High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 60 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #591
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Loving that new Focus design, but I have one question will it come with the 6 speed automatic transmission or a paddle shift transmission, if so where can I sign?
Manual only, for now. The current PowerShift (dry dual clutch) transmission can't handle the rated horsepower/torque figures of the Focus ST. Anything is possible in the future though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #592
Giancarlo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 66325
What I Drive: 2001 Street Edition Sedan

Points 3,157, Level 34
Points: 3,157, Level: 34 Points: 3,157, Level: 34 Points: 3,157, Level: 34
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Giancarlo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
Manual only, for now. The current PowerShift (dry dual clutch) transmission can't handle the rated horsepower/torque figures of the Focus ST. Anything is possible in the future though...
Damn, hopefully that would be subject to change. I'm constantly in traffic and having a manual transmission would be horrible.
A Random Canadian from Sedan Revolution #196SR
Old 02-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #593
DognamedMack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21406
What I Drive: kah

Points 1,424, Level 21
Points: 1,424, Level: 21 Points: 1,424, Level: 21 Points: 1,424, Level: 21
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 DognamedMack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo View Post
Damn, hopefully that would be subject to change. I'm constantly in traffic and having a manual transmission would be horrible.
I am glad to hear it will only be manual.
I go to the dealer lots and have a hard time finding Fiesta's and Foci in 5 speeds.

I currently have 3 street legal vehicles and 2 are 5 speed and one (my truck) auto. My plow truck is even a 5 speed. My DD 02 Focus wagon 5 speed is driven about 3K per month or at least within 6 weeks.

I am trying my hardest to pay off my debt to be able to get one of these bad boy ST's. If I loose my job my dreams will be more than just crushed.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #594
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

"Thank God it's only manual!" I hear that a lot on a lot of forums and automotive blogging sites. It's that sort of mentality which turns me off from brands like Ford and Mazda, which offer their sport trims in manual only. I truly respect enthusiasts who prefer to row their own gears, as well as the skills involved in being able to do that so effortlessly. But being elitist about it and excluding drivers that may prefer an automatic is just straight up asinine.

Luckily most manufacturers are evolving in the 21st century and are offering a dual clutch option in their sport trim cars. I think most manual drivers simply feel threatened that their choice of transmission will eventually be phased out. To be honest I hope not either. The entire point of the argument is to give us MORE options, not create some communistic lineup of sporty cars. Don't forget that we live in America.

Even though I'm not a fan of the 2012 Focus ST and I don't plan on buying one, it would be nice to see Ford take their PowerShift transmission seriously and remedy the situation. It's too early to tell right now whether they plan to do so, due to a technical hurdle. But if they get back into their old ways of sticking to manual only for their ST/SVT lineup, all I can say is that there are plenty of other manufacturers out there that'll keep me happy...

Old 02-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #595
fast07st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54363
What I Drive: 07 Red Focus ST, 93 Stang, 68 Stang

FF Reputation: 2 fast07st Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile I didn't like it at first, I really like the standard focus face to be honest. Still do, but this is growing on me. And it does look better in blue. Just try to tell yourself that the huge mouth is hiding a huge intercooler that is mounted higher so you won't bust it up on speed bumps.
I agree... the standard focus face looks nicer imo as well... it actually has round fog lights that remind me of the svtf... but I could forgive the ST for looking like that :)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #596
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmoose View Post
"Thank God it's only manual!" I hear that a lot on a lot of forums and automotive blogging sites. It's that sort of mentality which turns me off from brands like Ford and Mazda, which offer their sport trims in manual only. I truly respect enthusiasts who prefer to row their own gears, as well as the skills involved in being able to do that so effortlessly. But being elitist about it and excluding drivers that may prefer an automatic is just straight up asinine.

Luckily most manufacturers are evolving in the 21st century and are offering a dual clutch option in their sport trim cars. I think most manual drivers simply feel threatened that their choice of transmission will eventually be phased out. To be honest I hope not either. The entire point of the argument is to give us MORE options, not create some communistic lineup of sporty cars. Don't forget that we live in America.

Even though I'm not a fan of the 2012 Focus ST and I don't plan on buying one, it would be nice to see Ford take their PowerShift transmission seriously and remedy the situation. It's too early to tell right now whether they plan to do so, due to a technical hurdle. But if they get back into their old ways of sticking to manual only for their ST/SVT lineup, all I can say is that there are plenty of other manufacturers out there that'll keep me happy...

Perfectly said. More power to you MTX guys, but I'd prefer to be able to have fully automatic mode in my ST for daily driving in traffic, but then hit the paddles when I feel like having some fun.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #597
ZeppFreak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38138
What I Drive: Genuine 06 Silver Roush Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 ZeppFreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbones00SE View Post
Perfectly said. More power to you MTX guys, but I'd prefer to be able to have fully automatic mode in my ST for daily driving in traffic, but then hit the paddles when I feel like having some fun.
+1

Dual Clutch is the only reason I am considering a GTI 4 dr over the ST. For daily driving and traffic it is a dream
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
Hey Roush whore, black out the silver paint behind the bumpers!!! We can see your body lines.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:00 AM   #598
ZeppFreak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38138
What I Drive: Genuine 06 Silver Roush Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 ZeppFreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Those seats aren't going to production... Neither are the big brakes... Just an FYI, don't ask how I know.
wow... The 2 features I was kind of stoked on are not apart of this.

The seats are a little much, but big brakes are always nice.

I speculate it is to keep price down. smaller breaks and regular seats can easily drop the price $1k
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
Hey Roush whore, black out the silver paint behind the bumpers!!! We can see your body lines.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #599
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
^^ Not to mention that the GTI DSI actually sprints quicker to 60 vs. the MTX version, even in the hands of a professional driver. But that's a nod to German engineering. I'd like to think that Ford could build a ATX that works as well, but it's yet to be proven.

Still, for the fun factor... MTX takes my money.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:27 AM   #600
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
^^ Not to mention that the GTI DSI actually sprints quicker to 60 vs. the MTX version, even in the hands of a professional driver. But that's a nod to German engineering. I'd like to think that Ford could build a ATX that works as well, but it's yet to be proven.

Still, for the fun factor... MTX takes my money.
German or not, any dual clutch will sprint faster to 60 than a manual. The only reason why some prefer not to have it is because you lose the clutch pedal. Other then that it's the same exact thing as a regular manual, but with the benefit of a automatic mode too.

Bookmarks & Social Networks