You feelings on street racing - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Gaming Fanatics

Gaming Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest video games, cheats, strategies and consoles.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
zslaton
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11347
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow Power Premium ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zslaton Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You feelings on street racing

In the interest of keeping another thread on topic (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...threadid=23479), I have started this one.

Several people in that forum have tried to point out to me that viedo games don't kill people, idiots do. I would agree with that as a logical statement, but I would also think the manufacturers of video games have a reposnsibility to not encourage blatantly illegal behavior in minors (who are their intended audience). As a new parent, I recognize the difference between marketing adult material to adults and marketing it to children. I think its ridiculous that we find it acceptable in this country that we market material to minors that encourages illegal and/or adult behavior. I find it even more appalling that a large segment of the public thinks the makers of such products have no duty to protect the consumers, especially impressionable young children. Do you think Jimmy Iovine would let his 8 or 9 year old listen to Eminem? Probably not, but he has no problem marketing that type of entertainment to a someone else's kid of the same age. How about the makers of GTA or this street racing game? Do you think the makers of MTV would let their kids take part in some of the stupid activities they show? They're all a bunch of hypocrites!

I work in the auto industry. We go above and beyond the call of duty to put as many safety features in our cars to prevent misuse or at least protect a moron who wants to misuse it. Is it too much to ask the entertainment industry to do the same? Parents need to do their best to watch out for their kids, but it would help us out immensley if the parents who run the entertainment industry didn't try to cut us out at our knees everytime we turn around.

As for the people who were insinuating street racing was no big deal because it hadn't killed more than a couple of people - I ask what is wrong with you people? You think zooming down a 45 mph street doing 100 mph is safe? You think it does modders any good to have morons using their mods to break the law? You wonder why the cops harrass you, its because too many punks want to break the law. I hate sterotyping, but sometimes there is a grain of truth behind it.

If you want to race, do it the right way and go to a track. You'll get far more reliable numbers and you won't be jeopardizing the health of those around you. Otherwise, don't be pissed when more and more states get fed up with your idiotic behavior and start taking drastic measures against all who modify their cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Fan#: 1986
What I Drive: 77 F-250, 10 HHR, 08 Outlook

FF Reputation: 5 crazy_urn Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You have made some good points, but i must disagree with you.

It is not the responsibility of the entertainment industry (whether you are talking about video games, movies, or music) to raise children. in theory, parents should raise their kids to know the differance between right and wrong. the differance between fiction and reality. it is really sad that a good percentage of parents no longer care about their children but would rather sit them in front of the TV (or video game) then actually raise their kids. it is said that many children learn everything they know in life from the entertainment industry. but is that the fault of the industry? i do not believe that the entertainment industry should be held responcible for inept parents. The entertainment industry is in business for the sole purpose of entertaining, not raising children.

If you have a problem with street racing games, that is fine. that is your right. If you have a problem with violence (which i assume you do because of your mention of GTA) that is fine, that is your right. however, there are a great number of people who very much enjoy these styles of games. i happen to be one of them.

the one thing you have to remember is that every video game is clearly rated. games like GTA are rated M for mature, which means you must be 17 years old or older to purchase this game. that, in theory should prevent impressionable kids from playing this game. However, this does not always work exactly. you see, many retailers dont care about game ratings. they will sell any game to anyone just to make a couple bucks. is that the fault of the makers of the game? of course not. The other problem is that many parents just dont care. they see the title of the game on a gift list, they buy the game and give it to there young child. is that the fault of the game makers? of course not.

in the end it comes down to this... if parents did their job, we would not be having this discussion.

I, as an adult, should be able to purchase games where i can run around and kill anyone just cause they are there. I should be able to buy games where i can do all sorts of fun illegal things that i will never do in real life. just because these video games give me this fun doesnt make them evil. they dont have blatent disreguard for the protection of the consumers, as you would suggest. its not thier fault if some stupid parent lets 10 year old jimmy play games like this.

in conclusion... (cliff notes) you cannot blame the entertainment industry for bad parenting.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
[ZX3]Brucity
Focus Addict

Fan#: 4204
What I Drive: Silver 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 [ZX3]Brucity Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Street racing is a dangerous activity. There have been 2 street racing related deaths this year and many accidents involving this behavior. The only safe place to drive fast is at the track, and the only safe place to drive like a nut is nowhere. I will confess I used to be heavily involved in this culture, but reformed myself before things got out of hand.

On the flip side of that coin....

Video games for decades have been a way to experience the impossible, and things that can not be done in reality. That is their purpose. It is for this reason I will not condemn street racing games. It allows people to engage in this behavior in a fantasy world, not in real life where people get hurt. If people try to live out what they play on their Xbox they are clearly not in touch.

There are reasons to argue for and against but I'm gonna say that I would defend the video game market on this one.....
Old 08-29-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 495
What I Drive: 2008 VW GTI 2006 Ford Explorer LTD

FF Reputation: 1 blackandgold Good Standing Member
One other important part that everyone who brings up GTA is forgetting is that you can play and beat that game without ever killing anyone at all. The game is based on the impulses of the player.

