SPI header install :D - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
mikebontoft
Gets more V8

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 1994 Toyota 4Runner

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Talking SPI header install :D

Anyway, I finally decided to get a header...... so as it stands I have the header with a cat delete, that leads out to a 2.25" system with a magnaflow muffler.

I'm right in the middle trying to decide whether I want a very small resonator put in or leave it as is.

you'll notice in the video that it sounds like maybe I have a bad manifold gasket or something.......I still haven't blocked off the egr tubing on the header itself, so it's still escaping from there. hoping to fix it, well, soon. lol.

couple pictures I took of certain stages it was in.

the first time I tried to install it, the piping was WAY off so I drove open header with a dump tube for a couple days (VERY loud. LOL) so that's the first two videos here:

Then this is the header install, first time (with the SLIGHT misalignment )

what it looks like installed:

and what it sounds like now being hooked up to the rest of the system, except for the egr tubing I haven't blocked off yet. I have to admit, it definitely sounds like a subaru and I am very happy about that. I will take another video (still uploading one now as well) when I fix the egr tubing.

SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-selling) | '94 Toyota 4Runner SR5 "Roach" (daily-stockish) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car)
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonOvr View Post
I had a spare tire go up in flames once, my truck was hit with an rpg though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Sounds monstrous, Mike. Looks nice from up top, too. You gonna wrap it up?
Old 06-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
That sounds awesome Mike! It looks so pretty too.

Next figure out ow to do the Mustang TB mod.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
mikebontoft
Gets more V8

and yes I'm definitely thinking about wrapping it for sure. I was afraid maybe the two were melted together but of course they're not..... definitely want to wrap it because I'm also tired of burning myself. LOL.

edit: also lookie I got that second promised video up and hosted now (too bad I had the camera touching part of the headrest. vibrations FTL)

SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 in progress) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-selling) | '94 Toyota 4Runner SR5 "Roach" (daily-stockish) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod) | '75 BMW 2002 "unnamed" (donor race car)
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Quote:
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
norcalfocus01
Registered

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Membernorcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Ive been on that freeway.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
mikebontoft
Gets more V8

lol. so have I (well I hope I have been LOL)

did you see the tiburon though? I was just accelerating as normal and then he just had to floor it
Quote:
Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
mikebontoft
Gets more V8

Also, anyone think that I'd probably do well with an 18" resonator? I know it sounds nice on the video but it is pretty loud in person...... really just when I accelerate. you can hear it reverb off the buildings just a bit too (in the video I mean) I just wanna make the whole mess quieter when it gets to say 3,500 rpm because that's when it starts to get loud.
Quote:
Old 06-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
dirtbiker348
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56380
What I Drive: 02 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 0 dirtbiker348 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Sounds good, almost sounds like my svt with the magnaflow muffler. Your car gets louder after 3,500 bc of the intake runners opening at that time, it gets really crackly with out a cat at that time huh? lol. with an intake and tb it made it much deeper and muffled the sound after 3,500 rpm for my spi, but i didnt have a cat back; jus header, orp, intake and tb.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #9
mikebontoft
Gets more V8

yeah I wondered if anyone else would catch on to the runners opening at said rpm. I think ill just order a resonator and put it on in a bit. its still loud enough to vibrate the whole car lol. but having an exhaust leak (because the egr tube is still open) doesn't help matters much either.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #10
norcalfocus01
Registered

Yes a resinator would help.

Bookmarks & Social Networks