To anyone who bought Saleen wheels from Massive... - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Marketplace > Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews

Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews Good or Bad dealings? Post your vendor, dealer or seller recommendations, feedback and comments here. Members who knowingly post false or malicious information will be banned from the site.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Roland07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
To anyone who bought Saleen wheels from Massive...

Please don't take this the wrong way, I love Massive and will definitely do business with them again. But BUYER BEWARE, if you bought this package. I don't know if Massive was responsible for the mount and balance, and I hope they weren't.

They offered a deal a while back, on overstock Saleen wheels. $750 for four alloys, tires, mounted, balanced and shipped. Seemed like a good idea.

I needed to replace the terrible Kumho tires on my front wheels today, and when they balanced my wheels, I was surprised to find that they were SEVERAL OUNCES out of balance. The tech told me "it seems like they just slapped weights in random places."

I would initially credit this to the new tires, but I only had two replaced. When I asked them to check the other two wheels, with the original Kumhos, they were also grossly out of balance.

Cost me $20 to balance the other two, which is not something to cry about, but I still have no idea what the out-of-balance wheels did to the rest of my suspension, aside from ruin the ride quality and high-speed stability of my vehicle.

If you bought this package, and haven't had it checked, PLEASE do so.

L.O.T.H. #9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
BeeFzX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46655
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 40 BeeFzX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
every balancing machine balances differently, so if you balance on one and then try to balances on another it will show that it's not balanced.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
focuzshot
Banned

Fan#: 72279
What I Drive: 0001 golden gold zx8

FF Reputation: -2 focuzshot Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
of course theyr different, but if it was balanced then why did the other machine says not? is there more than one kind of balance? its obviuosly not properly done LOL
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
If they were unbalanced then wouldn't you have felt it before you replaced the tires? Tires get out of balance over time from wear and tear. Now if they were brand new out the box and you put them on your car then got on the highway and was like WTF then yeah. So is that what happened?

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 06-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing MemberPeregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
^True. Everytime you get new tires, a rebalance is mandatory. So I wouldn't be so quick to blame Massive for the problem.

You can have the same set of wheels for twenty years and I guarantee you that weights will be placed in almost every spot on each wheel everytime you by new rubber for them.

Yes tires are a circle, but there are variances even between the same brand and model.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
BeeFzX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46655
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 40 BeeFzX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by focuzshot View Post
of course theyr different, but if it was balanced then why did the other machine says not? is there more than one kind of balance? its obviuosly not properly done LOL
yes if your wheels are balanced and you put them on another machine it will say that they are not

we did this experiment:
balanced on one, then put it on the machine next to it and they were off balance. put it on the 3rd one also unbalanced. put back on 1st-everything balanced

balanced on the 2nd, again unbalanced on the 1st and 3rd.

I could not believe it myself...
Old 06-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing MemberPeregrine Excellent Standing Member
I'm glad that the shop I use has a Hunter touchless balancing machine.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
K Dog
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 23554
What I Drive: Car

FF Reputation: 10 K Dog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Truth is we havent had any of those wheels in about 2 years. 2 years of driving on a set of wheels and tires (so much that they needed to be replaced) will expose them to numerous road hazards and lots of tire wear. Balance is something that we set here for our many local customers as well as those whom we ship to remotely - but once they are driven there can be no gaurantee that wont change.

We only use Hoffmann brand German made mounting and balancing equipment as they seem to offer a very high degree of accuracy.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Meh.... Karl, you don't need to explain yourself. I just think that he wanted someone to point the finger at.

Besides, the last time you had Saleen wheels in your shop was about three years ago, right? I remember you trying to get me to buy them.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Roland07
Focus Addict

Fan#: 51147
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 51 Roland07 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Meh.... Karl, you don't need to explain yourself. I just think that he wanted someone to point the finger at.
Did you read my post? This isn't a flame, or a finger-pointing, I like Massive and will buy from them again.

Seems I didn't fully understand how balancing works, and as a result was in the wrong, but I posted this in case anyone else bought the same rims. =/
L.O.T.H. #9

Bookmarks & Social Networks