Key Stuck In Ignition - Dealer could not repeat. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
LJGoose
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75466
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SE Black

FF Reputation: 1 LJGoose Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Key Stuck In Ignition - Dealer could not repeat.

Okay here is the deal. Last night on my way to work I stop off at a gas station and go to take the key out and it will turn all the way but it stops at the last second and will not let me take the key out. Now I had this issue before and simply moved the shifter down to drive and back up to park and it released. Half the night I tried over and over again to get the key out but no avail. So I ended up leaving work early to get into the dealer nice and early to have them take a look at it along with my CEL (Ended up being bad cat that they have on order). Go out to my car and guess what? The key comes out.

So long story short I bring it into the dealer and it was working fine and they could not repeat the key getting stuck so they could not do anything for that. Is this something I should be worried about. I mean what I did at work was just left the key in the ignition and used the fob to lock the door. Could that harm anything or cause my battery to go dead?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
VIP Destiny
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 72416
What I Drive: 2000 Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 0 VIP Destiny Newbie
I cannot believe that I am responding because I am a rookie, but here goes.

Last year the key wouldn't turn in the ignition. It happened several times. Once I was in the parking lot after grocery shopping. My roadside assistance person told me to try to turn key and push on brake pedal at the same time. After several tries it worked. Once my car was sidelined as I waited for a new ignition with keys. Long story short, I have never used the new ignition.

I said a prayer, got in my car, inserted the key, banged the key into the ignition and voilą I'm back on the road again. A gentle bang with the palm of my hand.

I have learned to love my Focus and pray over it everyday. And I come to this site! Praise God for this site!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
yeah, praise god for this site...

i normally thank Tom

i suggest you have the cylinder replaced immediately! someday they key may not turn at all!! this has happend to people on here as well as myself. do a search for this subject and you will find numerous threads on it.

good luck
Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
He has the updated lock cylinder, it's an 05. Just in case, the way you can tell is by where the key goes into the lock cylinder- if the key hole is offset under the center of the lock cylinder (metal cylinder around the key hole) then you have the bad one, and it needs to be changed out. If the key hole is centered, then you have the updated version which typically does not cause a problem.

Now if you want to feel better about it, it will cost you somewhere under $100 to repair it yourself- it's not very difficult at all as long as the key will turn. The problem with the older locks was that the key would not turn- that required the cylinder to be drilled out to remove. Even if your key gets stuck in the lock cylinder- you can still have a locksmith remove it after you've taken the cylinder out of the car- so you're ok as long as you have a spare key.

I just checked Rock Auto and they want $75 for a MC lock cylinder. I'd google Tousley Ford, call them, and ask for Steve. He gives FF's a discount and it will likely be less than what RA wants for one. I've heard of prices around $60. After you get your lock cylinder, you want to take it and your key to a locksmith and pay them to key the cylinder to your key. This will cost $5-20. After that is done, changing the cylinder out is very easy. Remove the plastic covers over the console, insert the key into the lock cylinder, turn it to accessory, and press in the tab at the back of the lock cylinder- it should fall out at that point. The directions should also come with the lock cylinder in case my memory is off- it's been 10 years since I changed a lock cylinder in a Ford. We used to have a How-To on how to change that cylinder before it locked up, but the user who created it- deleted it. If you change yours out, and can remember to do it- please do a simple write up and some pics to help others out in the future. We already have a thread on how to change out the lock cylinder when it has locked up.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
scrammer
Banned

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Memberscrammer Excellent Standing Member
If you ask Steve nicely and give him your vin, he is capable of keying the cylinder for you.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
foci3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38952
What I Drive: 2001 WH 4DR

FF Reputation: 3 foci3 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJGoose View Post
Okay here is the deal. Last night on my way to work I stop off at a gas station and go to take the key out and it will turn all the way but it stops at the last second and will not let me take the key out. Now I had this issue before and simply moved the shifter down to drive and back up to park and it released. Half the night I tried over and over again to get the key out but no avail. So I ended up leaving work early to get into the dealer nice and early to have them take a look at it along with my CEL (Ended up being bad cat that they have on order). Go out to my car and guess what? The key comes out.

So long story short I bring it into the dealer and it was working fine and they could not repeat the key getting stuck so they could not do anything for that. Is this something I should be worried about. I mean what I did at work was just left the key in the ignition and used the fob to lock the door. Could that harm anything or cause my battery to go dead?
This problem is usually caused by the park interlock solenoid sticking. It is only sold as part of the shifter assembly.
No harm to car with key in turned back as far as it will go except alot easier for someone to steal it.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
LJGoose
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys. I have a feeling it might be that shift interlock thing becouse when the key was stuck in the ignition I got the same chime you get as if your car is out of park with the door open.

I will check out my ignition like you mentioned whynot. Now when I check that it is just checking the outside area correct? I don't have to take the cover off the column right.

Anyone know how much it would cost to replace the shifter assembly at the dealer if it is infact the interlock? I seen a TSB on my model year for something to do with that and it states in my warranty (wynns) that they will not cover anything that there has been a Public announcement on from the car maker such as a recall or TSB.

By the way key has not gotten stuck again. It has a mind of it's own LOL

O one more quick question. As I mentioned before the dealer ordered me the cats for my car. Is it common for the cats to go around 60 or 70K? Could there be something wrong internally in the engine causing the cats to fail?

If it ends up being the ignition I will definatly do a guide on it to help others if I end up doing it myself.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
scrammer
Banned

CLICK HERE

this thread shows you the difference between the 2
Old 08-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
LJGoose
Focus Enthusiast

Whew... Yea I have the new one. :)

Thanks scrammer
Old 08-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #10
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If I were you, I'd keep something handy in the console so I could use the emergency unlock. I'd also remove the console to see if there is some drink residue or simply crud built up on the solenoid. Someone else mentioned that they cleaned theirs and solved a similar problem- but I do not know how that was done since I don't have an AT, and haven't worked on this specific shifter design. Hopefully you'll be able to figure it out by fiddling with stuff yourself.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks