Recieved A Formal DOT Approval and Rules/Regulations Of HID Products - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Exclamation Recieved A Formal DOT Approval and Rules/Regulations Of HID Products

Moderators If you want to retitle this and make it a sticky for Lighting forum you can I just want educate everyone on this growing Fad...

I have been dealing with HID products for over a year now and I have seen many arguments crop up about HID lights in open housings like factory focus lights or even st-170 euro lights...

Everyone tends to believe that these lights are illegal in open housings or in some cases just illegal period because of the light output...

Today I recieved and Pass (which i knew i would) a DOT inspection on a Factory Ford Focus TYC style Black Open Housing Headlight with 8000k HIDS... The Formal review states that this vehicles lighting meets or exceeds DOT Standards and is also in Compliance with Legal light height and reflection...

Ok before you go into flaming me let me explain every detail about HID Lighting period and How it can be easily made STREET & DOT Legal... Which those two are the biggest issues... DOT Legal does not mean its STREET Legal.... Local laws and or State laws depict STREET Legal...

Easiest way to pass DOT Inspection and Street Compliance In any state involves you knowing whats making them illegal in the first place...

1. HID Lights Produce between 300-600% better lighting then any filament bulb on the market... This Means that THEY ARE BRIGHT! Its that simple... Misadjustment or not adjusting them period Is ILLEGAL!!

2. An HID Bulbs Gas Discharge Chamber is located Further forward or backward from FACTORY Bulbs... Which means The Reflection of the lighting is now distorted and or reflected differently because of this...

3. When an HID Bulb is put into any vehicle especially vehicles with open housings they need to be adjusted for the proper height and reflection of the now brighter bulb... Best Example 2005 G35 Sedan/Coupe OPEN HOUSING HID... If those HIDS Werent PROPERLY adjusted they could come from the factory ILLEGAL!!! I know I was pulled over 3 times in my SVT Focus before I went to ford and they realized the left headlamps adjustment was way off...
I believe some of you have had similiar experiences...

4. Sometimes you just get bulbs with outragous colors.... Thinking thats what BMW's use why cant I... Heres a Fact BMWs and just about every factory HID car has 4300k (WHITEST Almost Turning Yellow)... The trick to them looking blue or purple when you look at them is that the Globes or Reflectors (depending on projector/open housing) have a colored haze on the sides causing anything not right straight on with the light to be Colored... BECAUSE if you have ever owned a factory HID car you will notice your lights hitting the ground ARE WHITE!!!

5. This is the most common one.... "I was cheap and I went with a $40 HID kit off ebay which only has a LOWBEAM..." If your vehicle came factory with Dual Filament bulbs dont be a cheapo and buy a single beam kit... If you get flashed by law enforcement and you dont flash them back... Thats your butt getting a $300 ticket... BI-XENON is the only LEGAL way to go not hi-lo with a dumb filament bulb for your high... Fact if your highbeam doesnt blind that deputy or police officer more then that low beam your getting pulled over...

Fact In order to LEGALLY use High Intensity Discharge Bulbs you must purchase a Color Legal to the limits... 4300k to 8000k are legal the color output is just nomanal... 10000k 12000k 15000k blue red purple pink yellow green ILLEGAL!!! I know people get away with and I did for the longest time 10000k and 12000k bulbs... It is possible to get away with it because law enforcement has just stopped caring sometimes... But sometimes they want to make an example and sometimes its your lucky day Bamm $300 later and your not so happy...

Fact You MUST ADJUST EVERY HEADLIGHT open housing or projector If the vehicle did not COME FACTORY with HIDS it is against the law to put any higher output HID OR NOT bulb without adjusting for the added brightness of the bulb... Which means IF YOUR GETTING FLASHED (not every once in awhile I mean Constantly flashed) Chances are they are way to darn High!

I certainly hope this helps and if some of you want you can rate me negatively or positive that is fine thats what its there for right??? So think what you want but i know that over 230 of my customers vehicles (motorcycles cars trucks whatever) are driving with HIDS that niether blind you or get them a ticket...

Keep on Keepin Ford Lovers

Last edited by FocusBoy58; 08-03-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Forgot put another piece of information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
So just to clarify, if you drop HID bulbs into factory housings not meant for them, and don't make any adjustment for the brightness, this is illegal?

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Seems like every other HID thread I have ever read...
Where is the new information?

I also don't think HID's are a "growing fad" anymore. The "growing fad" is retrofitting projectors from a different car (ie; Acura TSX) into your car. I think most people are learning about el cheapo eBay HID's...

Oh...and...
in before the fight...
Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
slowduratec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59069
What I Drive: 2006 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 slowduratec Great Standing Member
[QUOTE= 4. Sometimes you just get bulbs with outragous colors.... Thinking thats what BMW's use why cant I... Heres a Fact BMWs and just about every factory HID car has 4300k (WHITEST Almost Turning Yellow)... The trick to them looking blue or purple when you look at them is that the Globes or Reflectors (depending on projector/open housing) have a colored haze on the sides causing anything not right straight on with the light to be Colored... BECAUSE if you have ever owned a factory HID car you will notice your lights hitting the ground ARE WHITE!!!=QUOTE]

^This is false there is no color inside a projector its all chrome. Whats causing the color is the projector lens itself, acting like a prism. If you stick that same bulb into a hid reflector its going to be one color at all angles.

As for the legality of hid's i haven't seen any proof that they are legal in stock halogens. And as far as anything that says for off-road use is saying that it is illegal. But who knows, I have seen way more older people getting hid kits for their vehicles now a days.
Team Duratec #236
Old 08-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
JustHereFTM
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 68588
What I Drive: 2008 Focus

FF Reputation: 7 JustHereFTM Good Standing Member
i dont know about the legal mumbo jumbo and im not saying your info is right or wrong, but hids just look so much more "high quality" in a projector with a sharp cut-off line!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile The hid threads on here are mainly about your pissing of people in oncoming vehicals more then them being illegal.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
slowduratec
Focus Addict

Fan#: 59069
What I Drive: 2006 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 slowduratec Great Standing Member
I can really care less about them, if that's what you wanna do that's your choice. Dont bother me one bit. My girlfriend has a kit because she wont let me retro her car.
Team Duratec #236
Old 08-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile The hid threads on here are mainly about your pissing of people in oncoming vehicals more then them being illegal.
I had a kit on my old s40 and as much as I'd like to say it didn't blind people, I think it did.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Birdman330
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43139
What I Drive: 08 Liquid Red Holden Commodore

FF Reputation: 2 Birdman330 Good Standing Member
Here's what you do, put them in go outside at night take a chair, turn your HID's on and then sit in the position in the chair as if you were an oncoming car. If it hurts your eyes and blinds you, guess what you should remove them because everybody you meet has that same reaction. Sooner or later you'll find Mr. John Q. Law that will give a shite about what you've done and bust you for it. Its only a matter of time before you're caught. If the Fed's say its illegal then don't do it and think its alright. There is a difference between a Xenon Housing and Halogen Housing. One is for Xenons which are projector housings designed to keep the light output focused and without bothering eyes. The second is for your standard light bulb and designed to maximize light output in all directions without blinding people using low lumens. Understood? Just because it passed at an inspection station means the inspector didn't give a rat's arse. More than likely you slipped the inspector a couple Jacksons to pass.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Mine don't blind ANYBODY. But of course I aimed the darn things. I have never been flashed.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat

Bookmarks & Social Networks