Rear O2 problem. Replace cat or eliminate?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-25-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
Stlsinger
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 184321
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Stlsinger Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rear O2 problem. Replace cat or eliminate??

Ok guys. First question with my new 02 SVT. Several issues with the car I'm rectifying as I can. Had two codes 1033 and 1442. Replaced front o2 with ford part and the rear is stuck in. Two shops said I would have to drop the pipe and have a new bung welded in the same spot. Do I spend the money for this, buy a new high flow cat or get the rear o2 eliminator? Or get the time from Tom and shit it off? Car does sputter a bit although it's a lot better with the new upstream o2. I did notice my gas mileage seems a lot worse now for some reason. Also as far as the 1442 evap code. I found the evap hose by the fuel filter that hangs down doesn't have the clip and the actual hose is broken where the clip would snap in. So I taped it to the line for the time being. Any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If the code was 0133 it refers to the front one you've changed.

Not seeing a 1033 in the basic list on the site.

S.R. #275
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Stlsinger
Focus Rookie

Yeah. I know. I had a place give it a once over and they said the rear was not working at all. I bought both from ford and replaced the front anyways. It def helped. But the rear is all jacked up and bent. From what I've read it doesn't really do anything anyways. But I still want to make it right one way or another
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
Jon_SVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34787
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 2 Jon_SVT Good Standing Member
ELIMINATE IT!! It's super easy to make an O2 cheater also.... $5 parts and like 20 min of your time. It was good enough to pass smog test and get me insurance on my car! :D heh

I've had ENOUGH trouble dealing with getting a cat in there thats not a $2000 OEM Ford CAT for the SVT. All the aftermarket units CRACK at the weld points. They're all junk and are a guaranteed fail, its just a matter of how long.....

I just had a straight pipe welded in and havent had to deal with it ever since. Car IS a bit louder, but I'd rather deal with loud than deal with fixing.... Plus you can always get a quieter muffler welded in downstream...
Second: 2002 Ford Focus SVT (#2808 of 4788)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #5
moneymaker313
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 78015
What I Drive: 2004,grey,zx5 SVT EAP

FF Reputation: 1 moneymaker313 Good Standing Member
You can also eliminate it with a hand held tuner...which is what i did..plus you get to tune it as well!!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Stlsinger
Focus Rookie

Made an O2 cheater today until I can get a tune from Tom. Apparently the guy I bought this car from already had one made which is why it wasn't reading right for the techs at firestone. It would have been nice to know this information before I bought it. Plus I think the cat is hollowed out. Either way I'm diggin the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->