Cleaning throttle body - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Darthenstein
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63587
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES

Points 1,534, Level 22
Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Darthenstein Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Cleaning throttle body

Hey everyone,

2009 Focus SES 5spd 26,000 miles

I used to do on my old cars a procedure called cleaning the throttle body. I would spray some carb/throttle body cleaner directly onto the throttle body while the engine was running. This involved disassembling the air intake tube, disconnecting the MAF sensor so the car's computer would not stall the engine, and I could control the valve by pushing the spring with my thumb.

I have noticed that on my Focus I have the new drive-by-wire system, where the system is sealed and I can't really hold anything open, and I am a bit worried about opening it up myself.

Is there a way of doing this with drive-by-wire? Does it even need to be done? My car feels a little slower but it has gotten much colder out lately so that might be it.

Thank you very much!

Ford: Taurus ('91, 01) Focus ('09); Mercury: Sable ('95); Dodge: Neon ('95); Trek: 1000SL ('07) Yamaha: VStar 650 ('03)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
Usagi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64712
What I Drive: 2002 SY ZX5

FF Reputation: 4 Usagi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm not entirely sure it's necessary on these cars. The inside of the TB has some sort of coating on it behind the butterfly IIRC. Also, i remember that it may strip the coating off the inside of the TB if the wrong (or possibly any) solvent is used.

IF the DBW system is similar to a mustang's, you can just unbolt the servo motor for the DBW system and rotate the butterfly by manipulating the butterfly shaft by hand.

Obviously, doing this while the car is running is impossible and stupid, because the MAF can't read, and the car can't control the mix, and may not run at all.

In any case, unless you've never had an air filter on that car, at 26k it shouldn't be an issue to begin with.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
we are not supposed to spray cleaner on the throttle body on these cars. it will ruin the idle air control valve and remove the special coating on the throttle body. I believe ford has a certain procedure to clean the tb if it is neccesary. Mine has 67000 miles and is still fine so I wouldn't go messin with it personally.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
Darthenstein
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63587
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES

Points 1,534, Level 22
Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22 Points: 1,534, Level: 22
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 Darthenstein Good Standing Member
Sounds good...I did some looking around and they also said something about a special lining...also if I move the butterfly with my hands it can take a bit to relearn idle and all that fun stuff!

I had to do my Taurus quite frequently, as well as a bunch of the other guys...but that was pretty much a different car. Also, it is warmer out today and everything seems normal again so I guess that was it!

I'm glad I don't have to do it...it is kinda a PITA. Thank you!

Ford: Taurus ('91, 01) Focus ('09); Mercury: Sable ('95); Dodge: Neon ('95); Trek: 1000SL ('07) Yamaha: VStar 650 ('03)
Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
probably nothing wrong with your car I think all cars feel faster when they are new. At least they do to me. My focus seemed to be more spunky when new but, I think its just my imagination. Probably should start pickin on cars my own size. haha.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Kauai Guy
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Fan#: 58297
What I Drive: Car

Points 6,484, Level 52
Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52 Points: 6,484, Level: 52
Level Up 67% Completed
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 17 Kauai Guy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
So what would you use when you NEED to clean the throttle body? I just checked mine and there's a thick film of DIRT on the butterfly valve and a little on the sides.
Sedan Revolution #150 Hatch Nation #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Because I'm on a boat and I just had sex
Old 09-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #7
Usagi
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 64712
What I Drive: 2002 SY ZX5

FF Reputation: 4 Usagi Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What would I do?

If there's a THICK film of dirt on the throttle blade, i'd reckon something's up with your air filtration. Fix this FIRST. If it's the more likely situation (gasoline deposits and general engine-running gunk), skip this step.

Then, because that sounds like a lot of (very abrasive) dirt/organic material, i'd consider REMOVING the TB and cleaning it with a non-solvent cleaner and a soft brush.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.