good first car? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2004, 06:23 PM   #1
pyro52988
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 9778
FF Reputation: 1 pyro52988 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
good first car?

I am 16, and i am very interested in getting a ford focus zx3 for my first car. My mom doesn't want me to get a Ford because it's an American made car. Is the zx3 a good first car, and how reliable is it? how long would you say it would last?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
anything from 02 and newer is an excellent choice. VERY reliable. i only break mine when i play with it!

just show your mom all the Car and Driver tests where we're one of the top 10 in our class. the focus is a VERY well-built car. i know domestic cars haven't had the greatest rep for a long time, but it's gonna change and the focus is proof of that.

the car is also very safe, too.

typical longevity of the focus isn't exactly known, but some on here are well over 100K miles no problems. the reason: the focus engines are VERY reliable! you won't have blown head gasket problems or anything like that.

i'd also recommend a stick shift. better MPG, more reliable (ford still doesn't make a terribly good auto sorry to say), and more fun! if you don't know how to drive stick.... LEARN!!!

Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
Dragon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9785
What I Drive: 04 Infra-Red ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Dragon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If you can get a August edition of Consumers Reports they rate the small cars. The top 6 were recommended buy's and the Focus was rated #2. Rated #1 was the Mazda 3. Honda , Toyota, and Nissan were all rated lower than the Focus Mom will probably go for it then
Old 08-30-2004, 06:52 PM   #4
tension001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2278
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red 5sp ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tension001 Good Standing Member
the focus has posed to be very reliable. Some people around here have seen them well into the 100 thousand mile mark and the cars still run great. Others say they pound their car on a day to day basis and it still runs great. So Ford build this one right....

OBX 4-2-1 Race Header; Borla 2.5" SVT Catback; MAC Short Ram; FC 65mm TB; FC Race Shifter; Gear Concepts Aluminum Pedals; Painted Interior; SVT Front Bumper and grille
Old 08-30-2004, 07:06 PM   #5
whiteboyslo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 180
What I Drive: 04 Pontiac GTO - Yellow M6

FF Reputation: 2 whiteboyslo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
another plus going for you:

is you buy used, the resale value of these guys can be quite low, mainly because the 00-01 models were plagued with recalls and the fear of these recalls has never really left. you know better now, though. just get 02 and newer. you'll be fine.

if you get 04 (new), ford is offering $3K rebate and a FREE dell computer! if you get a baseline model, i almost guarantee you can get out of there for just about $10K. hurry, though. 04 zx3s (well, any 04 model) are getting harder to come by.

05 models have a $2K rebate. still pretty good. i'm not a huge fan of the 05s, but that's a personal preference.

Mike
Old 08-30-2004, 08:19 PM   #6
Moe-van1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46
What I Drive: SVT

FF Reputation: 1 Moe-van1 Good Standing Member
whatever you choose just don't get the auto. Many of us who have them for various reasons as to why wish that we did have a MTX.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:41 PM   #7
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
Plus foreign cars are stupid. Yay American! (I am contractually obligated to do that, I work for a Ford supplier)

In all honesty, foreign small cars aren't better than the Focus. The car really is the whole package. its got fantastic mileage, tons of cargo room, tons of people room, great visibility, it handles like its on rails, its easy to insure, the parts are relatively cheap (which cannot be said for many foreign cars), and the best part it looks great and is a hoot to drive. I would be willing to bet that there isn't another car on the market with all the same positive attributes. I've had my 2000 for almost a year now and its got 106k miles on it. I just got back in from thrashing it on the freeway, tossing it into some corners, whistling at some ladies, and cruising with the windows down the system up and all I have to say is its the best car I've ever owned.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
FelixA73
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10979
What I Drive: 2005 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FelixA73 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by bwojdyla

I just got back in from thrashing it on the freeway, tossing it into some corners, whistling at some ladies, and cruising with the windows down the system up and all I have to say is its the best car I've ever owned. [/B]

Old 08-30-2004, 09:37 PM   #9
FocuzdZX5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7906
What I Drive: '01 CD Silver ZX3(mine) '04 Light Tundra ZX5(wifes)

FF Reputation: 1 FocuzdZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Show her this LINK

Its a great first car. Even a 00 or 01. The recalls are still good if they havent been done. Recalls are good( a manufacturer actually admits a fualt). I just bought my 3rd and it is my 2nd Focus in the garage. Great car for the money!!!!

Had - AEM cai, Eibach Dampers/Sportline springs, FC Knobs, 98 Edition Euro Bumper, FC TB, FS strut bar, FC wire cover, FR plug wires, Eibach Sways(frt/rr), FC header, bosal flex, Borla 2.5 cat back.

Long tyme no post!
origanal FF #: 2221

e-mail frostyj@cox.net
Old 08-30-2004, 09:39 PM   #10
s2dude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 554
What I Drive: 2001 zx3 s2 edition

FF Reputation: 1 s2dude Good Standing Member
yea, i drive the crap out of mine, and i havent had any reliability problems, just that damn ignition cylinder has twice locked up and i had to have it towed. But, mine is an 01, 02 and newer have virtually no probs. Btw, this is my first car, and I enjoy it. the only thing i dont like is the lack of brute power, but drivin through the twisties is so much more fun!!

mods
AEM short ram
HKS cat back
tint-20%rear,35%front
ICE- 12" kicker L7, legacy 1000 watt amp

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->