Drivers Side Electric Window Not Working - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Insomniak
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 76291
What I Drive: 2001 Focus 1.6 Zetec Automatic

FF Reputation: 1 Insomniak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Drivers Side Electric Window Not Working

Hi, I bought a Focus over the weekend and I was aware that the window was not working before buying, I assumed it would be an easy fix.

The Drivers side switch works the passenger window with no problems, but when you press the drivers window button nothing happens, the motor doesn't even attempt to work.

I have checked the fuse and they are fused together so if ones works then it can't be the fuse.

I have taken the door panel off and tried given the motor a few taps as I've read elsewhere that this is sometimes all it needs, however nothing still happend. So I then applied direct current to the motor on the white wire which then proceeded to wind the window down, so I established the motor works going down, but then putting current direct to the yellow wire just made sparks and the wire burning a little. I used my small knowledge of electronics to then cut and reverse the wires so I could apply current to the "up" wire on the motor and at least managed to get the window back up!

I now know the motor works up and down, but there must be some problem with the wiring between the switch and the motor connector. When currents applied to the the down wire it will go down but the up wire just seems to short out.

I've also put a volt meter on the wires just before they get to the motor and there doesn't seem to be any current getting there.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Could it be the actual switch unit that needs replacing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
FocusRebuilder
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62313
What I Drive: 2006 ZX5 SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 5 FocusRebuilder Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniak View Post
Hi, I bought a Focus over the weekend and I was aware that the window was not working before buying, I assumed it would be an easy fix.

The Drivers side switch works the passenger window with no problems, but when you press the drivers window button nothing happens, the motor doesn't even attempt to work.

I have checked the fuse and they are fused together so if ones works then it can't be the fuse.

I have taken the door panel off and tried given the motor a few taps as I've read elsewhere that this is sometimes all it needs, however nothing still happend. So I then applied direct current to the motor on the white wire which then proceeded to wind the window down, so I established the motor works going down, but then putting current direct to the yellow wire just made sparks and the wire burning a little. I used my small knowledge of electronics to then cut and reverse the wires so I could apply current to the "up" wire on the motor and at least managed to get the window back up!

I now know the motor works up and down, but there must be some problem with the wiring between the switch and the motor connector. When currents applied to the the down wire it will go down but the up wire just seems to short out.

I've also put a volt meter on the wires just before they get to the motor and there doesn't seem to be any current getting there.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Could it be the actual switch unit that needs replacing?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
If the motor works in both directions then it must be the switch. Check the voltage on the contacts right at the switch while holding it in the open and closed positions. A new switch shouldn't be too expensive from Ford, but I would try locating one from a salvage yard. Check the dealership price first.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Not sure what you were hooking up to when,or what you meant by "cut & reverse" - window motors these days usually work by reversing polarity for the two directions.

problems with the motor not getting power are more likely to be wiring issues where the wires flex going into the door, than a switch being bad - judging from what others with your problem have found after tracing the issue.

Probably a good place to look - if there's power at the switch and none at the motor...
Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
beastyben1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 76241
What I Drive: 2003 ZTS, 2001 Civic EX

FF Reputation: 1 beastyben1 Good Standing Member
I think I have a similar issue.

Rear pass window all of the sudden would only go down. I torn it apart, figuring the motor was bad, replaced with re-manufactured and same problem. Then I switched out the driver master control unit, nothing. Then switched out the little button on the rear pass door and WOW it worked.

Driver side switch: $40 at junkyard (but i got a few items for free with it including the rear pass button)

Cool, put stuff back together and just for fun tried it and ONLY DOWN again! The motor goes up and down perfectly on the other rear door. Waited a few minutes then it worked both ways again (although the up went down and down went up??) but now its back to down only.

I used a test light at the 2-pin to the motor, lights up and lights up in the little button connections.

It is so weird. I brought back the reman for another one. Out of ideas. I cleaned the connection between the door.

Last edited by beastyben1; 07-01-2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added junkyard prices
Old 01-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
forest5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94484
What I Drive: ford focus 2002 black

FF Reputation: 1 forest5 Good Standing Member
I have the same problem....help me please.

Window would not come up and was told to tap the motor and it went up, but it will not come down now.

Told to buy a new switch (still didnt work) then was told i needed a new motor. Looked at the motor and slightly pushed the plug (would love to know what its called) that has a yellow and white wire and goes into the motor and the window worked for a while.

after messing around trying to get it working all the time it stopped working all together. It seemed that by me pushing the 'plug' it was working. I cut the plug out (easy enough to put back on, i hope) and tested the yellow and white wire and there was power.

something tells me that the motor is ok when it gets power to it but something may be wrong with this clip thing as I have a new switch.

Does anyone know what i should do? get a new clip thingy from scrap yard? New motor?

Not sure what to do know :-(

Last edited by forest5; 01-30-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Bookmarks & Social Networks