New member, lots of questions - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Regional Forums > South West Fanatics > Fanatics: NorCal

Fanatics: NorCal Regional discussion Forum for planning events and sharing information with all Members in the Northern California area.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

Points 1,996, Level 26
Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
New member, lots of questions

Hello fellow fanatics,

I'm a recent addition to the Focus owner's club.

My car's a clean sheet as far as modifications go and I probably won't be making any until I get a job :)

My ride is a bare bones 2004 ZX3 PZEV (I think this was known as the comfort package, though I'm not sure) with a 5 speed manual transmission. It also does not have the audiophile package..I'm not too broken hearted about that.

I spent a lot of time cross shopping amongst a lot of budget sporty cars and nearly managed to buy two svt focii (only to be out bid at the last second). So I guess it wasn't to be.

The car I ended up with was a barely used commuter car for a lady who had a 7 mile round trip to work and back. In six years, the car only racked up 40,400 miles. However, the car does not come with ABS -- I was apprehensive about this but decided the low miles and reasonable price was worth forging ahead with, on the deal.

I put a lot of research into buying this car and I like the idea that it's a clean emissions vehicle and having the 2.3 liter with more torque than a stock SVT appealed to me. There also seems to be talk on this forum that it is an easily modifiable engine.

After reading the posts on FF, I came up with a few questions I hope you can answer.

1> Has anyone hard wired an FM modulator mod for an MP3 player? Is it difficult to do and where can the radio tool be bought to pull it out?

2> There is little to no information on the 2004 Focus ZX3 PZEV in terms of magazine articles, except for one from Autoweek.com -- anyone know where I can get some more info?

3> Would putting on a cold air intake from Cosworth/K&N (FIPK) affect the PZEV rating of the car? I like the fact that the motor is somewhat green and I would think that living in California would be a bit of a giveaway.

4> Where can I get a set of cheap 16" rims for the car? Mine came with 15" steel wheels and all season rubber.

5> Does anyone know if my car comes with a rear anti-roll bar? It clearly rolls a lot, especially through turns I know I can go more but am leery of doing so for possible lifting a wheel/flipping

6> If not, is it advisable to get an 21mm anti-roll bar aka SVTF bar with stock suspension and later add other handling goodies?

7> Since the car does not come with ABS, is it advisable for me to add a pair of rear disc brakes (I know a kit is available somewhere on the interweb). I really, really liked the braking that was on the SVTF.

8> Are there any local Ford dealers that are cool like Tousely or Hilbish, in California?

9> What is the typical mileage you see with your 2004 PZEV ZX3 5 speed? In the city and on highway separately.

As soon as I can think of some more question, I'll be sure to ask them. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
fociboy03
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64751
What I Drive: 02 Dtec 2.3 zx3 and 03 dtec 2.3 se

Points 4,589, Level 43
Points: 4,589, Level: 43 Points: 4,589, Level: 43 Points: 4,589, Level: 43
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 fociboy03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
ok i start by saying welcome fellow duratec owner. i have a 2002 zx3 with a 2,3l in it ill answer your questions as well as i can.
(1.) i havent put an fm modulator in mine since its just as easy to run wireless transmitter. or put in an aftermarket deck.
(2.) not sure but you can google the heck out of it or search this fourm and find plenty
(3.) it does ( i belive) change the rating due to the non serviceable air filter is what gives it the rating but the car still smogs no problem. i use the k&n and love it.
(4.)just paint them and run your tires out for now ( if your strapped for cash)
(5.and 6.) putting some lowering springs in and find a svt rear sway bar helps a lot also replace all the sway bar link bushings for some poly ones and put some duralast front sway links helps as well.
(7.)you can find the whole svt brake set up used for around 500 buck in most cases. i just did it and it rocks.
(8.)ford in petaluma always treats me good but same can be said for many but not all dealers.
(9.) i drive "spirited" and get 30mpg average. (i go over a twisty hill every day to and from work)
pm me if you have more questions. and again welcome and try to make it to our meets. you will love it.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
1badsvtwgn
factory but custom

Fan#: 65036
What I Drive: '13 ST2 Tangerine Scream

FF Reputation: 9 1badsvtwgn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
yes welcome to ff...gerald knows his duratecs so deff bug him for answers...you should try to make it to our meet next month
Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
Dung1sm
Atx PZEV FTW!

Fan#: 52323
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

Points 3,570, Level 37
Points: 3,570, Level: 37 Points: 3,570, Level: 37 Points: 3,570, Level: 37
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 4 Dung1sm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
welcome aboard.... now.. i dont have all the answers you seek, however, i do have an 05 zx4 2.0 pzev, gettting a CAI from k/n will remove the super restrictive stock intake and will bring your engine to life... (im not sure what else makes it a pzev besides the stock intake).. but i got the k/n fipk for my car and i love it... a bit pricey, but worth it if you ask me....i dont believe that alone will drop your rating if any... even if you got an exhaust (catback) i think youll still be smog legal, dont worry...
So Cal Crew#43
Sedan Revolution #130

Moderator for:
South West Fanatics
Ford Focus & General Car Chat
Ford Focus Build Showroom
Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)

What part of Nor Cal are you from?

I have a good relationship with the parts guy at Manteca Ford. He gives me good deals on OEM parts that I have to get from Ford. Toulsey and Hilbish have Focus guys working there, so that why they are so helpful to out community. Plus their Ford Racing Dealers, which I don't think there is any in Nor Cal.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
karmakc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78622
What I Drive: 2004 Ag ZX3 D23E MTX

Points 1,996, Level 26
Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 karmakc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hey Guys,

Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Before I make any modifications, I would definitely need two things:
a) A job aka spare cash
b) Detailed research and analysis of said modifications

I live on the central coast, in Santa Cruz but still consider myself a NorCal guy, as do most of us here in this town.

Where do you guys do your meet ups at? And where do you like to drive to? The hills near my house have great places to wring out cars, that is, if you like taking curves at higher than the suggested limit.

I'll most definitely be asking more questions!!

Last edited by karmakc; 09-16-2010 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Dude our meet is Hwy 1 to the beach board walk. You have to come. We are making our last meet up at Half Moon bay, so drive up and meet us then drive back down.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
MasterJedifocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62974
What I Drive: 2006 light taundra ZX4

FF Reputation: 2 MasterJedifocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Welcome to the forums! I'm sure you'll find most if not all your answers on here.
I remember when I first got my foci. The first thing I put on was a K&N cold intake.
Give it time (and a job).........eventually it will all come together.
Sedan Revolution #65

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.