Eye lids on headlights - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
dreamerbigdream
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75760
What I Drive: Blue Flame 2010 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 dreamerbigdream Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Eye lids on headlights

I've searched the forum and wasn't able to locate a thread that had a how to section in it. Is there a template that can be followed for painting on eye lids or general instructions on the proper way to do it? I like the look of them but don't want to screw up my headlights by doing it incorrectly or making it look retarded by making them to big or slanted. If there is already a thread for this please just link it in here and I'll read it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
milkweed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 40906
What I Drive: 2007 ford focus zx3 red

Points 732, Level 14
Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14 Points: 732, Level: 14
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 milkweed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
try this how to thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166911 hope it helps
Old 06-28-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
zx360
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

Points 16,704, Level 82
Points: 16,704, Level: 82 Points: 16,704, Level: 82 Points: 16,704, Level: 82
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
Best thing would be blue painters tape... make off the eyelid where you want painted and see how it looks.

If you had a 00-07 i would send you my paper templates i used to make the vinyl eyelids i sell... i dont have any for 08-10 yet though.

instagram @360DSGNS
Old 06-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
I did mine just a little while ago. I was painting them on so I had to have it right the 1st time. This is what I learned. 1: Your headlights are probably not the same height or angle as mounted. On my 7, the passenger side inner corner sticks out much further than the drivers side. I made metal templates of the proposed eyelid and discovered that the angle difference affected how the eyelids appeared from about 10 feet away (passenger side appeared lifted). I also found that the templates were not a dependable method as there placement was subject to movement upon multiple removal/applications. I suggest you get some blue painters tape (narrow), and some sharpies (3 different colors. they will wash off the lexan so no worries). Also a ruler with an end catch. metric preferred.
Measuring accurately and replicating on the opposite side can be a challenge depending on how curvy the headlamp is. I found that putting down some tick marks on the bottom and sides was helpful (use the ruler end catch to 'hook' the headlamp edge). Once you have some measured ticks mark down, you can then play with the painters tape to find the amount of eyebrow you want, and be reasonably assured that you have both sides equal (or at least split the difference between appearance and accuracy). It took me about 3 hours to figure this all out which really is not to bad I guess (I spent an hour dorking with the templates). Notes: 1:Do not trust paper implicitly. It can stretch. So if you put a tick mark on the tape say, remove and reapply later it may be off a tad. Just expect this. 2: If you spray, insure you have LOTS of drop cloth coverage for where you do not want the paint to go. norcalfocus01 has a thread (sticky?) discussing this. 3: Depending on color, insure you have an acceptable color match (one benefit of metal templates was I could paint them and check this 1st).
That is the highly accurate >anal< method.
Good Luck!
Edit>Add> It is also best practice that, once you have your paint lines drawn, remove the headlamps for painting. This negates the need for all the drop clothes and also insures you get a nice clean paint line near the seals.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
dreamerbigdream
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75760
What I Drive: Blue Flame 2010 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 dreamerbigdream Good Standing Member
Thanks for all the info. This seems like something I should be able to do with the free time I usually have.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #6
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Don't use the regular blue painters tape. Use either 3M 2080 blue tape, or the 3M green automotive tape. They have a thinner paper, so the line where you mask it off will not be as high and ridged.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
zx360
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

Points 16,704, Level 82
Points: 16,704, Level: 82 Points: 16,704, Level: 82 Points: 16,704, Level: 82
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
I only said the blue stuff to get the shape you like. I agree with chris, use the green 3m stuff for masking not blue tape.

instagram @360DSGNS
Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
clinton j
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72708
What I Drive: 2001 rainforest green metallic se

FF Reputation: 1 clinton j Good Standing Member
i did my eyelids with vinyl.. i liked the look, but the glue didnt hold to the vinyl, just to the light on one light and fell off a few weeks later... proubly just defective glue or what not, not a big deal.. i thought about painting them on too, but was thinking about useing nite shade.. with some clear coat over top of them... what do yall think bout that idea?
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
SilverST05
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103209
What I Drive: 2005 Silver Frost ST

Points 325, Level 6
Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6 Points: 325, Level: 6
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 SilverST05 Good Standing Member
Nice. I might try this soon.
"As soon as we're born we start dying, so you might as well have a good time."
Old 04-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #10
GreySkorpion
saved from the grave

Fan#: 94674
What I Drive: 2004 LG ZX5 2.3D

FF Reputation: 11 GreySkorpion Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
Don't use the regular blue painters tape. Use either 3M 2080 blue tape, or the 3M green automotive tape. They have a thinner paper, so the line where you mask it off will not be as high and ridged.
^^^This, plus with the thinner paper, you can create a rounded shape if you desire, I used it on my wheels to mask off the lip.

Bookmarks & Social Networks