Secondly I have grown up on video games and back in the old days violent video games were easily gotten because of no rating system. I played games like Ninja Gaiden and P.O.W. and operation wolf (the list goes on and on) and this is when I was in elementary school. I knew a big difference from video games to reality mainly because I was brought up very well and my parents took responsibility to tell me certain things. The kids that turn violent and their parents blame it on video games and such are just looking for a scape goat so that the blame statys away from them (and of course the media follows in suit and blames the entertainment industry). I really agree with crazy urn but you do bring up some good points zslaton.
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 08-29-2004, 08:19 PM   #5
FocuzdZX5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7906
What I Drive: '01 CD Silver ZX3(mine) '04 Light Tundra ZX5(wifes)

FF Reputation: 1 FocuzdZX5 Good Standing Member
^^^^^^Agree.

I too played all types of games and even ran thru the woods with toy guns shooting my friends. We are all ok and have families now. People are too quick to balme others when the blame really never falls far from home. Don't get me wrong, I have done my fair share of STUPID CRAP with a capitol SC. But it was myself who took chances, and if I did something from a movie i didn't blame it, I tried it, it was me who was to blame for my actions.

Had - AEM cai, Eibach Dampers/Sportline springs, FC Knobs, 98 Edition Euro Bumper, FC TB, FS strut bar, FC wire cover, FR plug wires, Eibach Sways(frt/rr), FC header, bosal flex, Borla 2.5 cat back.

Long tyme no post!
origanal FF #: 2221

e-mail frostyj@cox.net
Old 08-29-2004, 08:40 PM   #6
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Quote:
Originally posted by blackandgold
One other important part that everyone who brings up GTA is forgetting is that you can play and beat that game without ever killing anyone at all. The game is based on the impulses of the player.
Just wanted to point out that this is not entirely true. You may be able to complete the missions and story line without killing anyone (i do not know, i have never tried) but it is impossible to get a 100% completion rating without killing someone. One thing you have to do in order to get the 100% completion rating is the rampage missions where you kill a certain number of gang members in a certain time limit. you simply cannot complete the game 100% without that. just wanted to point that out.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy_urn
Just wanted to point out that this is not entirely true. You may be able to complete the missions and story line without killing anyone (i do not know, i have never tried) but it is impossible to get a 100% completion rating without killing someone. One thing you have to do in order to get the 100% completion rating is the rampage missions where you kill a certain number of gang members in a certain time limit. you simply cannot complete the game 100% without that. just wanted to point that out.
Yeah that is true and believe me I along with everyone else that has played this game has never really gone through it without killing at least one person. I was just pointing out that the game is really based on the impulses of the player who plays it. Hell when i got a ticket a couple years ago I went home turned on GTA and started killing every cop I could. But as I said I would have never of thought about doing it in real life because I know better. I could just see a real killer being caught and asking the cops if he got that elusive 6 star rating!!
^ what the hell is that supposed to mean, you quote me and then put down some american eagle sh**
Old 08-29-2004, 08:52 PM   #8
ZETEC3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 81
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid grey ZX3, 95 240SX SE

FF Reputation: 1 ZETEC3 Good Standing Member
Re: You feelings on street racing

Quote:
Originally posted by zslaton
You think it does modders any good to have morons using their mods to break the law?
Like you have never broken the law in your car. Hell I can guarantee that you broke at least one traffic law the day or so you had the RS. Even the smart people who mod cars break the law when driving one the street, over 99% of the people who drive knowingly break the law at least once a day so don't act like your above them and the perfect driver. Also apart from the ratings system these street racing games and movies also have disclaimers and like others have said it's the parents who are at fault not the video game makers. But you get some parents who can take the blame themselves and launch movements blaming video games for there kids doing bad and school and whatnot its just retarded people need to just start taking responsibility.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:57 PM   #9
crazy_urn
Capt. Urn

Quote:
Originally posted by blackandgold
I could just see a real killer being caught and asking the cops if he got that elusive 6 star rating!!

yes, GTA is great anger management... lol.

but as i said earlier, there is a differance between the fictional world of video games and the real world. That is the way video games are designed. most of them are designed for the very specific purpose to do something you cannot do in the real world. (like seeing how many cops you can kill before they finally take you down, or street racing like an idiot with absolutly no reguard for the saftey of other drivers, causing a huge wreck, and everyone driving away with no damage.) Its not the entertainment industries fault that parents are too stupid to teach their kids what is fantasy and what is reality.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:05 PM   #10
blackandgold
Focus Fanatic

SRS and NFor Sale:Underground are nothing compared to the Burnout series where you are actually rewarded for causing huge accidents. I have yet to see that game get blamed but I am sure that will be the next one. I have a feeling the censorship won't stop until we have a world similar to the one in demoltion man. I will just reserve my spot in the underground now.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->