P0125 code, temp gauge stays low... - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
p58ff
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25247
What I Drive: 2010 Red 4-Door SES

FF Reputation: 1 p58ff Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
P0125 code, temp gauge stays low...

Hello all. Well, I've got a 2002 SPI Auto LX Focus. Just recently the temp gauge has been staying lower than usual and it finally returned the P0125 code.

I searched the FF site and got tons of returns. Looks like the most likely cause is the coolant temp sensor that mounts in the thermostat housing. (Another question about that in a minute.)

I replaced the sensor and the code still comes back. I figured that maybe the thermostat is bad so I removed it and tested it, boiling water, and it opened fine and closed with the application of cold water.

Any ideas as to what to look for next? Is there another sensor that I am missing?

No leaks, fans running and kicking in with A/C, resistor/thermal switch look OK. It does not overheat but I do think the car is running a little 'off'. Cannot put my finger on it but I feel like it might be a little sluggish.

Now, about the thermostat housing. It looks like the thermostat and housing are one entire assembly but the info that I come up with says differently. My housing has the small hose and larger hose outlets up front and a medium size outlet at the back. Three bolts and the coolant temp sensor mounting hole. What do you guys see on your 2002's?

Thanks.

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
niggly51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74542
What I Drive: Xantia 1.9td & Wifes Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 19 niggly51 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It varies with engine, but my temp sensor is in the cylinder head between plugs 2 and 3. It is called a cylinder head temp sensor. The one in the thermostat is for control of the cooling fans I believe.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,955, Level 71
Points: 11,955, Level: 71 Points: 11,955, Level: 71 Points: 11,955, Level: 71
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Niggly - From what I've heard here, I think the SPI uses the older style water temp sensor that sticks into the coolant as opposed to the cyl. head temp sensor on newer designs...

OP - Just when do the fans run, only both with A/C or does one or both kick on at other times...
Old 06-20-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
p58ff
Focus Enthusiast

Both fans on with A/C engaged; fan speed seems to 'step-down' while still running after A/C is turned off and finally stop. Not sure if the fan on the drivers side stopped or kept running. Temps here yesterday were upper 80's and I had taken a test drive of about 5 miles. The CEL lamp is still off as of this morning but I've only driven about 20 or so miles since yesterday.

Brian
Old 06-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,955, Level 71
Points: 11,955, Level: 71 Points: 11,955, Level: 71 Points: 11,955, Level: 71
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Well, just have to see what happens with more time - As long as coolant is full, the system may have "purged" itself now, and hadn't the first time the code recurred. Keep an eye on temp, and note when which fans turn on if it stays abnormal - if normal now I'd say you found the problem...
Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
p58ff
Focus Enthusiast

Still setting a code darn it....I am beginning to think there may be a wiring problem...maybe a bad connector.

B
Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
niggly51
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74542
What I Drive: Xantia 1.9td & Wifes Focus 1.4

FF Reputation: 19 niggly51 Great Standing Member
The P0125 code:
"This means that the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor indicates that the engine has not reached the required temperature level to enter closed-loop operation within a specified amount of time after starting the engine."

From this it appears that the ECU takes it's fuelling data from the rate of coolant heating and any reading out of the specified range throws a code. I'm guessing that something is stopping or appearing to stop, the coolant getting hot enough in the required time. The possibilities could be:
1) Faulty water pump- slow circulation.
2) Thermostat temperature too low.
3) Faulty thermostat.
4) Faulty sensor.
5) Incorrect sensor- wrong temp profile.
6) Wiring problem......maybe.

Just my thoughts....
Old 06-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #8
p58ff
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, this one is an odd duck.

It does not over heat so I would surmise it's not a water pump. Thermostat is original from Ford. I 'boiled' the thermostat and it opens and then closes with cold water application. Sensor is new...I would hope the profile would be correct. I was just guessing about the wiring. I may find a crashed Focus and lop off the connector and re-splice it into my harness.

Maybe if I just put black tape over the CEL........

Thanks for your suggestions.

Brian
Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
don627
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56863
What I Drive: 2007 infra-red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 don627 Good Standing Member
i would replace the thermostat the temp that it open at is what you are looking for. Ive seen bad thermostats open in boiling water but they open so soon that the engine takes too long to get to operating temp hence the cel. the ecu only gives the engine a set amount of time to get to operating temp if it doesn't it it set the code. thermostats are cheap and don't last much longer than 50,000 miles anyway.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
p58ff
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, I can try that I suppose. Need to find the correct 'stat as the one in there looks like it is a one-piece affair; the housing and thermostat are a unit. 50K miles..well got that beat by 100K! HA!

Brian

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.