High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 65 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #641
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'd be very surprised if they went with a mechanical differential. Many car companies are switching to electronic differential systems for a reason. It would be a step backwards to switch back to mechanical because it would add weight, cost, and reduce fuel economy. As much as I'd like to see one too, I just don't think it's going to happen if they plan to keep it competitively priced.

The 2012 Focus's torque vectoring system is different from other manufacturers' electronical differential systems in that it doesn't involve any engine braking. So with the Focus you can keep the engine nicely revved during hard cornering. I think the ST might improve upon that in some way, in addition to modifications in the suspension (not necessarily revoknuckle). That's all they're saying. It's vague enough that it would be pointless to draw any conclusions from his statements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #642
DognamedMack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21406
What I Drive: kah

FF Reputation: 3 DognamedMack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Ok,
So I was reading some of those links and links in the links and read that the new base Focus motor is a 2.0L putting out 160hp. Isn't that 10 shy of the SVTf and the same as what the 2.3L (05 ST) was putting out?

I'm asking myself why did it take from the mid '80s to 2000 to increase base motors from about 90-100hp to about 130 but yet it takes less than 10 years to jump another 30hp.....

And with that even the Base Focus doesn't seem to shabby on its own.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #643
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
05 ST is putting out 151hp, but more importantly, 154ft/lbs of torque. That's where the fun is for a DD!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 AM   #644
NotAnSES
Focus Addict

Fan#: 77951
What I Drive: 2013 PB Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 NotAnSES Good Standing Member
My buddy thinks his SVT is like the fastest car on the planet. lol He always puts my ST down saying its weak in comparison, I'm like, dude its the same car essentially. My car is a 2.3 with about 158-160 HP (with CAI) and about 160 TQ (with CAI) and his stock SVT is a 2.0 with high compression giving him 171 HP and about 146 TQ. What he doesnt get is that my car makes up in TQ what it lacks in HP. And the key thing here is that HP sells cars, and TQ wins races. My car is literally the same as his, we would be neck in neck if we were to ever race.
ST Crew #109
2006 ZX4 ST SAP Sold!
2007 Honda Civic Si----Sold.. :(
1995 BMW 316i Beater for Germany
2013 Focus ST!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #645
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Grunt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnSES View Post
My buddy thinks his SVT is like the fastest car on the planet. lol He always puts my ST down saying its weak in comparison, I'm like, dude its the same car essentially. My car is a 2.3 with about 158-160 HP (with CAI) and about 160 TQ (with CAI) and his stock SVT is a 2.0 with high compression giving him 171 HP and about 146 TQ. What he doesnt get is that my car makes up in TQ what it lacks in HP. And the key thing here is that HP sells cars, and TQ wins races. My car is literally the same as his, we would be neck in neck if we were to ever race.
Thats one reason why I like the 23 motor, is the torque, even thou they are 2 different style of motors. I love to have another 50lbs of torque. And that takes boost or nox. I love the SVT's.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #646
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Throw a header, exhaust and a tune on there, and then walk away quickly on him. Add in some cams and literally run away.

Anyway, can't wait to see some technical specs released on the ST, so we can stop wondering on things like suspension and drive train.

ST CREW #107 / TEAM DURATEC #93 / D23 Crew #3
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #647
NotAnSES
Focus Addict

^^^He'll still think his car is faster though...its a pride issue lol and yes, I will need to see more specs before pulling the trigger and committing to buying the new ST.
ST Crew #109
2006 ZX4 ST SAP Sold!
2013 Focus ST!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #648
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
^^^He'll still think his car is faster though...its a pride issue lol and yes, I will need to see more specs before pulling the trigger and committing to buying the new ST.

Posted via FF Mobile Throw some svt springs on and then youll have the same suspension as well. You already have the dampers. Better yet, go to FocusFest with him and compete in the SVT vs ST races...see who wins.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #649
NotAnSES
Focus Addict

Ill be in basic training :( But guess what? He JUST called me and told me he just impulsively bought an 09' Cobalt SS turbo. O gawd! something else for him to boast about lol I would have to go turbo to compete with that! BTW Hes selling his SVT if anyone in the Cincy area is interested lol
ST Crew #109
2006 ZX4 ST SAP Sold!
2013 Focus ST!
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #650
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Ill be in basic training :( But guess what? He JUST called me and told me he just impulsively bought an 09' Cobalt SS turbo. O gawd! something else for him to boast about lol I would have to go turbo to compete with that! BTW Hes selling his SVT if anyone in the Cincy area is interested lol
You'll have to run a pretty serious setup to keep up in a straight line with the SS...people rag on them, but nobody could touch them stock for stock except the MS3.

Have fun trying to catch him anywhere, unless he's a total moron (which sounds like it might be the case).

Bookmarks & Social Networks