From stock 2001 S2 to new 450hp+ - Page 31 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #301
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73292
What I Drive: 2001 Money Pit

FF Reputation: 13 Mother Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Fixing the various issues I had, took the engine and tranny out, replace rear main seal, new rack & pinion, head is getting worked on and was checking the Torsen diff. Here is the thing, while the car in neutral and raised if you spin one tire the other won't move, in some other Torsen installed focus the tire spins to the opposite side, though maybe mine was broken but is not, any ideas why? Also what are the torque specs on the 4 Allen screws in the diff?

Tuned by Fernando@RacingPartsSolution.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #302
B3NN3TT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64245
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 2 B3NN3TT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I'm not 100% on how the Torsen operates, but perhaps the one side will spin free only up until the gears catch, then it locks in. How many rotations did you turn the wheel before giving up? Maybe you just didn't give it enough time to engage, as it were...
2003 SVT #2370 Hatch Nation #91 2000 Roush Cougar 2008 Mustang Bullitt #5389
Old 06-30-2011, 10:11 AM   #303
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Gave it 3-5 spins in both directions, tried again with the diff out too, really need help on this.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #304
iroc34
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Hey Italo, I found this on Torsen`s web site ...

http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm

What happens when I have a wheel in the air? Top of the Page

As mentioned above, the Torsen differential is a torque multiplier. The Torsen requires some type of resistance or friction in the system to function properly. A wheel in the air provides zero torque or friction on the system and as the Torsen multiplies the available torque, zero, by its TBR, the end result is still zero. In response to this, we developed the Torsen T-2R with pre-load to combat those wheel in the air situations.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #305
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Thanks Rocco, read it and in theory mine is working as explained, but then why others lock in neutral? Did they have different Torsen's than the T2 for the MTX? Seeing it on the inside seems like there should not be any reason to lock except in gear so 1 of the satellites have torque and the other differentiates between the 2 axis. Any torque specs to close it?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:58 PM   #306
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Back from Torsen,

"Your test method isn’t conclusive. Rather than evaluating the differential while the transmission is in neutral, you should always perform this evaluation with the transmission in gear. This prevents the ring gear from spinning, and will force the differential to spin the opposing wheel in the opposite direction when you turn one by hand.

Let me back up a step – the gearing of a differential (any differential: open, LSD, torque-biasing, etc) requires the average speed of the two axle shafts & wheels to be equal to the speed of the differential input (the ring gear). So, when the ring is prevented from turning, if you turn one shaft forward, the other must turn in the opposite direction. It’s basically the same as saying that the average of +1 and -1 must equal 0. So, by the same token, if opposite wheel cannot turn when you turn a wheel/axle, then either the ring gear must turn (at half the speed you turn the wheel) or you will not be able to turn the wheel at all. The geared mechanical connection forces this action.

So, back to your test. Often, if the transmission is in neutral, there is more inertia and drag to overcome in the opposite wheel and brake assembly then there is in the transmission gearing, which isn’t connected to the clutch, so there isn’t anything to prevent it from turning. As such, the ring gear will often turn inside the gearbox instead of having the opposite wheel turn. I see this sort of thing occur all of the time. As a result, you cannot conclude that the differential is faulty until you perform this test with the transmission in gear.

For the moment, I would speculate that there is nothing wrong with the differential, especially if you see no sign of damage or breakage within the assembly. When you reassemble the unit, torque the cap bolts to 55 lb-ft and use Locktite. Pay attention to the orientation and location of each gear to be certain that they are go back to the same places that they came from, in the same way. It is easiest to reassemble all of the internal parts on the cap, then slide the housing down over top of it. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Rick Barnes
JTEKT Torsen NA Inc
rbarnes@torsen.com
Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #307
KyleQ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84296
What I Drive: 2008 Focus Coupe 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 3 KyleQ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine did the same - I dind't care what it did in the air, as long as it performed when I had my foot in it, never let me down...
Torsen T-2/Clutchnet Stage 3
Fidanza 8lb 131 of 2150
Old 07-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #308
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Getting the head back tomorrow, ordered some ARP bolts and studs and just paid for my new turbo, I was going to upgrade down the road but a deal came up and got a gt35, thanks to Bryan@TS. How do you guys route the water lines? Do not have heater and running a SVT thermostat.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #309
Mother Focus
Focus Addict

Just got the head and FRIM back,

Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #310
Earls32