Rally Mods for a 2000 ZX3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Road Racing & Rally

Road Racing & Rally The place to discuss information about road/rally racing stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
FocusRallyFan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 79017
What I Drive: 2000 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusRallyFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Rally Mods for a 2000 ZX3

Hey, everyone.

I recently purchased a Blue 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 and I am quite interested in Rally racing. I am not very interested in big time rally racing right now, I am mostly doing it for recreational purposes. I don't think I will be doing any real races anytime soon, just having fun on some private roads with friends.

My question to you guys here is what kind of mods can I make to my car to make it better for some medium off-roading. I realize I will probably have to build myself a skid plate and I was wondering if I could get some tips on that as well. I am not really looking into exterior as that is just a waste of money in my opinion.

So to sum it all up, some cheap-ish mods I can make to my car to give it some extra hp, new suspension? Some tips on that as well, some suggestions for a skid plate, maybe some pictures of what other people have done would be nice, some tires/rims suggestions, and anything else that you think would be necessary to have.

My limit I am wiling to spend would probably be around 2-3k but preferably cheaper the better as this will not be in any professional races or anything. Mods in order of importance would be nice as it won't all be happening at once, but as I get the money. And I realize some of you will probably flame me etc etc, just realize this is for fun and not anything else and I really appreciate anyone who will take the time to help me out!

Thanks again, Peter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

Fan#: 53541
What I Drive: 01 zx3 s2 x2, 02 SVT, Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 42 mlbbaseball Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (67)
well, for safety, you need a roll cage, there goes ur 3k right there, suspension, adjustable is around 2k from hotbits. skid plate is custom, and seats, and other safety gear. if you wanted, rally lighting. etc. you need to up ur budget to about 6-7k just to get appropriate safety equipment between hans, seats and cage. there is no such thing as medium rally, either you do rallycross in which case you need nothing, or a rally car which is safe for any terrain, there really isn't any inbetween.

2004 SVT EAP partout, PM me with needs.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
FocusRallyFan
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
well, for safety, you need a roll cage, there goes ur 3k right there, suspension, adjustable is around 2k from hotbits. skid plate is custom, and seats, and other safety gear. if you wanted, rally lighting. etc. you need to up ur budget to about 6-7k just to get appropriate safety equipment between hans, seats and cage. there is no such thing as medium rally, either you do rallycross in which case you need nothing, or a rally car which is safe for any terrain, there really isn't any inbetween.
Okay, it is a possibility that I could up my budget, but could you list the items that you would consider a necessity for a rally car w/ approximate prices and some examples of where I can get them? I would appreciate it greatly.

-Peter
Old 09-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

ok, to start, the basic rally roll cage:

these are usually custom made. you can contact rally america for this. they usually run about 3000 ish.

so:
Rally Cage- 3,000
Rally seats- 1,500 (pair)
belts - 300
hans helmet- 1,000
coilover setup- 2,000
skid plates - 300

thats prolly just what you need to be safe, then there are tires as well, but thats the bare minimum!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
FocusRallyFan
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbbaseball View Post
ok, to start, the basic rally roll cage:

these are usually custom made. you can contact rally america for this. they usually run about 3000 ish.

so:
Rally Cage- 3,000
Rally seats- 1,500 (pair)
belts - 300
hans helmet- 1,000
coilover setup- 2,000
skid plates - 300

thats prolly just what you need to be safe, then there are tires as well, but thats the bare minimum!
Alrighty I appreciate the help, do you think that with some build designs I could build the roll cage myself? I am actually a relatively experienced welder.

Also, I was wondering what the difference would be if I bought some cheaper rally seats, probably not quite as comfortable but would they get the job done?

I found the site with the hotbits suspension but which setup would be best/cheapest for my car? Also maybe you could link me to somewhere with a bit more information than what I found..

Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it
Old 09-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
If you are interested in Rally, and are on a budget, check out rallycross events (not european rallycross)

-Safety gear requirements are minimal
-You get to slide around in the dirt
-Lap times are cumulative, kind of like stage times at a rally
-slap some snow tires on some steelies, stock suspension, you're good to go

I've never done it personally, but it looks like a blast

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
mlbbaseball
Shot me 3 deer!!!

the cheapest seats that are FIA homolugated are the sparco sprints at 400/peice. then you have the belts, at about 125/peice for the cheapest ones.

as for the cage, yes, you can fab up your own, but you need a mandrel bender. make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME ON THE WELDS. they ultrasound EVERY single weld. you also have to keep reciepts of the sizes and diameters of all tubing. they check if ur not a certified cage maker. the guidelines for the cage building are on RA's website. if you have questions, email mike hurst at tech@rally-america.com he can point you in the right direction and answer any questions you have about constructing a rally car!

Bookmarks & Social Networks