project neverender (Turbo'd ATX SPI) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
focusrs501
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78511
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Lx Turbo

FF Reputation: 2 focusrs501 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
project neverender (Turbo'd ATX SPI)

Well good people of FF, i've been holding this post in for quite some time now, mostly because I've been hovering over y'all watching as member after member boasts about their turbo'd zetec/duratech; watching in pain as i sweat and bleed all over my poor little Split Port sedan.

Four months ago I got an outstanding job that required very little time to complete, leaving me with a burning pocket and the 3-year old pipe-dream of owning a turbo'd focus. Three years ago i knew nothing of 'transmission swaps', or 'piggy-back' tuning, so I started researching about a year ago into what it would take to boost my focus. Turns out..... a lot. lol

I won't say how much i've put into her because honestly even I don't know, i'd have to look over the past 6 months of receipts and emails. I know it's been quite some time since i was kicked out of my house by my supposed 'friends', fired from that high-paying job and forced to move home all because i was spending too much time working on the us; and to be brutally honest, i'm g elated. Never been happier. Don't need friends when you've got boost and a dream right? haha. well here she is:

As i said above, i've been nervous about the reaction i'll get on here, i used to be an avid member. I figured i'd wait til the project was in it's final stages, which is now. Tom and I are still tuning for peak power, right now i'm workin on getting a MAF i.a. I'll try to get more info up soon but for now i'm off to the freaggin' cider mill to meet with west coast relatives :(( .

Good to be back finally! better to be back and boosted lol.

Last edited by focusrs501; 09-12-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added interior shot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
FocusFreak09
Flat Black King

Fan#: 51243
What I Drive: 2001 Chevy Silverado

FF Reputation: 30 FocusFreak09 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Wow that looks good but then looks bad cause its so cluttered in there. I wanna see numbers and videos of everything when u get done.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Awesome work man! Thats a wicked looking snail in there. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

Internals? Did you replace anything? Including the valve seats?

How much boost?

When are you going to put some wheels and tires on to handle all that hp? lol
Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
cagedcbr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58822
What I Drive: '01 Oxford White Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 cagedcbr Good Standing Member
I hate seeing stuff like this, me> turbo spi, zetec swap, turbo spi, zetec swap???????
Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
^^What can I say? Some folks actually like doing things that others wouldn't even consider. When I had My 03 SE(ATX/SPI), this same thought crossed My mind, but as soon as I realized that components for this project were generally out of My reach, I gave up.

All said, it ain't pretty. Function>Form plays strongly here. I would like to see some #s as well. In any case, I like it, and I'm glad to see Someone with an SPI being stubborn enough to do this.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
focusrs501
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Awesome work man! Thats a wicked looking snail in there. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

Internals? Did you replace anything? Including the valve seats?

How much boost?

When are you going to put some wheels and tires on to handle all that hp? lol
Internals stock for now, like i said i'm coming from environmental science to this, and all the defined knowledge i do have on wrenching has come in the past six months from calling shops, heavy heavy HEAAVVY research and stalking this very forum for three years dreaming to start this project.

That being said, i decided to take after this latent passion, enrolled at a local vocational school and my first semester starts the 27th of this month. I'm making damn sure to take my automatic transmission and engine repair classes first thing next semester. POINT BEING - i'd like to be able to conduct the repairs/swaps myself, and the right way, no bullshit.

My boost barely ever touches 5 psi (spring rated for 7.2lbs, and rebuilt the wastegate last month), and I don't drive in boost often so i'm confident the head/top end components will hold fine at least through this winter. The trans pressure increase has been kept moderately low for now(1-2/15%2-3/20%3-4/15%), she was slipping from 2-3 somewhat before the turbo went in. if i didn't loose my income i'd have bought the lentech terminator kit or at least TC/new 2-3 solenoid. for now i'll pray the cooler puts in work.

And to the last comment - har har :) she's sleeping bro! lol. I'm well aware of how fugly she may be right now with the stocks but i'm going to need new tires before winter hits so i'm gradually surfing craigslist/ebay for cheap wheels, but i wanna stay skinny, no track yet plus i have a feeling this winter is gonna be quite wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller_1974 View Post
^^What can I say? Some folks actually like doing things that others wouldn't even consider. When I had My 03 SE(ATX/SPI), this same thought crossed My mind, but as soon as I realized that components for this project were generally out of My reach, I gave up.

All said, it ain't pretty. Function>Form plays strongly here. I would like to see some #s as well. In any case, I like it, and I'm glad to see Someone with an SPI being stubborn enough to do this.
Honestly i didn't know this was coming until after i completed the svt susp. install. Got hooked on spending hours in a garage, on top of countless hours online researching why i had to do the last part over and over again lol. Made soo many mistakes but learned so much in the process. Found a new passion and finally completed something in my life, at least mostly. Trust in the fact that if i had any idea what this would involve i'd have just sold it and bought a zetec.

The only reason i went ahead with the SPI turbo build was because i bought that pre-fabbed kit that ehancock had for sale about seix weeks ago. maybe longer i've lost track of time since. That "pre-fabbed" kit i bought needed to be re-fabbed in every way you could think of. PLUS the turbo was bad, and all but one part had bolts sheared off in them. i'd like to meet/talk to the guy who had this kit before hancock flipped it. numbers/videos will come shortly i promise, still tuning ATM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Where's Mike?

That thing is sick, great job!
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 09-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
focusrs501
Focus Rookie

forgot about this one.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bergner View Post
Where's Mike?

That thing is sick, great job!
I'm here.......wondering why I can't see the original first post. #1 is shown as FF's post saying something about it all being cluttered.

That sucks ehancock's turbo setup was screwed. I was almost gonna buy it too awhile back. glad you got it all setup and running though.

Cool to see an SPI being turbo'd.........

so you're all wondering what I'm thinking right? well. because I've driven certain other cars I can honestly say I'm not gonna F with my engine anymore, aside from fixing the exhaust leak at the head.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
The main reason I decided to do a Zetec swap over a DSM turbo setup on my SPI was emissions here in cali. At least with the Zetec I can do a pretty nice N/A build and still look legal if I'm pulled over.

Also just incase your interested I have my IB5 stuff up for sale. So if you wanted to do a 5 speed swap for cheap let me know.

Bookmarks & Social Networks