Clunking noise coming from front end? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Lowtek
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44111
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3, 2011 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 12 Lowtek Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Clunking noise coming from front end?

Hello,

I recently started hearing a clunking noise coming from both sides (driver and passenger) of the front end when I drive. This mainly happens when I hit little bumps in the road and the noise gets louder when I hit slightly bigger bumps. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I replaced the sway bar endlinks about a month ago because the old ones were shot. I did some looking around in the front end and I found that this bushing or whatever (not sure what its called) looks worn out and flat. Can anyone help me out?

Here is a pic:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
That's not a bushing in this case, its a dust boot that protects the tie rod end from getting contaminated with dirt, etc. How old are your shocks (mileage etc.)?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Lowtek
Focus Addict

The car itself has 107k on it but the shocks/springs (KW struts and Eibach Sportlines) have about 30k max on them.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Fan#: 56705
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
could be the ball joint, do the ball joing test.
maybe strut bearing?

i hate front end clunks.. i had it once, turned out to be a loose lower ball joint pinch bolt..
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
There are numerous things can cause front end clunks and you fixed one of the more common ones, the endlinks. Another possibility could be the springs binding (coils touching on compression) due to the shocks loosing some damping ability. This can happen with shorter springs with relatively soft rates like the Sportlines. The coils end up being closer together initially. Look at the tops and bottoms of the coils to any tell tale signs of rubbed of paint (eg bare metal).
Old 07-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
aTm Beaner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21542
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 5 aTm Beaner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I'm getting a clink but only when turning right over bumps. I'll occasionally hear it when backing up from my driveway as my car touches the street. I took it to a mechanic thinking it was the CV axle, but he said they were fine. I then took it to Sears who then told me it could be a strut. Any help would be great.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
Spinal
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45687
What I Drive: 2007, Vermillion Red, ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 29 Spinal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
well if it is the strut, easy test would be to push down on one side of your car and see if it does a bobble head type motion. my friend had the same issue with his car, FRPP suspension crapped out after a year (driver side front strut) and good god it was almost like the spring had no dampening what so ever, was funny when he came to a stoplight though, car kept bouncing back/fourth lol.
Last Of The Hatches #44
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
jasonbi
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13305
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 3 jasonbi Good Standing Member
Quote:
could be the ball joint, do the ball joing test.
so how would someone perform such a test?
#3286 OF 4788
Old 07-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
Lowtek
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
There are numerous things can cause front end clunks and you fixed one of the more common ones, the endlinks. Another possibility could be the springs binding (coils touching on compression) due to the shocks loosing some damping ability. This can happen with shorter springs with relatively soft rates like the Sportlines. The coils end up being closer together initially. Look at the tops and bottoms of the coils to any tell tale signs of rubbed of paint (eg bare metal).
If this happens to be the problem, is there anyway to fix that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
well if it is the strut, easy test would be to push down on one side of your car and see if it does a bobble head type motion. my friend had the same issue with his car, FRPP suspension crapped out after a year (driver side front strut) and good god it was almost like the spring had no dampening what so ever, was funny when he came to a stoplight though, car kept bouncing back/fourth lol.
I "tested" the struts by pushing on the fender/hood on each side of the car and it was stiff and not bouncy like you you described so I dont think my struts are bad but thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbi View Post
so how would someone perform such a test?
I am wondering the same thing lol. Maybe if someone could explain this, I will test the ball joints today.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
B3NN3TT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 64245
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 2 B3NN3TT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
What kind of end links did you use?

If you didn't get OEM Ford end links, go back in and make sure the nuts are all torqued correctly on them; the aftermarket links are known to work their way loose.
2003 SVT #2370 Hatch Nation #91 2000 Roush Cougar 2008 Mustang Bullitt #5389

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->