Track racing - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > General Racing Chat

General Racing Chat Use this Forum to discuss everything from launching off the line and four wheel drifts, to telling your favorite race tale. (Posting Rules)

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-27-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
sveetfocus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 59309
What I Drive: 2002 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sveetfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Track racing

I have always wanted to go to one of those fancy racing schools that teach you how to drive around a track, and pay a ton of money to do so. anyone know of any that aren't incredibly expensive but are still a great time? i'm located in the new england area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
dirtbiker348
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56380
What I Drive: 02 CD Silver SVT

Points 2,603, Level 31
Points: 2,603, Level: 31 Points: 2,603, Level: 31 Points: 2,603, Level: 31
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 dirtbiker348 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Englishtown has one, they have a brand new road coarse
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
tb1999
Focus Addict

Fan#: 44261
What I Drive: '05 ZX3 D2.3 & '03 Jag S-TYPE 4.2L

Points 24,567, Level 95
Points: 24,567, Level: 95 Points: 24,567, Level: 95 Points: 24,567, Level: 95
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 tb1999 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
I started doing track days in this area back in 2007. I have run with several clubs including EMRA, NASA, and SCCA. They hold events @ Pocono Raceway PA (on the 3 infield circuits), Lime Rock CT, New Jersey Motorsports Park (Millville NJ). If you are up for a 4.5 hour ride, you can also run with them at Watkins Glen in upstate NY, or Summit Point in WV.

Prices vary based on the track and club hosting the event. The least expensive being the E-town road course, but as you read below, I'm not too crazy about that facility. For the more professional venues, you will pay between $195 and $350 for a day at the track. EMRA charges $195 for a day at Pocono, or Summit Pt. Which is a great price, they also offer a $100 discount for "first timers" which means you can run @ Pocono for less than $100! Regardless of the club hosting the event, places like Lime Rock and Watkins Glen are expensive, typically between $325 - $395 for the day. NJMP is slightly cheaper.

EMRA (Eastern Motor Racing Association) is a well established local low key/low cost club that is alot of fun to run with. For my first 2 years, I ran most of the Time Trial events with them. They have plenty of guys with good experience and you can get excellent basic instruction for car control and driving the best line on track for a great price.

NASA is a national club with a limited presence in the North East. They have a partnership with a local club (Performance Drivers Association - PDA) to manage events in this area. I have run with them also, they offer instruction etc, but I personally do not enjoy running with them. Entry fees are higher than with EMRA, but I don't think you get much more for your $$$.

SCCA is the time honored national club that hosts events from the lowest levels of grassroots motorsports with regional auto cross events nationwide, to full blown professional race series like the Speed World Challenge/Koni Challenge etc. After I got licensed with SCCA for regional road racing, I have run with them almost exclusively. I have done one race event with EMRA, and I occasionally run a test day with EMRA or NASA now.

I have never run on the Englishtown road course except at lower speeds for some SCCA autocross events that have been run there. There is a "drivers club" of some sorts that is directly affiiliated with the Englishtown organization. While they do offer instruction, I feel that the track is very confined and does not have the best layout from a perspective of safety. I'm not saying it's "unsafe" it's just very unforgiving and under the wrong circumstances could be catastrophic. I have seen bad things happen at autocross events, just search youtube and you can see some ugly things happen in parking lots at speeds < 60mph. For the price and location, it might be worth taking a trip to e-Town just to get aquainted with the idea of turning wheels on a road course. Just don't use that as a representation of a proper road course venue, it's a very small and tight layout.

I would highly recommend EMRA as a better alternative, SCCA also holds some "PDX" events on the NJMP road course a couple times a year. NASA/PDA runs track days, and time trials many times a year.

Also FWIW, SCCA is the only club that offers liability insurance, included with the entrance fees. For details visit the SCCA national website, or inquire with one of the regional clubs.

Here are some links:
EMRA
http://www.emraracing.org/

SCCA (North NJ and South NJ regions)
www.scca-nnjr.org

SCCA National website for PDX info.
http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=36

www.sjr-scca.org

NASA
www.nasanortheast.com

Inventor of "The $0 Thunder Throttle" & "Focuzdax-7" brake swap.
I like the same qualities in women and pistons; Lightweight, fast, and with the smallest skirts possible...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.