Head gasket replacement - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I wouldn't bother starting it- whether you do or don't smell coolant in the exhaust isn't going to tell you anything without other signs to back it up. If you did have a bad head gasket which was putting coolant into the combustion chamber, then you would have coolant in the oil. If it isn't doing it yet, then it will very shortly.

Of course, if you don't find a leak, then you can start assuming other things. But I'd be very thorough, and I'd want to see more than one sign of a bad head gasket. Typically there is more than one sign.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #12
merkur
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 78072
What I Drive: 2002 white zx5

FF Reputation: 1 merkur Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok my friend from Mephis

I didn't get your response until now. so yes, i had started car tonight, seemed to run fine but still had misfire. didn't see any other leaks, coolant flange already replaced because it was leaking when I got the car. hoses seemed fine, was not leaking any coolant under hood today but maybe because coolant reservoir was very low. car did not run hot until a few minutes. checked oil, no coolant mix in oil. car seemed to have compression and ran fine except for misfiring but did start stumbling at the end. I did notice i have no heat, but maybe that's because low on coolant. i checked hoses to heater core as well, seem fine. radiator hoses also seem fine? still thinking not a head gasket out there??? tomorrow, i will pull spark plugs and take a look
Old 08-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #13
merkur
Focus Rookie

oh, btw, exhaust did not smell of coolant but before I shut off smelled of rotten eggs, I guess due to misfire and not running correctly affecting catalytic converter??
Old 08-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
SanduskySerpents
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78065
What I Drive: 02 Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 4 SanduskySerpents Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Do a compression check! See if you have even compression across the cylinders. You can buy one at autozone or advanced for about $25. Remove all spark plugs disconect coil pack pigtail and remove fuel pump relay/fuse. Screw the tester into piston one and give the car a crank. Some people say let it crank between 3-10 times (i do about 5). right down your results for each cylinder. Now if one is lower than the rest put a little bit oil in the cylinder and see if the compression improves if it does you have a whole new beast to tackle and thats piston rings.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #15
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97222
What I Drive: 2000,ZX3,Blue,3DR,Auto,2.0ZETEC16

FF Reputation: 1 CitizenPete Good Standing Member
Exclamation Help - this thread just died with out any conclusion?

And...??? what happened? what was the result? (I have the same problem ztec engine with coolant flooding the top of the motor in between the cams and appear to be coming up from the plugs(s). Discovered this while working on the car and holding the RPM to 4500 during a throttle cleaning. Something broke loose? Did I blow a gasket?

From the car I heard a loud gurgling and hissing sound. Previously before this I had changed the air filter and poured some seafoam down the intake throat butterfly at a steady 4500 RPM. Everything was fine, but because the air intake was off and the MAF was not attached the engine wouldn't idle. after I hooked the air intake back up to the throttle body and the wire to the MAF, I restarted the car to clear engine codes with a scan gauge II. That's when I heard the gurgling sound and I shut down the engine jumped out and we stood there looking at a pint of fluid on the top of the engine between the cams and there was air hissing out from the plug tube(s).

ahhhh!

New thread started on related topic. See video.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...86#post4100886

Last edited by CitizenPete; 04-09-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: added link to NEW related thread.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #16
merkur
Focus Rookie

and.. to answer your question, the plastic coolant pipe on top of the radiator cracked. The seam broke which I understand is common. Not sure of who thought of making a pipe out of plastic where hot coolant runs through it, LOL. check that, that might be your issue. if it is, the plastic pipe is only about $18.00 Let us know

Jeff
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #17
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97222
What I Drive: 2000,ZX3,Blue,3DR,Auto,2.0ZETEC16

FF Reputation: 1 CitizenPete Good Standing Member
New thread started on related topic. See video and new posts.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...86#post4100886

Bookmarks & Social Networks