High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 38 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #371
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

Points 4,472, Level 42
Points: 4,472, Level: 42 Points: 4,472, Level: 42 Points: 4,472, Level: 42
Level Up 61% Completed
Level up: 61% Level up: 61% Level up: 61%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smills View Post
Eh, I would prefer the 5 door hatch myself, I have driven a coupe for a while and it is really annoying to keep moving the seats forwards to let people in the back (I have more than two people in my car a lot of the time).

What I really want to see is a Powershift option with paddle-shift. If Ford announces that as an option I would buy this car the second it is available on the market. What do you guys think is the chance of them adding a dual-clutch gearbox as an transmission option?
Most of my driving is to and from work. For that, a lightweight coupe would be perfect.
Options, that's what we need
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #372
CheeseEater88
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 72152
What I Drive: 2002, Black, Zetec Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 CheeseEater88 Good Standing Member
If the DSG could be "built up"... hell yeah I'd consider it...

I do a daily grind in my rowboat.... I am a hothead... but I manage...

DSGs are new... just give all the haters time to love'em...

I am not a skeptic... I like the DSG, but I wouldn't want to have it because of its possible torque limitations... the aftermarket has to become involved... then I'll think of throwing money at the cost of an "automatic".

If its "what you see is what you get"... then I'd be more hesitant... I might want to do some larger turbo/tune bolt ons...
Old 10-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #373
Smills
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79668
What I Drive: Nothing

FF Reputation: 1 Smills Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseEater88 View Post
5-door or 3-door, I'd pick the 3, but I could be content with the 5...

as for the DSG... not likely... ford has nothing in place to handle the torque of the new EB 2.0... they could... maybe in a years time or so.... but jost was pretty clear that it was to be a 6-speed rowboat...

the only thing I really want is double over drive... I don't need to be spinning 3K... just driving...
While the dual-clutch transmission Ford uses in the normal Focus and Fiesta is not capable of handling the torque the ST will spit out Ford does indeed have dual clutch transmissions that can take it. The Powershift in the standard Focus is a dry-clutch system, but Ford's wet-clutch transmissions can take considerably more torque.

It is possible for Ford to put a dual-clutch in the ST. The question is, will they? Jost did seem to say that it wouldn't be getting it, but I still hold on to hope. Seems my best other option is the Golf GTI/R if I want a dual-clutch in a performance-hatch.

As to the 3-door, what particular reason do you have for liking it over the 5 door out of interest? I have always wondered this.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #374
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smills View Post
While the dual-clutch transmission Ford uses in the normal Focus and Fiesta is not capable of handling the torque the ST will spit out Ford does indeed have dual clutch transmissions that can take it. The Powershift in the standard Focus is a dry-clutch system, but Ford's wet-clutch transmissions can take considerably more torque.

It is possible for Ford to put a dual-clutch in the ST. The question is, will they? Jost did seem to say that it wouldn't be getting it, but I still hold on to hope. Seems my best other option is the Golf GTI/R if I want a dual-clutch in a performance-hatch.

As to the 3-door, what particular reason do you have for liking it over the 5 door out of interest? I have always wondered this.

Posted via FF Mobile Unfortunatly something with the wet system is that it needs to be serviced frequently, and its not cheap. One fall of the VWs.

Idk about the guy you quoted but for me besides the three door looking better they are most often lighter, some people do rear seat deletes and for me, i like that the windows are larger and make it super easy to see out the sides. In my focus theres no b pillar blocking my view in my bros sedan there is.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #375
CheeseEater88
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 72152
What I Drive: 2002, Black, Zetec Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 CheeseEater88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Unfortunatly something with the wet system is that it needs to be serviced frequently, and its not cheap. One fall of the VWs.

Idk about the guy you quoted but for me besides the three door looking better they are most often lighter, some people do rear seat deletes and for me, i like that the windows are larger and make it super easy to see out the sides. In my focus theres no b pillar blocking my view in my bros sedan there is.
hey now, and he did talk about the wet version of the DSG that they have in Europe on the diesels and such... which is not what we want... see VWs maintance costs....

IIRC every 40K miles the tranny filter needs to be changed...
the dry setup is much nicer in that regaurd

O and if its on the topic of 3 vs 5 doors... I have 4 2 doors on the drive way, my 3 door, and a SUV and a colbalt. I heart 2 doors...

there is not much lost from going from a 3 to 5 door for me.... though... I hate those B-pillars...

I drive possibly one of Fords best looking 3 door hatch that was ever released in the USA(so far). It also drives better than it looks. Just lacks power.

I also like the fact that I could sleep in the hatch... I fit with the seats down. without contorting myself..

I will admit that the 3 doors look sexier...
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #376
red2009se

Fan#: 79513
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 red2009se Good Standing Member
ln EUR, 5 doors are the norm and they don't have silly hang ups about them.

3 door ST would need sales support from plain versions, which the general public doesnt want. Old ZX3 resale is not good compared to sedans.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #377
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 9,016, Level 63
Points: 9,016, Level: 63 Points: 9,016, Level: 63 Points: 9,016, Level: 63
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
for a country that had to settle for this ST version (a freaking sedan to boot)

and now Ford is offering you this in its place

need to step back and realize the huge jump in caliber this next ST offers

I would have thought anyone in the Americas that have an inkling to own a fast Ford would be sending there
thanks to Ford HQ for finally stopping the insanity of treating one of the largest automobile markets as it has in the past
in such an insulting fashion it was hard to watch from afar.

Hopefully when some of the whiners can get to see, touch and drive this globally respected Focus ST you will get a reality check and appreciate
what you all been missing.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #378
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
mainly because a 3-door hatch looks SOOOO much better. the lines flow smoother. rear seat delete for HUGE cargo capacity. when the front seat is leaned back your head isn't next to the B pillar like with a 4-door/sedan. i never had issues with people in the back. my parents sit in the rear of my SVTF easily enough. 3-door screams "Tuner/boy racer". 5-door screams "i have kids now and i can't have fun now".

this is the performance version, we deserve a performance LOOK along with the performance power.
Speak for yourself. All sorts of fun can be had with the five door and I'm looking forward to it. Baby seat and all.

BTW is this what you think the current ST sedan owners think too?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #379
mmmoose
Bunneh Fanatic

Fan#: 39963
What I Drive: 2008 United Gray VW Rabbit

FF Reputation: 9 mmmoose Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
for a country that had to settle for this ST version (a freaking sedan to boot)

and now Ford is offering you this in its place

need to step back and realize the huge jump in caliber this next ST offers

I would have thought anyone in the Americas that have an inkling to own a fast Ford would be sending there
thanks to Ford HQ for finally stopping the insanity of treating one of the largest automobile markets as it has in the past
in such an insulting fashion it was hard to watch from afar.

Hopefully when some of the whiners can get to see, touch and drive this globally respected Focus ST you will get a reality check and appreciate
what you all been missing.
Just a slight correction here...

Nobody is saying that the new Focus ST is a complete POS. They're so critical about it because they LOVE the old Focus and want to see it become better. We tend to be more emotional about the things we love, especially when the thing we love is getting messed with. So let's not get confused with that versus mindless bashing.

Most of us want the new performance-based Focus to be an affordable AND fast car like the original SVT and ST (US version) were. But at the same time we also knew that Ford would be stepping it up a few notches by offering more luxury features with the return of the European design. So it'll be a bittersweet transition for some of us who were used to the older concepts.

Honestly the only saving grace FoMoCo of America has right now is the fact that the Fiesta is now available in the US, which essentially takes the place of the old Focus. It's going to take a while to adjust, but I think that's what it all boils down to. Most people on here are really waiting for the Fiesta ST. The 2012 Focus is simply a whole new beast (in the US market) altogether.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #380
Tbones00SE
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9982
What I Drive: 2000 Toreador Red SE

Points 1,367, Level 20
Points: 1,367, Level: 20 Points: 1,367, Level: 20 Points: 1,367, Level: 20
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 10 Tbones00SE Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBlue83 View Post
mainly because a 3-door hatch looks SOOOO much better. the lines flow smoother. rear seat delete for HUGE cargo capacity. when the front seat is leaned back your head isn't next to the B pillar like with a 4-door/sedan. i never had issues with people in the back. my parents sit in the rear of my SVTF easily enough. 3-door screams "Tuner/boy racer". 5-door screams "i have kids now and i can't have fun now".

this is the performance version, we deserve a performance LOOK along with the performance power.
Like red2009se said, the only reason you have a 3 door SVTF is because there was a ZX3. If there were only ZX5s you would have only been able to get the 5 door SVTF.

The whole point of Ford doing the Focus as a world car again is the commonality of parts that the strategy brings. It would make no sense for Ford to do a 3 door performance version without the equivalent regular production model to go with it. The limited numbers of STs that would be sold compared to the production models just don't make it very cost effective.

The only difference would be if the RS gets greenlighted. They would probably do a 3 door for that because you're talking about very limited production run on a car that will carry a high premium price.
Zetec Crew #73
ATX Faction #24
Mods: Volant CAI, 65mm TB, CFM Lower Mount, VF Passenger Mount, SVT Header, SVT Cat, SVT Flex, and Trubendz 2.5" exhaust, Roush Suspension, Tune and CarPC.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.