tire shine? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-31-2004, 01:48 PM   #1
hoyter24
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 4416
What I Drive: 2001 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 hoyter24 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
tire shine?

i have tried black magic tire foam and the the spray, both leave oily black spots on the side of my car. does anyone know of a better kind that wont leave stuff on my car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 02:04 PM   #2
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
The best I have ever found is Meguires (or how ever you spell it) tire shine stuff. Don't know the exact name of the product but it is a gel and not a foam or liquid. It lasts for days not just a few hours. It comes in a black bottle and you can't mistake the stuff inside, flip up the top and if the stuff inside smells like grape bubble gum thats it. I kid you not, the stuff smells good enough to eat. I think any gel product will out perform the liquid of foam products out there but this is the one I like. Alot of stores used to carry it (meijer,walmart,etc..) but I have had trouble locating it in the past so try a big name auto store, they should have it.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
waynestowels
Focus Addict

Fan#: 3433
FF Reputation: 1 waynestowels Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The best I have tried that will not harm tires is Einszett Tiefenpfleger.
The Gel and other solvent based products will not only help accelerate tire deteriation and void the manufacturers warranty should there ever be a problem with the tires.
Solvent based dressings are harmfull to the tires..., but very cheap to make and there is a huge mark-up.

IMO, it is better to use a "safe" product on your tires and apply as needed rather than taking a chance..., just my opinion though:)
Old 08-31-2004, 10:44 PM   #4
Groo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9319
What I Drive: Yellow '04 ZX3 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Groo Good Standing Member
Can you tell us some of the specific dressings you'd recommend against? All the ones I've seen claim to protect against UV and/or retard drying and cracking.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:58 AM   #5
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
Maybe all those blow outs in Fords a couple years ago was due to all the customers using the wrong tire dressing. I don't know how many tires I have seen fly off my car due to using the gel instead of Ford Factory Approved "Einszett Tiefenpfleger" tire dressing. Also I am sure you can pick up the "Einszett Tiefenpfleger" at any automotive store, its so common around here it just flys off the shelves.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:18 PM   #6
sexy2002svt
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3468
What I Drive: JDM Mugen Turtle

FF Reputation: 4 sexy2002svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Re: tire shine?

Quote:
Originally posted by hoyter24
i have tried black magic tire foam and the the spray, both leave oily black spots on the side of my car. does anyone know of a better kind that wont leave stuff on my car
the only thing i can think of, is to spray your tires when you know you won't be driving for the rest of the day........then just let them sit overnight, so that you can let the excess either drip off, or dry........i'm pretty sure it'll still leave the little spots on your car, but i don't think it'll be as bad..........that's why i stopped using tire shine
Old 09-01-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Best we have used is ArmorAll.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #8
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
I use Black Magic tire shine in a spray bottle (like a window cleaner bottle) and it leaves a nice shine that lasts for days and days. It's real quick to apply too, only takes a couple squirts per tire.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Black Magic is kinda too greasy, it seems like? Or is it just me???
Old 09-01-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
it is, but how often do you lovingly pet your tires?

Bookmarks & Social Networks