High Performance 2012 Ford Focus ST - Page 105 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #1041
Robs03svt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25309
What I Drive: 2003 turbo comp orange svt focus

FF Reputation: 2 Robs03svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Evo/STI vs. Focus ST? Talk about apples and oranges.

Sure, either of those would smoke a ST but the feel is completely different.

I am strongly considering a ST whereas I wouldn't give an Evo or STI a second thought (it has nothing to do with $$$).
As I stated previously, the ST is the wrong car for those who worry about about numbers (HP, 0-60, etc.) or which BOV to install.

I hope you are right about the high price (to keep the kiddies away) but I would guess that the starting price will be closer to $26K.

^^this

When it comes out we will see who truly wants a turbo ford from the factory true fans who want this car will get it no matter what. I dont remember the SHO guys complaining this much when the new SHO came out they werent compare old sho prices to the new one. The people that really wanted a new turbo awd sho went out and bought period. I plan on buy the st with the st3 package weather it be 25k or 30k i dont care ive been lusting for a turbo factory focus since i bought my svt brand new with euro comp orange which was stickered at 23k did i pay that no... i walked out the door with it for 20k. I remember when that package came out people complained bout the pricing out that car and package. I just want a turbo focus from factory i fell in love at first site with the mk1 and got worst when i got stationed over there and got to drive one. So i will sit here and wait 25k or 30k i will have one in my driveway when it comes out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #1042
apagios
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40891
What I Drive: '03 ZX5 SVT, '05 Mazdaspeed Miata

Points 867, Level 15
Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15 Points: 867, Level: 15
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 apagios Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus View Post

Oh and MacAttack left out one other stat that the Auto Express magazine article listed. They SPECULATE 37 mpg! I think that's an optimistic estimate, and I believe Euro mpg estimates are generally a bit higher than our EPA estimates. But that sure is encouraging!
Was that combined or HWY? And did they specifiy 37 mpg US?

Basically I am asking because if it is the combined number, autoexpress is a UK magazine right?

MPG's in UK are based on a craptastic unit of measure called and "Imperial Gallon" which is 1.20095 of our US gallons.

so 37/1.20095 = 30.8 mpg (us gallons) which seems like it could be a combined MPG rating?

I was literally just explaining this imperial gallon crap to a friend who couldn't believe Mazda might squeek 50-52 mpg (US) hwy out of a diesel CX-5. I pointed out that the US public is pretty ignorant about the efficiency of the small diesels that have been in use in Europe for years. My example was Fords TDCI in the Fiesta in the UK:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/ford/fiest...-tdci-titanium

"An Econetic 1.6-litre diesel arrives later this year, whose lower suspension, smaller tyres, flush wheel covers and particulate filter help it deliver 76.3mpg "

76.3 mpg (imperial) = 63.5 mpg US!

And I don't know the specifics of the European efficiency rating driving cycles, but I am pretty sure they are a little "easier" then the EPA testing, so EPA MPG numbers tend to be a little less even after the imperial gallon crap.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #1043
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 10,518, Level 68
Points: 10,518, Level: 68 Points: 10,518, Level: 68 Points: 10,518, Level: 68
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 59 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
New ST for Robs03svt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robs03svt View Post
^^this

I just want a turbo focus from factory i fell in love at first site with the mk1 and got worst when i got stationed over there and got to drive one. So i will sit here and wait 25k or 30k i will have one in my driveway when it comes out
Nothing wrong w/ that! ^^^^ This guy want's to buy the new ST.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #1044
Optimus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91904
What I Drive: 1997 Nissan Maxima

FF Reputation: 1 Optimus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by apagios View Post
Was that combined or HWY? And did they specifiy 37 mpg US?

It just said 37mpg (est.). I tried to emphasize that it is a magazine estimate, so we really don't know if it holds any merit. And thanks for clarifying the imperial gallon. I know that Euro mpg estimates are always higher, I never looked into the reason. That makes complete sense.

Either way, the current GTI gets 21/31 mpg. That's tough to beat. But it would certainly be nice if the Focus had better gas mileage and more power!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #1045
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
I hope you are right about the high price (to keep the kiddies away) but I would guess that the starting price will be closer to $26K.
Here's the problem with pricing it out of the "kiddies" price range: Kiddies are most likely the primary targeted demographic. Without this demographic the car probably won't sell very well which could mean a very short production run for the ST before it's sale is discontinued in the states.

Why do I think pricing it out of "kiddies" price range would significantly hurt cars? The older crowd likes muscle cars and luxury cars. The hot hatch segment is still primarily targeted at youth. The older crowd that wants something fast is going to go for something like the Mustang GT/Camaro SS/Dodge Challenger R/T. The older crowd that wants something quick, comfortable and practical is going to go for the A3, G series, Acura ILX, or possible Cadillac ATS (all start at or just above 30k). This leaves only the enthusiast crowd of older people which are few in numbers.

To conclude, the kiddies are the primary market for this car. We want the kiddies to be able to buy it so that it's successful and we continue to get an ST in the future.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #1046
Robs03svt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25309
What I Drive: 2003 turbo comp orange svt focus

FF Reputation: 2 Robs03svt Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
Nothing wrong w/ that! ^^^^ This guy want's to buy the new ST.
indeed
Old 02-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #1047
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,770, Level 38
Points: 3,770, Level: 38 Points: 3,770, Level: 38 Points: 3,770, Level: 38
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpork View Post
Here's the problem with pricing it out of the "kiddies" price range: Kiddies are most likely the primary targeted demographic. Without this demographic the car probably won't sell very well which could mean a very short production run for the ST before it's sale is discontinued in the states.
IMO, the GTI is by far the closest competitor to the ST (comfortable, refined, balanced, "euro-feel", enjoyable to drive in all conditions, not about straight line speed).

I would imagine that many GTI buyers are 25 and older.

Hopefully the 300HP Dart SRT-4 will materialize for those only interested in going fast in a straight line.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #1048
phocusphreak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 36424
What I Drive: R.I.P-01SPI&02SVT;^ 08DRTC & 03 SPI

FF Reputation: 3 phocusphreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpork View Post

Why do I think pricing it out of "kiddies" price range would significantly hurt cars? The older crowd likes muscle cars and luxury cars. The hot hatch segment is still primarily targeted at youth. The older crowd that wants something fast is going to go for something like the Mustang GT/Camaro SS/Dodge Challenger R/T. The older crowd that wants something quick, comfortable and practical is going to go for the A3, G series, Acura ILX, or possible Cadillac ATS (all start at or just above 30k). This leaves only the enthusiast crowd of older people which are few in numbers.

To conclude, the kiddies are the primary market for this car. We want the kiddies to be able to buy it so that it's successful and we continue to get an ST in the future.
couldnt agree more! and lets still all remember most of the country is broke haha. if ford wants to make successful sales and for our sakes keep a stock turbod fofo leaving their factory the price will stay reasonable. i can see it going for 20 k basic stance.

i caaaaaan't wait =D
Old 02-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #1049
DetergentCandy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 94763
What I Drive: 2005 Stone White SRT-4

FF Reputation: 1 DetergentCandy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by phocusphreak View Post
i can see it going for 20 k basic stance.
Really? When a base Focus is $18K?
O.o
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #1050
DarkSpork
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81461
What I Drive: 2013 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 1 DarkSpork Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetergentCandy View Post
Really? When a base Focus is $18K?
O.o
I was thinking the same. Civic Si doesn't even start that low.

Bookmarks & Social Networks