High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 89 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013 Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #881
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF Mobile Thanks for posting Mac, even the regular focus has a great sound too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #882
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
That torque curve looks awesome! I don't think I'd mind the electronic LSD if it works as well as the GTI's. I bet power is limited in 1st 2nd and maybe 3rd gear, that would explain 0-60 in 6.5s. I want it as long as it's priced competitively with the MS3 and GTI (24k base price), any more than that and I'd go for the WRX to get the boxer and AWD.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #883
JDBug182
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83895
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 3 JDBug182 Good Standing Member
so...not sure who else gets emails from ford racing or if anyone else know bout this...but thought id share this section from an email I got a few days ago...ST-R?!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #884
Edgar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89037
What I Drive: 2006 F-150

FF Reputation: 2 Edgar Good Standing Member
Yea it also debuted at the Frankfurt auto show with the ST and fiesta ST. It was in blue and white tho
SoCal Crew #7
DUB Edition 2012 Focus Hatch *SOLD*
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #885
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBug182 View Post
so...not sure who else gets emails from ford racing or if anyone else know bout this...but thought id share this section from an email I got a few days ago...ST-R?!

Posted via FF Mobile Yup, expensive, but it is a purpose built race car.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #886
suterp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83384
What I Drive: 2013 red focus SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 suterp Good Standing Member
Numbers wise the ST is looking a lot like the '08-10 cobalt SS. Both being 3000 pound FWD vehicles with 2.0 DI turbo making almost identical power/torque over the same RPMs. So I imagine straight line speed will be about the same, around 14.0 @100 in the 1/4. The big question for me is how dialed in they got the handling, steering, shifting, braking which I'm guessing we won't know for a while. I have high hopes but if it falls flat in the handling department I'll probably get a MS3.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #887
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by suterp View Post
Numbers wise the ST is looking a lot like the '08-10 cobalt SS. Both being 3000 pound FWD vehicles with 2.0 DI turbo making almost identical power/torque over the same RPMs. So I imagine straight line speed will be about the same, around 14.0 @100 in the 1/4. The big question for me is how dialed in they got the handling, steering, shifting, braking which I'm guessing we won't know for a while. I have high hopes but if it falls flat in the handling department I'll probably get a MS3.

Posted via FF Mobile Id be goin with the opposite, I have no doubts in my mind when it comes to great handling Fords, especially the focus.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 AM   #888
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Id be goin with the opposite, I have no doubts in my mind when it comes to great handling Fords, especially the focus.

+1 !!

Keep in mind you are not looking at a base Focus here.

IMHO Ford has made great strides in improving their ability to tune a suspension, in the last 5 years or so I think they have made definite improvements. Plus the new Focus is the "global platform", it was designed from the ground up to be able to handle at least decently well to stand up to European expectations (who had a better Focus while we all got the crappy "refresh" of the previous generation in the US, so that market was expecting improvements above what they had previously). Also I am pretty sure the Focus has gotten overall good reviews for handling.

So take a car with decent handling out of the box, and give it to not just SVT or RS, but the now combined brainpower of both.

RS brought Europe a Focus RS with 300 hp and RS500 with 350 to the front wheels, and they got rave reviews on handling despite going "against the grain" and putting a crapton of power in a FWD car.

SVT brought us the SVTF which I love obviously, and IRS on a almost 500 hp Mustang Cobra, 8 years ago (I have no idea the stock numbers, but my nieghbor runs his at a little over 500 to the wheels, that car is supposed to be good for way more too).

Clearly SVT knows what they are doing. Clearly RS knows what they are doing. Now they are merged.

Anyway, I am going in with the assumption that it will kick butt out of the box. My personal expectations are that it might be on par with the MS3 in suspension tuning, or hopefully a tad better, and also be hopefully lighter. @ 3248 lbs the MS3 has gotten a little piggly in its old age. I do also expect the ST to be a little more refined on the interior and options than the MS3 to justify being priced a few grand above it.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:55 AM   #889
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
I'd like to see the ST w/ a base interior & more suspension work= bigger brake's/coilover's!
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM   #890
DognamedMack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21406
What I Drive: kah

FF Reputation: 3 DognamedMack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I do not know much but I would not be surprised to see the ST have handling that outperforms the power. If I said that correctly and you understand what I am trying to get at.

Personally I have always been impressed by the handling of the Focus. Yes I have only driven ZX3,sedan and wagon from 00-03 (ok test driven a few newer ones including '12) but even the refresh was supposed to be an improvement of sorts. Talking with some SVT owners Ford did make the SVTf handle good but it seemed to be lacking slightly. Mods fixed that for the SVTf owners I spoke with.

Bookmarks & Social Networks