High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 128 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #1271
gold_zx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 26015
What I Drive: 2005 Black WRX Sport Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 gold_zx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I like what I'm hearing so far! Maybe the ST will get me back into a blue oval...we shall see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #1272
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

Points 4,456, Level 42
Points: 4,456, Level: 42 Points: 4,456, Level: 42 Points: 4,456, Level: 42
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight View Post
Just spent some time with the ST on the Dearborn test track (along with a 2013 stang 5.0, elec focus, hybrid fusion, Taurus SHO, etc...). I can honestly say that my mind was blown into the back window. I didn't think that an 80 hp increase from the base Focus would be such an incredible difference! From a rolling start at 20mph we got up to 70 in 2nd gear and couldn't have taken more than 4 secs. This car has power to spare! One of the best parts is the way they've tuned the exhaust note. In the cockpit it seriously sounds as good as a V8. The entire time I was just yelling "son of a bitch!" because I'm so pissed that I didn't wait for this thing to come out before purchasing my Focus Ti. My only hope now is Roush coming out with that supercharger.

Here's the real kicker, not only was the Focus more fun than the 5.0 Stang, but both me and my passenger think the ST is on par or faster than it. So if you're even remotely considering this car, WAIT FOR IT TO COME OUT YOU WANKER!
I cannot wait to drive the ST later this month. The more I ear about it, the more I fall in love with it.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #1273
suterp
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 83384
What I Drive: 2013 red focus SE 5 speed

FF Reputation: 1 suterp Good Standing Member
Good review, I'm a big fan of the ST, but if you think it's faster than a '13 mustang 5.0 your butt dyno needs recalibration lol. Glad to hear it feels powerful tho.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #1274
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
Let's see if the ST can run in the 13s before we get too amped up for it and there's no way it'll even touch a stock GT.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #1275
Djzx3
WRX/Focus:)

Fan#: 76864
What I Drive: 04 WRB WRX / 00 se zxw

FF Reputation: 33 Djzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
http://social.ford.com/our-articles/...0119&zip=06716

I'll just place this here.
HN #17
D23 crew-#1
Old 06-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #1276
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 20,796, Level 90
Points: 20,796, Level: 90 Points: 20,796, Level: 90 Points: 20,796, Level: 90
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Ford Canada should remove the images of the the 2 coloured Recaro's as these are
not available in Canada. I am sure the marketing people would be clueless to this
mistake, but this will only cause confusion and frustration for the Canadian consumers.
See, now we're going to have a problem.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #1277
rexster
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85155
What I Drive: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT

FF Reputation: 1 rexster Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack View Post
I do believe that on the track, it will be able to handle much better than the WRX. And, while the ST has less peak horsepower (13hp less), it does have more torque (26 lb-fts), and it has a very flat torque curve. In fact, for most rpms, the Focus ST is laying down more power and torque than the WRX. There's just a small area where for just a few rpms, the WRX hits a higher horsepower number before dropping.
I'm going to have to call BS. Got any dyno sheets of the two cars on the same dyno to back this up? The late model WRXs with the vf52 tend to dyno around 240 wheel horsepower stock. They actually dyno very similarly to the STI which is rated at 300 hp.

As far as the ST handling better, I guess that depends on what you mean. Do you think it's going to be faster on a track? Maybe, but if so not by much. Here's the latest lightning lap test results:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

The Masdaspeed 3 is slightly faster than a stock 2011 wrx sedan (line 91). The Chevy Cobalt SS is actually the front wheel drive champ to beat. So, we'll see. What the test results don't show is that the WRX in stock form understeers madly. The STi does much better stock mostly from the better diff and slight suspension tweaks, but both cars can be vastly improved over stock form. The Cobalt SS is much better tuned from the factory, I imagine there's not much you can do to improve the already fantastic handling. I'm hoping the ST also has excellent stock handling. We shall see...
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #1278
MacAttack
Focus Addict

Fan#: 79365
What I Drive: 2000 Dark Green SE

Points 4,456, Level 42
Points: 4,456, Level: 42 Points: 4,456, Level: 42 Points: 4,456, Level: 42
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 MacAttack Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster View Post
I'm going to have to call BS. Got any dyno sheets of the two cars on the same dyno to back this up? The late model WRXs with the vf52 tend to dyno around 240 wheel horsepower stock. They actually dyno very similarly to the STI which is rated at 300 hp.

As far as the ST handling better, I guess that depends on what you mean. Do you think it's going to be faster on a track? Maybe, but if so not by much. Here's the latest lightning lap test results:

The Masdaspeed 3 is slightly faster than a stock 2011 wrx sedan (line 91). The Chevy Cobalt SS is actually the front wheel drive champ to beat. So, we'll see. What the test results don't show is that the WRX in stock form understeers madly. The STi does much better stock mostly from the better diff and slight suspension tweaks, but both cars can be vastly improved over stock form. The Cobalt SS is much better tuned from the factory, I imagine there's not much you can do to improve the already fantastic handling. I'm hoping the ST also has excellent stock handling. We shall see...
A leaked spec sheet showed the Focus ST torque and HP curve. Also, the official numbers, from Ford are peak HP: 252 peak torque: 270.

Of course there's nothing with them on the same dyne yet. But, Subaru has also made their power curve available in their brochure. You can plainly see the Focus has more HP at lower RPMs, only having less when the WRX hits peak HP. Meanwhile, the flat torque curve of the ST has the Focus with higher torque at nearly any RPM.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #1279
ST Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98473
What I Drive: 2004 Mercury Marauder

FF Reputation: 1 ST Focus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexster View Post

I have been doing a lot of research with the ST. Now I am getting old and dont recall every thing, but on Facebook (ST site) or somewhere, Ford mentioned that Ecoboost set up, came on strong and stayed there. They went over some HP/TQ stuff. Down side is I know little about turbos, but from what Ford said the turbo and parts were tuned to hit a set HP/TQ and stay in that area. It sounded like they made a 300 HP/ 325 TQ vehicle and then detuned it for a few reasons to where it makes set power longer vs a peak and then just drop.

Time will tell, but Ford says it will hold the power band. I think tuners might make this car a monster and hope Ford beefed up the Ecoboosts well. As of now the ST seems like the best buy.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #1280
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

Points 4,098, Level 40
Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40 Points: 4,098, Level: 40
Level Up 74% Completed
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The only problem is I wish it was AWD since more and more power through the front wheels is a torque steer nightmare especially coming out of corners on a track. My Type R was laying down about 210 to the wheels and it was a handful.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.