2nd at Desert Race Wars - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Drag Racing

Drag Racing The place to discuss information about drag racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-30-2004, 05:59 PM   #1
jerryzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9236
What I Drive: 2001 sangria red zx3 zetec

FF Reputation: 1 jerryzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2nd at Desert Race Wars

Desert Race Wars was Saturday night and I only got second. Turn out wasn't great, only nine cars in my class. I would have had it locked up if an S2000 wouldn't have showed up. I am running high 15's and everyone else but him was running high 17's. My best times are
Reaction .6078
60ft. 2.0885
1/8 9.9823
1/8 mph 69.35
1/4 15.7038
1/4 mph 85.10

I lost to the S2000 by .1725, his best reaction time was .9754. All night his reaction time had been 1.0 to 1.2, if he would have had that reaction time I would have won by .1 . Maybe next year, I have already won the last two before that one. I have a question though. What can I do next for more HP and stay NA. I need to gain at least 2 tenths to catch him if he doesn't get a better reaction time. By the way his best time was a 15.17 at 92.61mph. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2004, 10:04 PM   #2
dudemanzx3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2698
What I Drive: 03' Poop White ZX3 2.3L/ 90' Pigeon Grey Camry Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 dudemanzx3 Good Standing Member
Thats a pretty crappy time for an S2000.
Custom Magnaflow catback exh w/ 2.5 inch piping
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
CivicHatch+SVT-F
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4136
What I Drive: Chris=96 Civic Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 CivicHatch+SVT-F Good Standing Member
hell yeah it is

Ek hatch
- JDM b16 (SiRII) swap, Kaaz 1.5 way LSD, Evo2 exhaust, shorty intake, hi-flow cat, B&M 2-bend shifter, gutted, lightweight bucket CF seats, weighs in @ 2250lbs
Old 09-01-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
BlkZX3

Fan#: 473
What I Drive: El Huevo Negro

FF Reputation: 1 BlkZX3 Good Standing Member
15.1 is quite abit faster than a 15.7
Old 09-01-2004, 08:41 AM   #5
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
good stuff. sounds like your ready for cams then mang. you have a pretty impressive torque # though.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
Well, is this a street car or a strip car. I saw the roll cage in your profile. If its strip theres a lot you can do. Its a question of whether you want to do it, and the rules of your race class. Try thinking about ways to reduce rotating mass. Your engine and powertrain become considerably more efficient when they don't have to fight rotational intertia. Lighter flywheel/clutch components (where strength isn't necessary of course) lighter wheels and tires, get a smaller diameter tires, it will give you much better take off, strip all the cabin weight out that you can, make sure you are running with no carpet, no headliner, no spare tire, and just the driver seat, you could also take the interior panels off the rear hatch and rear passenger compartment, that's just decoration, take the speakers out, the heat shields under the car, chop the exhasut system down so it terminates as fast as possible, take out the grill, passenger side rearview mirror, replace the quarter glass with lexan panels, put spare tires on the back wheels, you don't need those heavy full sized wheels and tires for a quarter mile run, run with a sniff of gas in the trak, just enough to make it through the run, take off the air conditioning compressor and all related aircon equipment/hoses canisters, get a lighter battery, cut a hole through the front drivers headlight and route a cold air intake through it and use an air horn to push air from a stagnation point, take out the battery cover (which is stupid in my opinion) and the cover that goes from the grill to the radiator mounting beam, no windshield wipers, cowl cover, wiper motor assembly (which is suprisingly heavy), glovebox? you don't need no stinking glove box, the voer that goes over the shifter area, the hvac routing tubes that go around the shift box... umm anybody else?

Basically, you could make the focus waaaaaaaay faster by cutting it down from its porky 2400 lbs to a slim and trim 2000 lb fighting weight.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Man that sounded fun as hell, but hey better luck next time. Either way, sounded fun and good job.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
SVTJerbo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9367
What I Drive: 2002 Svtf

FF Reputation: 1 SVTJerbo Good Standing Member
im confused jerry did you run a 15.3 because you were .157 behin him or did you still run a 15.7?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:00 PM   #9
AuthentiCustomz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7547
What I Drive: 03 Zx3--Matrix Edition

FF Reputation: 1 AuthentiCustomz Good Standing Member
^^^ he made up for the difference in his reaction time since he had a decent time and the other guy had a shitty one....when you're going heads up....reaction time can make or break you
Old 09-01-2004, 08:07 PM   #10
jerryzx3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 9236
What I Drive: 2001 sangria red zx3 zetec

FF Reputation: 1 jerryzx3 Good Standing Member
yeah it was the reaction time, I was almost a half second faster than him off the line. I am keeping this car street legal because I do drive it a few times a week and on weekends. I have stripped it and only have one seat when I drive. I also remove the headrest and all interior panels except the dash and headliner. I also remove the drivers side headlight and run an intake pipe out the front for the ram air effect. I remove all uneeded fluids such as widshield wiper fluid. I have also removed the rear windshield wiper and motor. I have centerline race wheels that are only 13lbs with bfg drag radials. I have a Spec stage V clutch that hasn't been installed yet. I don't know if the flywheel is worth it since the weight does help with momentum since going. I know alot of the big drag cars use heavy ones to help move the car off launch. Oh yeah, I also remove the radio and speakers. If it unscrews and isn't necessary for the race, it comes out. I am thinking a 70mm MAF with 30 lb injectors. Then a full head package, I am thinking at least stage 3. I know that might be hard to drive on the street but as long as it is still legal I don't care what it drives like. Thanks for the feedback and if anyone thinks of anything else I sure would appreciate it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.