Fan Won't Shut Off? - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Megotu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77258
What I Drive: 2003 blue focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Megotu Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fan Won't Shut Off?

Hi, new member long time lurker. Got the 2003 Focus SE. Just survived the bad ignition cylinder episode. Ford dealership near couldn't get the work done for a week and went to a friend recommended local garage. They swapped out the ignition cylinder in 3 hours. Went to work last night, no problems. Drove home this morning and the fan was still going after I stopped. I know some cars, the fans keep going awhile but I hadn't noticed this before on my Focus. Anyway...went out there just now and the 2 month old battery is drained. Is THIS something that could have been related to the ignition cylinder change-out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
niggly51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74542
What I Drive: Xantia 1.9td & Wifes Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 19 niggly51 Great Standing Member
What were they doing for the other two and a half hours?
It is a straightforward task to change the lock cylinder, but- was this all that they changed?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggly51 View Post
What were they doing for the other two and a half hours?
It is a straightforward task to change the lock cylinder, but- was this all that they changed?
Not if it locks up and won't turn, then you have to drill it out, and that takes time.

Now this might be an evil coincidence. Something goes wrong that is completely unrelated to some work that was done. Check the fan wiring harness, these are well known to melt, but we've never had one melt together and continue running although it is possible.

I'd consider taking it back to see what they say about it, but there shouldn't be any way that the engine cooling fan could continue to run as a result of something in the steering column.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
niggly51
Focus Addict

Whoops! Should have considered the captive key problem. I wrongly assumed it was a straight cylinder swap. What I was wondering was whether they had to replace any wiring associated with the switch or possibly altered some wiring to give a constant feed on a circuit that should be switched.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Best guess for now is an unusual failure of a relay. Once in a while power contacts can "weld" themselves together, so it won't shut off.
Pull fan relays (2) 'till you find which one shuts off the fan when pulled, then swap with a good one from another circuit or a new one to check this possibility. (easier/quicker than trying to describe how to test the relay with VOM & test leads) OK with different relay - problem solved...

Luck!
Old 08-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #6
Megotu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 77258
What I Drive: 2003 blue focus se

FF Reputation: 1 Megotu Good Standing Member
Not a captive key Thank Ogem.But I assume they were also working on other cars as well...Possibly even driving to the store for parts. They might even have had lunch. They got the car at 0930 and called me at 1230 before they losed at 1300. I call that pretty good service.

Well got the car jumped yesterday afternoon, drove to work last night and drove home, no fan issue. Drove the wife to work and got home...The fan won't shut off. For now, I just disconnected the negative on the battery. No battery, no battery drainage. I waited a minute to see if it rebooted, it started back as soon as I reconnected the battery. Pulled the wire again and now I am off to bed. This can wait til my day off, but at least the battery should survive til then.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
niggly51
Focus Addict

When I queuried the time taken I was thinking chargeable time, not elapsed time. Sailors suggestion of the relay is good, but it does seem odd that it's started after the cylinder work was done.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Monoblanco
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 59784
What I Drive: 2002 bright yellow ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 Monoblanco Good Standing Member
I just took a look at the schematic - I'll bet on stuck relay contacts, just as sailor said.

Bookmarks & Social Networks