Aftermarket HU: Resistor for sub "pop" - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
FinalJenemba
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 54270
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 1 FinalJenemba Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Aftermarket HU: Resistor for sub "pop"

Just installed a new Pioneer HU in my 05 /w Audiophile. I did my research and got all the right harnesses so everything works great, I love it. But im getting the popping sound from the sub whenever I turn on the stereo. I read on here that a 1k ohm resistor in the amp turn on lead will fix this, but my question is, is it a 1/8 watt, 1/4 watt, or 1/2 watt resistor? Or does it matter?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #2
2GreenAutos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54691
What I Drive: 2010 SES

FF Reputation: 2 2GreenAutos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Is Audiophile a factory amp/sub system? In any case I have used the PAC TR-4 turn on delay module with great results. It will delay the amp turn on 2 seconds and should get rid of that pop, ebay and sonicelectronix has them less than $20. Could you post up where you read about the resistor? I have only heard of diode isolating head units.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
FinalJenemba
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GreenAutos View Post
Is Audiophile a factory amp/sub system? In any case I have used the PAC TR-4 turn on delay module with great results. It will delay the amp turn on 2 seconds and should get rid of that pop, ebay and sonicelectronix has them less than $20. Could you post up where you read about the resistor? I have only heard of diode isolating head units.
Post #2 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=resistor

Post #5 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=resistor

Post #4 http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...light=resistor

I work at Radioshack and can grab a 1k resistor real easy, would much prefer that to ordering a $20 part of ebay if I could.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
2GreenAutos
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54691
What I Drive: 2010 SES

FF Reputation: 2 2GreenAutos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I see, I knew it was something about the factory stereo. Those things always need something wierd. Didn't know you needed to step down the voltage to the amp.

I am not an electrical engineer so you may want to wait for someone else to chime in. The way I understand it, the watt rating is the amout of heat the resistor can dissipate. The higher watt rating won't effect the resistance and just adds safety. http://www.bcae1.com/resistrs.htm Their calculator says 1000ohm @ 12v = .144 watts, so as long as you don't use the 1/8th it should be good.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yes, get a 1k ohm resistor that can handle a whole .144 watts of power without failing, and you'll be fine.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 07-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
FinalJenemba
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GreenAutos View Post
I see, I knew it was something about the factory stereo. Those things always need something wierd. Didn't know you needed to step down the voltage to the amp.

I am not an electrical engineer so you may want to wait for someone else to chime in. The way I understand it, the watt rating is the amout of heat the resistor can dissipate. The higher watt rating won't effect the resistance and just adds safety. http://www.bcae1.com/resistrs.htm Their calculator says 1000ohm @ 12v = .144 watts, so as long as you don't use the 1/8th it should be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
Yes, get a 1k ohm resistor that can handle a whole .144 watts of power without failing, and you'll be fine.
I see, tanks guys! That makes a bunch of sense. You'd think after 2 years of working at Radioshack id have picked that up somewhere lol. But the truth is the few people that still come in to buy fuses and junk are pretty unpleasant and dont much care to talk.

Thanks again!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #7
kkreit01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 76322
What I Drive: 2010 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 kkreit01 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You might want to read some more (on other forums, Mustang, etc.). I used the same harness with my 08 Sport Trac audiophile. I still had turn-on/off thump even with a 1K resistor. It wasn't horrible, and I could regulate it by turning the volume way down prior to stopping vehicle. Others recommended a different size resistor (I can't remember exactly). A voltage regulator would work better. This is just an FYI, that a 1K will help, but probably not eliminate the problem.

I quickly went all aftermarket, and sold the audiophile, so I didn't look into the problem any further, when I had my ST.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
YellowJellyBean
Love CA / Hate CARB

Fan#: 69030
What I Drive: MÜSTÄRD

FF Reputation: 13 YellowJellyBean Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post

I quickly went all aftermarket, and sold the audiophile, so I didn't look into the problem any further, when I had my ST.
Which is what I would recommend. I understand it's expensive, but you'll be much happier in the long run if you just replace the Audiophile setup.

Focus Fanatics
Extremely helpful people
I made a haiku
Old 07-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
quinnjdogg
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 76001
What I Drive: 2003 black svt

FF Reputation: 3 quinnjdogg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have always used a 1.5K resistor. You could also use a radio shack part # 276-1770. It is a 5 volt regulator that works perfectly, just a little tougher to install.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
FinalJenemba
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJellyBean View Post
Which is what I would recommend. I understand it's expensive, but you'll be much happier in the long run if you just replace the Audiophile setup.
Def not doin that. Iv never been dissatisfied with the way the Audiophile sounded, just wanted iPod control and BT. Im very happy with the way the system sounds. Im gonna try the resistor this weekend, if it doesn't work ill grab a volt reg and do it that way.

quinnjdogg: Could you give a quick description on how you wired your 5v reg up? Would help people finding this through google as well as me ;)

Edit: Just got to work and checked out the 5v reg, it really doesnt look any harder to hook up, just in, out, and tap into the ground wire. I think ill just go that route so I can get it right the first time. Thanks!

Last edited by FinalJenemba; 07-30-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks