Alternator Replacement 05 ZX4 ST - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
nmoyer23
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78557
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 nmoyer23 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Alternator Replacement 05 ZX4 ST

Hey everyone,

Was on my way to class this morning and the traction light and abs light came on and stayed solid. Then the airbag and brake light came on and i lost some power to the engine. Then all the electrical components shut off but the car still drove. Couldn't restart it then after about 10 minutes it started back up and its been fine since. The wipers are slow, windows, and locks are slow too. Probably because the alternator isnt charging the batter.

Just bought a 2005 zx4 st and the alternator does not work. I am reading a constant 11.75 voltage with the car on and off. When i turn on any accessories, the voltage drops and stays lower. Lights on = 11.25 voltage. I probably have to replace the alternator. I searched the forums and could not find a write up on how to remove the alternator for the st 2.3. Also, would I have to remove the serpentine belt or just apply some tension to the pulley(where is it located) Any ideas?

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
nmoyer23
Focus Rookie

Posted via FF MobileHelp ASAP would be greatly appreciated because my car won't start and I need it to go to classes and work. I have an alternator ordered with a 3 year warranty and plan on doing it myself.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
nmoyer23
Focus Rookie

help

i really need help on this. I bought the alternator and serpentine belt and really need some type of diagram on how to replace the alternator and serpentine belt.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
LJGoose
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75466
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE Black

FF Reputation: 1 LJGoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Have not had to do an Alternator on these cars yet but take a look at the AZ site until someone else chimes in.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...96b43f802e8009

Also search is your friend.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
nmoyer23
Focus Rookie

Ok, got the alternator out. what a pain in the ass that was. I took the coolant tank resevoir off, power steering and a ground cable. Got the 3 bolts off the alternator braket and the plastic heat shroud. I then removed the 3 bolts connected to the passenger side engine mount and removed the air intake tube from the throttle body. I jacked up the engine with a brick and jack under the oil pan to give it some leverage. I had a helper pull the engine back while i shimmied the alternator out from underneath the car between the axel and something else (whatever is after the axel). it finally came out! coming up top there was too many pipes in the way i didnt know how to remove or move them out of the way. I gotta tell you theres zero room for this huge alternator to come out of and its definitely a TEN on a 1-10 scale in terms of difficulty. Its a 2 man crew job and a good amount of time. If anyone knows how to shorten this procedure please enlighten me because i have to put the new alternator in. Also the haynes manual said to remove the bolt attached to the anti roll mount under the air intake. I have no idea where that is!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #6
petes05st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58867
What I Drive: Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 petes05st Good Standing Member
Ok a quick rundown on how i did mine......Pulled torque mount and pass side eng mount supported motor of course. disconnected wiring to alt, removed nuts and bolt also removed both top studs that go into the head, female torx e25 maybe. and dropped that sob out the bottom.....not that easy when i struggled with trying to go out the top as suggested by book..?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
kris4christ2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59197
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 4 kris4christ2 Good Standing Member
I have an 05 zx4 SE, and I did mine last year exactly the same way as you both did, from the BOTTOM and with a second person. Haynes manuals suck... but, I believe it's impossible from the top. (I'm pretty much just repeating the info above, but was not done in this particular order.) From what I remember, I removed the tire and whatever plastic shielding was there to get to the pulleys. Moved the coolant & ps reservoirs just to get room to hold it from the top. I loosened the tension a bit, didn't remove belt. Removed the pass. side engine mounts to lift the engine, and squeezed that sucker against the axle and whatever else that other bar/piece is.. Don't believe I bothered with the anti roll mount.

It took forever trying to get it out, but it actually went back in within like 10-15 min. There was only One certain way it managed to get in, but of course I was not in the mood to try taking it out and retrying just for a pic.. The only advice I can give you is just rotate the ALT. in different directions and try getting it back in at different angles. You'll get it eventually. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Might be a good time to replace your serpentine belt as well since you will have it off anyways. But that also depends on how many miles you have on the car.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
Might be a good time to replace your serpentine belt as well since you will have it off anyways. But that also depends on how many miles you have on the car.
He did that, he was asking us where the tensioner was to loosen it. It's underneath, but that's been covered.

My car doesn't have a belt routing diagram on a sticker under the hood, so I hope you paid attention to the belt routing before you removed it. It might be in the owner's manual, but I'm not sure of that. The Haynes manual should have it also.

Without a manual, and no sticker on the Windstar, I had to draw it out before removing it- LOL. I guess Haynes manuals would be good for that much, but I agree that their removal advice is lacking a lot. If those MF's actually removed something as they claim, don't you think they could tell you what sockets, extensions, etc were needed or used?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #10
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
He did that, he was asking us where the tensioner was to loosen it. It's underneath, but that's been covered.

My car doesn't have a belt routing diagram on a sticker under the hood, so I hope you paid attention to the belt routing before you removed it. It might be in the owner's manual, but I'm not sure of that. The Haynes manual should have it also.

Without a manual, and no sticker on the Windstar, I had to draw it out before removing it- LOL. I guess Haynes manuals would be good for that much, but I agree that their removal advice is lacking a lot. If those MF's actually removed something as they claim, don't you think they could tell you what sockets, extensions, etc were needed or used?
Whoops! I failed on reading past the original post lol. Most of the time I just read the first post and go from there. But I just read everything and saw where he said he bought a new belt.

Bookmarks & Social Networks