Stuck Gas Pedal - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
FocusGirl32
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93443
What I Drive: 2007 Black Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 FocusGirl32 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stuck Gas Pedal

Hi all,

I just bought a used 2007 Focus ZX5 back in May. This is my first car and I know nothing about them in general so everything pretty much scares me in terms of whether or not something needs to be replaced.

I live in Canda and it has gotten pretty cold here recently. Tonight after working almost 9 hours I was in the parking lot warming up my car because it's -20 with the windchill. I was backing out of my parking space and all was fine. I put the car into drive and when I tried to hit the gas pedal it was stuck. Nothing happened. I hit it a few times and still nothing happened. I put the car in park after crawling forward a bit and then pushed the gas pedal a few more times and finally it unstuck and everything was back to normal. This has happened on one other occasion at night when I have finished working. Everything is fine in the afternoon when I head to work.

I'm just wondering (and praying) if this is normal or not for cold weather. I've searched Google and read stuff about the floor mat being stuck (which it isn't), and something about the throttle body having carbon in there which causes the butterfly to stick, and also something about a dragging line...

Clearly this is all over my head. I'm just hoping that it's either normal for cold weather or something that can be easily fixed and might not be excessively expensive.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

FF Reputation: 8 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
When its cold, ive noticed that my gas pedal can get a bit.. catchy. It doesnt get stuck in throttle, just at idle. Once the heater turns on, its enough to get it to work.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
FocusGirl32
Focus Rookie

My gas pedal isn't catchy. It feels like there is a brick underneath it or something. I'm guessing this isn't normal especially for an automatic vehicle...but tonight I'm going to park in a different spot at work and see if it still does it as well as warm my car up longer than usual...
Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
fast*st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93319
What I Drive: 1999 F350 Dually, 03 SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 fast*st Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Worked on a Escape with this issue, it was thermal expansion and gunk in the throttle body causing it to really jam up hard after a cold soak. Carb/TB cleaner fixed it up fine.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
FocusGirl32
Focus Rookie

Is this an easy fix? And where can I find that cleaner?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
fast*st
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusGirl32 View Post
Is this an easy fix? And where can I find that cleaner?
Pretty easy fix, at least to check, pull off the air snorkel, the throttle body is the fiddlybit with the cables running to it. Might have to take off the air box lid, then loosen the hose on the throttle body to expose the plate. Carb and or throttle body cleaner are available at any parts store. Open and close the throttle by hand (engine not running) while spraying all around inside with the cleaner. Work it and don't forget to spray the linkages too a bit, then it should be a lot smoother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41yFX...eature=related saturn but similar in layout to focus
Old 01-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
fast*st
Focus Enthusiast

Well, did that help? any updates?
Old 01-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
gjm4l
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93287
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3 S

FF Reputation: 1 gjm4l Good Standing Member
Just noticed the same issue on my new to me '07, I'd go with what fast*st said, was my first thought (sticking tb) but mine's the same as above, only does it at idle or when shifting (letting the throttle close between shifts) only did it last night when it was actually cold here (18* is cold for here) so I gotta check mine out if the problem persists. Let us know what you find out with yours.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
FecalRocket
Focus Addict

Fan#: 75116
What I Drive: 07 Liquid Gray ST

FF Reputation: 3 FecalRocket Good Standing Member
im curious on this as well. My 05 did it and now my 07 does it too but ONLY when its cold out around 35*F or less. Never did find a fix for it besides accelerating really hard for a second or two then it goes away.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
fast*st
Focus Enthusiast

Well, attacking the throttle plate with some carb&choke or TBI cleaner should take about 2 minutes and let you know if goop is the problem. On closer foot inspection, mine sticks a little, just on tip in but usually I'm wearing boots and can't feel it. When its closer to freezing out, I'll check it out.

Bookmarks & Social Networks