on it. It's been doing fine, I just replace it every other oil change with a new one. That's not the best way to go about it though. The best way would be to use a catch can and run the hose from the valve cover to the catch can, and then to the intake piping somewhere before the turbo.

Man, I would LOVE to get up to Mason Dixon Friday night to see Sporadic run. But the event would be over by the time I got off work and got up there.

You and PSUrive should come out to our weekly meet in Glen Burnie once you get it done. We could always use a third turbo'd Focus at our meet. lol

We should all get together one night for a boosted Focus track day. I've been meaning to see what time I'll run with the new, more aggressive tune and poly mounts.

If you want, we could meet up one evening this week and I could show you how everything is run on my car and possibly answer anymore questions you might have.

My '05 2.0L had that little nipple on it but my 07 2.3L does not Guess I'll have to find somewhere else.

I thought the stock setup had the fresh air entering through the valve cover and then contaminated air exiting through the PCV valve into the intake manifold. As a result of the turbo pressure the PCV value would be forced closed forcing the contaminated air out the valve cover.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. But how is Thursday after 7:30ish? It'd be sweet to take a look at your setup. Friday's event has been cancelled though.
__________________
2012 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
'86 XR4Ti ; 2.3L Turbo, 15psi
1988 F150 Custom
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Jgrove998 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #15
SMITHBOY76908
Boost Junkie!
 
SMITHBOY76908's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Fan#: 56301
Location: Dayton, Oh / Dallas, Tx, United States
What I Drive: 2007 Turbo ZX3

Posts: 5,272
FF Reputation: 18 SMITHBOY76908 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrove998 View Post
My '05 2.0L had that little nipple on it but my 07 2.3L does not Guess I'll have to find somewhere else.

I thought the stock setup had the fresh air entering through the valve cover and then contaminated air exiting through the PCV valve into the intake manifold. As a result of the turbo pressure the PCV value would be forced closed forcing the contaminated air out the valve cover.

Maybe I'm over thinking it. But how is Thursday after 7:30ish? It'd be sweet to take a look at your setup. Friday's event has been cancelled though.
Man, that sucks that got cancelled.

Thursday evening is good with me. I'll be home about 5:30 so anytime after that. I'll PM you my number and you can text or call me.

The other boosted Focus that comes out to our meet has the FSWerks Stg 2 on an 07 ST 2.3 Duratec but he's not on any of the forums though. I'll get in touch with him and see how he set his up.
__________________
Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger! Badger!
MUSHROOM! MUSHROOM!
SMITHBOY76908 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST
 
Jgrove998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45311
Location: Sykesville, MD
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

Posts: 2,416
FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMITHBOY76908 View Post
The other boosted Focus that comes out to our meet has the FSWerks Stg 2 on an 07 ST 2.3 Duratec but he's not on any of the forums though. I'll get in touch with him and see how he set his up.
I appreciate it man!
__________________
2012 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
'86 XR4Ti ; 2.3L Turbo, 15psi
1988 F150 Custom
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Jgrove998 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!
 
Turbo Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fan#: 32772
Location: Calera, AL
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

Posts: 4,741
FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
on the pcv you can either leave the valve hooked to the IM and put a one way check valve in line and just put a small breather filter on the valve cover.

or you can take the guts out of the pcv valve and run a hose off of it and to a catch can and a hose from the valve cover to the catch can and put a breather filter on the catch can. this way no oil or oil fumes make it to the IM.
__________________
Turbo Turtle Garage
Mig and Tig fabrication, engine building


facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Turbo Turtle is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
sporadic
Focus Addict
 
sporadic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Fan#: 12724
Location: Fairmont, WV
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

Posts: 1,235
FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
FWIW I ended up running running 5/8" hose from my valve cover and PCV to under the car and behind the cross member.
Unless you have blow-by, nothing comes out except water depending on humidity.
If the underside of your car gets covered with oil blowing out the hoses, time for a rebuild.
Ask me how I know. :P
__________________
2006 sonic blue zx5 GT2871r turbo.
sporadic is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!
 
Turbo Turtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Fan#: 32772
Location: Calera, AL
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

Posts: 4,741
FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
yep you can do that
__________________
Turbo Turtle Garage
Mig and Tig fabrication, engine building


facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Turbo Turtle is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #20
Jgrove998
i <3 my ST
 
Jgrove998's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Fan#: 45311
Location: Sykesville, MD
What I Drive: '12 Fusion SE V6

Posts: 2,416
FF Reputation: 24 Jgrove998 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Turtle View Post
on the pcv you can either leave the valve hooked to the IM and put a one way check valve in line and just put a small breather filter on the valve cover.

or you can take the guts out of the pcv valve and run a hose off of it and to a catch can and a hose from the valve cover to the catch can and put a breather filter on the catch can. this way no oil or oil fumes make it to the IM.
Thanks for the advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
FWIW I ended up running running 5/8" hose from my valve cover and PCV to under the car and behind the cross member.
Unless you have blow-by, nothing comes out except water depending on humidity.
If the underside of your car gets covered with oil blowing out the hoses, time for a rebuild.
Ask me how I know. :P
I may end up doing that because I believe my best place for boost reference is going to be the spot the PCV value enters the intake manifold.
__________________
2012 Fusion SE 3.0L V6
'86 XR4Ti ; 2.3L Turbo, 15psi
1988 F150 Custom
'07 ST ; formally bewst'd - R.I.P
D23 Crew: #07
Jgrove998 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Tags
bamf'n, custom, duratec, turbo

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.