High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 82 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013 Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #811
DEREKC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82958
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 DEREKC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You know that the ST is not suppose to be release until next year year right??? I am sorry, but if you want it wait!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 PM   #812
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2006 Silver ZX3 SES

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by apagios View Post
+1. I have not seen any mention of the revoknuckle for the ST in the news. So I was kind of assuming they would use the torque shift from the new Focus? Though I haven't researched the specifics on how that was implemented.

Regardless I am going to toss out my opinion of: Who cares about torque steer? If you were otherwise enamored with the new Focus ST enough seriously consider buying it, would torque steer really be a deal breaker? AWD from the WRX would likely be a much more positive reason to pick a WRX over a Focus ST, then torque steer on the ST being a negative reason not to buy it. Price is another factor which will have a much greater impact on my decision then a little toque steer once in a while.

I pushed a friends 2010 MS3 hard specifically trying to find this "horrendous torque steer" all the auto journalists keep complaining about. Pretty much every review says the same caveated praise: "it's the best performance bang for your buck, but you have to deal with torque steer"

It's really not that bad. If you know it's coming it's relatively easy to compensate, and frankly on the street I wouldn't plan to be shifting at max boost while in a hard turn anyway. I can see the issue for a dedicated track car, but if you are pushing hard enough that torque steer on the MS3 causes a serious issue and risking loss of control, then you very likely should be on a track anyway. I am all for a spirited fun drive, but public roads are nto the place to drive 10/10ths, and I personally don't feel torque steer is a huge issue on a spirited 7 or 8/10ths pace.

Don't get me wrong I'd love for it to be compensated for in a manner that does not sap power. But I just don't think torque steer as big an issue as the media has made it out to be for the MS3.

So that said, no revoknuckle is not a deal breaker on the ST for me
I'm a little late to the party:

Yes, it would be a deal breaker for me. It looks like a great car, but I'm not dead set on it. I could pick up a MS3 for less money, or pick up some other sport compact in the $20k-$30k price range that doesn't have terrible torque steer: (VW GTI, Subaru WRX, Civic Si, Mini Cooper S, Volvo C30). Or, if I could do without utility I could get a Mustang.

Yes, torque steer can be controlled and dealt with. Is it tolerable? Yes. But if I'm paying $25,000 for a car I don't want to be forced to tolerate the way it drives, I want to actually be happy with it. If I were buying it for the track perhaps I wouldn't care, but I'd be buying it to drive every day, (hopefully) until the wheels fall off.

I notice torque steer in my Focus at WOT, bone stock. It's a lot less powerful than the new ST should be. I paid $6k for it, so I don't really care. But if I'm paying 4x as much I want the car to be 4x as good.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #813
Stereodude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85623
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
Focus RS is confirmed. link
Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #814
Armen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88098
What I Drive: 2012 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 Armen Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Focus RS is confirmed. link
But will it be sold in North America?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #815
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
RS RS RS who cares. The ST is the current news and will be for a while.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 08-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #816
Stereodude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85623
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armen View Post
But will it be sold in North America?
Who knows...
Old 08-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #817
DognamedMack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21406
What I Drive: kah

FF Reputation: 3 DognamedMack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
With the RS overseas it is not a "will it come out" but a "when will it come out". Kind of like the SVT Mustang. We know there will be one just a matter of what year(s) they decide to make it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #818
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
The RS probably won't be out until 2014 or 2015. I'm not waiting that long to get a high performance Focus.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #819
dtecPwr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54622
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange SVT 3 door #2176

FF Reputation: 2 dtecPwr Good Standing Member
An RS would be nice but there is no way i'm waiting that long. I've been waiting to long for a freaking ST. Right now I think most of us are still concerned with more details on the ST. Heck were still waiting on a price for the ST, I can't even imagine RS prices...
Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #820
2phun
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86461
What I Drive: 2005 MINI MCSc and 1982 Mini

FF Reputation: 2 2phun Good Standing Member
I'm looking at likely winter 2012/spring 2013 for purchasing the ST. So if there's any more concrete data on the RS coming to the States when that time comes around, I'd strongly consider waiting a little longer and getting it. I was thoroughly impressed with the RSs that I saw on the Nürburgring. Actually awestruck would probably be a more appropriate term. Scoobies and Evos had absolutely nothing on them. The RS was beast on the Ring, keeping up with cars costing substantially more. Never thought a FWD car could perform like that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks