High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 35 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #341
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
^^^ lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #342
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Haha, mbell pwnd again...

Posted via FF Mobile Im not trying pwn anyone, that comment was meant for all the people still hung up on the previous generation Focus RS. There are still people complaining about us not getting it and for some ridiculous irrational reason think Ford sent us the ST instead of the RS. I dont live in the past, its now the age of the Mkiii Focus and this ST is the FIRST performance focus based on this platform. I look forward to seeing the Mkiii RS in three years or so, i know itll be amazing and i hope we get it.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #343
CheeseEater88
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 72152
What I Drive: 2002, Black, Zetec Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 CheeseEater88 Good Standing Member
I know this is purely speculation... but will there be a future RS? Words like "range-topping" disprove any hope of an RS.

but I'd like to see an ST with a mechanical diff like the Torsen/qualfie. (something not listed on the performance rundown)

The words revo knuckle also failed to appear.

I am for anything that improves traction and lessens torque steer without electronic brake manipulation. See 2009 Focus RS MkII.

I do understand that the limit is a 2.0L (Volvo is gone... byebye the 5 pot)

as this is pre-production. I hope they change the following.

Bump up the total output to 270bhp. (could be done with a tune, and some minor adjustments)

Loose the tinted tail lights. (I like the wrap-arounds.. don't like tint though)

add revoknuckle, add a torsen or qualfie diff

loose the 19" tires for a cheeper set of 18"s...

change the rear suspension, switch to modified mcpherson or something of that nature... the blade is practacally a cop out... (until I hear/ am proven other wise)

and offer performance packages. ie "Ford racing turbo upgrade kit" somethign along those lines... and make it carb legal...

despite all of my wants and complants... I will be looking forward to owning one of these little cars, come this time next year.

The interior sells me on this. I think I could get used to driving one pretty quickly... despite the gaudyness of the front end.

I just hope that they improve what they have listed for the drivetrain, I could also use a double overdrive :)...
Old 10-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #344
mbell75
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79288
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 mbell75 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Oooh, you mean that one thats discontinued and based off of the Mkii focus and is a billion years old and already old news and outdated...oh, that one.
No genius, this one, the NEW one. You do own a computer and have the internet right? Guess you missed this for the last year? Actually, I would take the original RS out here as well..

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
Old 10-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #345
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
No genius, this one, the NEW one. You do own a computer and have the internet right? Guess you missed this for the last year? Actually, I would take the original RS out here as well..

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html
See you are really missing something. This Rs, specifically the RS500 you put the link to is the RS from the Mkii focus. The last RS focus rolled off the line months ago and the Rs500 was sold out in less then two days after its release. It is old news because the third generation focus is right around the corner. Thus the RS is the previous generation Focus RS. Yes in my post before I exaggerated alittle bit but this is because Im tired of people going on and on about the second generation focus rs. If you think Ford should bring us the outdated second generation focus platform instead of including the US in their global marketing stradegy and bring us the all new upscale Mkiii focus, all because you and others want a focus RS to cometo the states which 99% of the people wouldnt be able to buy anyway, write a letter to Ford. I for one would rather ford to keep doing what they are doing because i dont want to see the focus community get shafted again.

Anyway, as far as what the ST is coming with, I dont see anything wrong with the focus control blade rear suspension, its a great suspension and idk why its a cop out. As far as LSD, i think this is not being included because besides driving up the price the focus, even the standard one is coming with Fords torque vectoring technology. Granted it works by applying brake pressure to each wheel, which is what you said you rather not have, but supposedly its tuned well for the focus, and on the ST im sure they went even further with the system. Im no engineer, but maybe Ford has developed it enough that its better then an LSD, not to mention saving weight and slight powerloss. We shall see, and hold off our criticisms about the tech until we see it all in action and the jornalists put these cars through their paces. Btw I too wished to see revo knucle on the ST, but that probably would drve up the price, or maybe its there and they just didnt mention it. The ST is a year and a half away at least...lots can change.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #346
mbell75
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
See you are really missing something. This Rs, specifically the RS500 you put the link to is the RS from the Mkii focus. The last RS focus rolled off the line months ago and the Rs500 was sold out in less then two days after its release. It is old news because the third generation focus is right around the corner. Thus the RS is the previous generation Focus RS.
Ok, understood. Let me rephrase then. Yes, I would like the version of the RS from Europe, which just ended production, here in the US. I would MUCH prefer that to this 4 door wagon, Mazda 3 looking things they are bringing here as the Focus ST. I want a lightweight 2 door hatchback with around 280-300hp with no torque limiter that cuts fuel at 5500rpm as the new ST is sure to have as does the Mazdaspeed 3.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #347
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Ok, understood. Let me rephrase then. Yes, I would like the version of the RS from Europe, which just ended production, here in the US. I would MUCH prefer that to this 4 door wagon, Mazda 3 looking things they are bringing here as the Focus ST. I want a lightweight 2 door hatchback with around 280-300hp with no torque limiter that cuts fuel at 5500rpm as the new ST is sure to have as does the Mazdaspeed 3.
Problem: we never got the mkII Focus in any trim.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #348
mbell75
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibooya View Post
Problem: we never got the mkII Focus in any trim.

Right and its sad. Still have no clue why Ford never did this given the pretty good success of other hot hatches in the US. Europe would kill for the Mustang, so I guess we cant have them all. However, with so many companies trying to "go green", you would think a turbo'd 2.0L hatch would be much more eco friendly than the 5.0L V8 Mustang...
Old 10-08-2010, 06:54 PM   #349
Malibooya
Quarter Tank Racer

Fan#: 68054
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Malibooya Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Right and its sad. Still have no clue why Ford never did this given the pretty good success of other hot hatches in the US. Europe would kill for the Mustang, so I guess we cant have them all. However, with so many companies trying to "go green", you would think a turbo'd 2.0L hatch would be much more eco friendly than the 5.0L V8 Mustang...
Europe DOES have the Mustang. And the Camaro. Well, at least the UK does.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #350
CheeseEater88
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 72152
What I Drive: 2002, Black, Zetec Cougar

FF Reputation: 1 CheeseEater88 Good Standing Member
Quote:

Anyway, as far as what the ST is coming with, I dont see anything wrong with the focus control blade rear suspension, its a great suspension and idk why its a cop out. As far as LSD, i think this is not being included because besides driving up the price the focus, even the standard one is coming with Fords torque vectoring technology. Granted it works by applying brake pressure to each wheel, which is what you said you rather not have, but supposedly its tuned well for the focus, and on the ST im sure they went even further with the system. Im no engineer, but maybe Ford has developed it enough that its better then an LSD, not to mention saving weight and slight powerloss. We shall see, and hold off our criticisms about the tech until we see it all in action and the jornalists put these cars through their paces. Btw I too wished to see revo knucle on the ST, but that probably would drve up the price, or maybe its there and they just didnt mention it. The ST is a year and a half away at least...lots can change.

Posted via FF Mobile

It's about a year away, but thats if everything goes according to plan... sorry just nit picking...

but anyway... while I agree that the '09 focus that I own handles pretty well... I'll have to say its not better than my cougar... while ones a 2.0 duratec and one is a 2.0 zetec.

I believe there are several mechanical advantages to the mcphersons over the blade... I have noticable passive steering in the cougar... not the focus... and I grip like its on rails on the cougar all with stock 15"s and 85K mile tires and factory original suspension.

but maybe I am just stuck fantasizing about sport yellow konis.

I guess if it works it works...

The problem I have with the torque vectoring... its just traction control under the guise of another name. I can see heavy foot owners burning through breaks like no tomorrow

I have in my cougar a torsen. I can attest to its awesomeness. It works, not some of the time... its always working... downside is real slick conditions... where there is not enough traction on any wheel to set the bias...

and for those that don't know... the T-2 Torsen will send upto 80% of the torque to the wheel that spins the slowest.... thus it gives you optimum traction whenever it can. The Qualfie is the same difference.

These types of differentials were featured in both the MKI and Mark II RS's...

as far as cost... I will agree... on weight... about 5 lbs... on drivetrain loss: negating the extra rotational mass... I say its a wash... I don't/didn't notice a drag...

As for the revo knuckle... that cost should be neglegable... it uses nearly all the same componets but the actual dimensions and pivot points are changed.
though re-designing it for the mkIII would be costly... but cost effective.

I want them to make this into a 5-door poor mans super/luxery car.

there is no need to release an RS if they do this right. the new 2.0L is what they have to work with. I do want them to push it to 270bhp... it could happen...

I think ford should take everything they have that works well for them and throw it into this car.

the knowhow is out there.

besides what I have existing in my rant. I believe that the rumored battery hybrid would be an awesome car... probably the only thing out there that will change my mind about buying the ST.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->