clunking - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
zetec035
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119219
What I Drive: 2003 red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zetec035 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
clunking

Brain teaser. Sounds like a swaybar link but isn't. The clunking is coming from the front drivers side. I have everything replaced in the ront end. The only thing that is a year old is the strut. Could it be a tranny mount? Can only hear it when going over bumps.

Posted via FF Mobile

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
dave89iroc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 137681
FF Reputation: 4 dave89iroc Good Standing Member
Sway bar mount bushings tight? And it could be the strut as well
Old 05-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
zetec035
Focus Enthusiast

Yes those mounts are tight. Thats what I was figuring on. Couldn't see any play or feel it in the wheel unless I was doing highway speeds. And I know it needs an alignment. But it wouldn't cause a clunking would it?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Alignment does not cause clunking in and of itself, rather, driving out of line loosens parts prematurely from unexpected loading.

You cannot check sway bar links with one wheel at a time jacked in the air FYI, the looseness tightens up when the bar warps to make you think they are perfect. Both sides of car must be in the air at same time and wheels hanging free so the bar is even and unloaded. I used to watch cheap sway end links die easily in 6 months or less if not grade A quality part. Even the best ones are crap on these cars because of the crap design. Can be sway bar BUSHING too.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
zetec035
Focus Enthusiast

It's not the bushing. I'm not a complete idiot. I know I can't check links with one side of the car in the air. That defeats the purpose. The bushings aren't the culprit either. Like I said everything is tight. Swaybar links were replaced a week ago.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 05-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Easy response is everything is perfect & the noise isn't coming from your car, just a coincidence.

Besides the majority of questions we get here coming from folks who only jack up one side at a time, most don't know the links are still loaded even with both wheels in the air. Not knowing doesn't make an idiot, just not as experienced.

Last one with this issue had a loose sway bar link, even though just installed & checked. Quite common on these to have one work loose soon after installation.

Then you get into other possibilities, like a sway bar that shifted & contacts the body when it moves. Checking the bushings as mentioned usually reveals this as the movement of the bar can then be seen, even if the rub point isn't obvious.

Center bolt to the strut mount has made this noise before, looseness there isn't always obvious either.

The engine mounts can make noise, but that can usually be initiated by other inputs than JUST having the one wheel go over a bump.

Dislike "everything is replaced but I still have a problem" posts, hard to convince someone that a fresh look is required without any assumptions of what "couldn't" be the issue.

Luck

S.R. #275
Old 05-24-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
zetec035
Focus Enthusiast

Thank you for your input. Just wondering if the strut blew. And if it would make a clunk. been working at it a few days now (other repairs not related) just getting to be a headache one thing after another. Soon time to trade it in for a newer model. Don't get me wrong it's a good car if I wanted to spend the money on it but I have a very tight budget lol. My center bolt has been a pain but I know that is tight also. Control arm bushing maybe? I'm soon giving up. Posted via FF Mobile
Old 05-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
If a strut "blew" there would be oil all over it from the seal leak.

You mentioned changing everything in front, lower arm/ball joint wasn't part of that? It's often done that way as the easiest repair & gives new bushings at the same time.

Wouldn't expect a clunk unless the new one is loose, or an old one has a bad ball joint.

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->